Expresscard poor support? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Expresscard poor support? - Hardware ; Hi, I have a nice shiny new Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop (dual core AMD64 turion, 1GB ram) with an expresscard slot on the side (fyi, this is the replacement for pcmcia/cardbus). As I have an external ieee1394 drive, and the ...

  1. Expresscard poor support?

    Hi, I have a nice shiny new Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop (dual core
    AMD64 turion, 1GB ram) with an expresscard slot on the side (fyi, this
    is the replacement for pcmcia/cardbus). As I have an external
    ieee1394 drive, and the laptop has no ieee1394 connector, I bought a
    firewire expresscard (Belkin model F5U506, which also has a usb
    connector on it. It uses a Texas chip which afaik is well supported,
    and Belkin say it's fully expresscard standards compliant). The
    laptop has Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) installed on it which in general
    has been lovely to use.

    First test: Plug in the expresscard and see if it's detected and the
    relevant modules loaded
    This failed. Even after
    modprobe pciehp
    modprobe pci-hotplug
    (and anything else i could think of!)
    it still failed to be detected when plugged in

    Second test: Plug the expresscard in with the computer off, and start
    the computer
    This worked. The ieee1394 and ohci1394 modules were loaded.

    Third and subsequent tests: Connect an external drive to the card and
    try to use it.
    Initially, the sbp2 module was loaded, the drive showed up, but the
    directories on it showed as unidentified files (ie, I couldn't access
    them). On further testing, attempting to mount the partitions
    resulted in errors along the lines of "not a valid block device".

    As I only have a crappy unreliable miniature usb wire on a reel (which
    doesn't even work with the regular usb sockets!), I haven't been able
    to test the usb support on the card.

    This is my initial appraisal - can't do much testing as doing it
    during my work lunchbreak.

    Hope someone can help with hotplugging the card and getting my drive
    to appear correctly!

  2. Re: Expresscard poor support?

    In article <1187615522.792567.267580@a39g2000hsc.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >First test: Plug in the expresscard and see if it's detected and the
    >relevant modules loaded
    >This failed. Even after
    >modprobe pciehp
    >modprobe pci-hotplug
    >(and anything else i could think of!)
    >it still failed to be detected when plugged in

    Would some of the tools needed for PC Card/CardBus support also apply to
    ExpressCard slots? You might check your distro's notebook-setup
    documentation.

    >Third and subsequent tests: Connect an external drive to the card and
    >try to use it.
    >Initially, the sbp2 module was loaded, the drive showed up, but the
    >directories on it showed as unidentified files (ie, I couldn't access
    >them). On further testing, attempting to mount the partitions
    >resulted in errors along the lines of "not a valid block device".

    Some FireWire-to-IDE adapters get their power from the FireWire connection
    instead of the power supply in the drive enclosure. Unless your FireWire
    card has a separate power supply attached to it, it's unlikely that it'd
    supply enough power. (If it has 4-pin connectors instead of 6-pin
    connectors, it doesn't supply power at all.) You might try putting a
    powered FireWire hub between the computer and the drive and see if that
    works.

    _/_
    (IIGS( http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
    \_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  3. Re: Expresscard poor support?

    On 20 Aug, 19:45, sc...@alfter.DIESPAMMERSDIE.us (Scott Alfter) wrote:
    > In article <1187615522.792567.267...@a39g2000hsc.googlegroups. com>,
    >

    > >it still failed to be detected when plugged in

    > Would some of the tools needed for PC Card/CardBus support also apply to
    > ExpressCard slots? You might check your distro's notebook-setup
    > documentation.

    Good idea - I will investigate

    > >Third and subsequent tests: Connect an external drive to the card and
    > >try to use it.

    > Some FireWire-to-IDE adapters get their power from the FireWire connection
    > powered FireWire hub between the computer and the drive and see if that
    > works.

    I didn't give quite enough info in my original post. The drive is a
    regular hard drive in a case with a (Prolific) bridge device in it,
    which gives a usb and a ieee1394 connector. It worked fine on my old
    laptop (a Vaio) which has a built in 4 pin iLink (ieee1394) connector,
    - since the old Vaio's usb is 1.1 I used the iLink connection. As I
    think ieee1394 is a cool technology I want to stick with it.

    I've got a better usb cable with me today, and tried the drive with
    the new expresscard's usb connection using that, and it works fine, so
    I know the expresscard is working. I re-booted into windows and tried
    the ieee1394 connection - it didn't work at first but then I played
    with the cable a bit and it found the drive. So I reckon I've a dodgy
    cable - so that's my next thing to try an alternative to.

    I then re-booted into Ubuntu again with the connection established as
    working - it picked up the drive but didn't find any folders or
    files. I just hope this is down to the dodgy cable!

    Thanks for the help - I will investigate what tools there are to
    support hotplugging the card, though I don't think the standard pcmcia/
    cardbus tools support the new standard (as it no longer has all the
    bridge circuitry)

    Alexis

+ Reply to Thread