ASUS P5B - SE i965P and Linux - Hardware

This is a discussion on ASUS P5B - SE i965P and Linux - Hardware ; Hi, Now I'm a win's user but I'm trying to learn linux, because I would like to use this opetative system soon. As I want to buy a new pc, I need to know if this motherboard ( http://tinyurl.com/35vb96 ) ...

  1. ASUS P5B - SE i965P and Linux

    Hi,
    Now I'm a win's user but I'm trying to learn linux, because I would like to
    use this opetative system soon.
    As I want to buy a new pc, I need to know if this motherboard (
    http://tinyurl.com/35vb96 ) fits to linux.
    Thanks everybody,
    Gabri

  2. Re: ASUS P5B - SE i965P and Linux

    On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 21:19:32 +0200, Gabri wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Now I'm a win's user but I'm trying to learn linux, because I would like
    > to use this opetative system soon.
    > As I want to buy a new pc, I need to know if this motherboard (
    > http://tinyurl.com/35vb96 ) fits to linux. Thanks everybody,
    > Gabri

    That motherboard will work fine as long as you use a recent distribution.
    My suggestion would be to use Fedora 7.

  3. Re: ASUS P5B - SE i965P and Linux

    Thanks a lot!! Yes, I didn't know which distribution I could have used...
    I'll search information about it! Thanks! Gabri

    "General Schvantzkopf" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > That motherboard will work fine as long as you use a recent distribution.
    > My suggestion would be to use Fedora 7.

  4. Re: ASUS P5B - SE i965P and Linux

    Gabri wrote:
    > Thanks a lot!! Yes, I didn't know which distribution I could have used...
    > I'll search information about it! Thanks! Gabri
    >

    > "General Schvantzkopf" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> That motherboard will work fine as long as you use a recent distribution.
    >> My suggestion would be to use Fedora 7.

    Mepis and PCLinuxOS work fine on mine, too.

  5. Re: ASUS P5B - SE i965P and Linux

    ok! Good! Thanks againg! Gabri

    "AHappyCamper" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Mepis and PCLinuxOS work fine on mine, too.

  6. Re: ASUS P5B - SE i965P and Linux

    And does it work fine with linux kubuntu 6.06 32bit? Thanks!! Gabri

    "Gabri" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Hi,
    > Now I'm a win's user but I'm trying to learn linux, because I would like
    > to use this opetative system soon.
    > As I want to buy a new pc, I need to know if this motherboard (
    > http://tinyurl.com/35vb96 ) fits to linux.
    > Thanks everybody,
    > Gabri

  7. Re: ASUS P5B - SE i965P and Linux

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:32:26 +0200, Gabri wrote:

    > And does it work fine with linux kubuntu 6.06 32bit? Thanks!! Gabri
    >

    > "Gabri" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Hi,
    >> Now I'm a win's user but I'm trying to learn linux, because I would
    >> like to use this opetative system soon.
    >> As I want to buy a new pc, I need to know if this motherboard (
    >> http://tinyurl.com/35vb96 ) fits to linux. Thanks everybody,
    >> Gabri

    If you want to use Ubuntu with that board use Feisty or Gutsy. 965 boards
    need a 2.6.19 or better kernel because they use external MACs that didn't
    have drivers in the pre-.19 kernels. 6.06 is pretty old so it's installer
    is likely to have a pre-.19 kernel.

  8. Re: ASUS P5B - SE i965P and Linux

    On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:10:43 +0200, Gabri wrote:

    > ok! Good! Thanks againg! Gabri
    >
    > "AHappyCamper" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Mepis and PCLinuxOS work fine on mine, too.

    I don't know about the P5B board, but I just bought a P5K board, and I
    could kick myself that I bought Asus again. It's a trail of tears every
    time.

    My last MB was an Elite-Group, I think, on my 21 inch screen I was able
    to get 1600x1200. That was a year or two ago. Now I have a brand-new
    P5K and all I can get is 1280x1024.

    Plus, they dropped the ps/2 mouse and serial ports (no more faxing).

    The last time I bought Asus, I had so much trouble and unimpressive
    support, both for a main board and a dvd drive. I don't understand why I
    didn't buy the Asrock.

+ Reply to Thread