Asus M2N32 sli deluxe - Hardware

This is a discussion on Asus M2N32 sli deluxe - Hardware ; I am having two troubles with my new system. It locks up randomly if I am using either of the two optical drives for any length of time. This is the same in widnoze and during failed attempts to install ...

  1. Asus M2N32 sli deluxe

    I am having two troubles with my new system. It locks up randomly if
    I am using either of the two optical drives for any length of time.
    This is the same in widnoze and during failed attempts to install
    suze. I've been doing odd things in the bios, to no avail.

    During windows installation it got very upset trying to install
    support for the IDE, and I had to bully it quite hard. Copied the
    whole driver package on via a memory stick and ran it from the hard
    disk in the end.

    Secondly, I could only get suse to boot "noapic" - same with Fedora,
    which I have now installed. without the parameter the boot kernel
    panics with messages about a timer and apic not working.

    Fedora 7 is now installed, but in the start up log it says, many
    times:
    Aug 19 17:51:52 Harvey10 kernel: Nvidia board detected. Ignoring ACPI
    timer override.
    Aug 19 17:51:52 Harvey10 kernel: If you got timer trouble try
    acpi_use_timer_override.

    Any thoughts? It seems as though I have bought a buggy mother board,
    but it's all pretty main line stuff.

  2. Re: Asus M2N32 sli deluxe

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 10:44:51 -0700, robertharvey wrote:

    > I am having two troubles with my new system. It locks up randomly if I
    > am using either of the two optical drives for any length of time. This
    > is the same in widnoze and during failed attempts to install suze. I've
    > been doing odd things in the bios, to no avail.
    >
    > During windows installation it got very upset trying to install support
    > for the IDE, and I had to bully it quite hard. Copied the whole driver
    > package on via a memory stick and ran it from the hard disk in the end.
    >
    > Secondly, I could only get suse to boot "noapic" - same with Fedora,
    > which I have now installed. without the parameter the boot kernel
    > panics with messages about a timer and apic not working.
    >
    > Fedora 7 is now installed, but in the start up log it says, many times:
    > Aug 19 17:51:52 Harvey10 kernel: Nvidia board detected. Ignoring ACPI
    > timer override.
    > Aug 19 17:51:52 Harvey10 kernel: If you got timer trouble try
    > acpi_use_timer_override.
    >
    > Any thoughts? It seems as though I have bought a buggy mother board,
    > but it's all pretty main line stuff.

    Is your BIOS at the latest rev? The first thing I would do is update the
    BIOS to the latest release.

  3. Re: Asus M2N32 sli deluxe

    On 19 Aug, 20:26, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > Is your BIOS at the latest rev? The first thing I would do is update the
    > BIOS to the latest release.

    Well, it says it is. I am beginning to think that the IDE problem is
    the Liteon all-write drive, which I bought because it does DVDram. I
    can't believe how good DVDram is in Linux - it is like a giant
    floppy. You mount it and write to it. In windows, of course, it is
    like juggling paving slabs.

    Fedora runs just fine, only I can't figure out how to configure it - I
    am an old Suse or Mandriva man. But you must learn, musn't you?

  4. Re: Asus M2N32 sli deluxe

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:49:22 -0700, robertharvey wrote:

    > On 19 Aug, 20:26, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> Is your BIOS at the latest rev? The first thing I would do is update
    >> the BIOS to the latest release.

    > Well, it says it is. I am beginning to think that the IDE problem is
    > the Liteon all-write drive, which I bought because it does DVDram. I
    > can't believe how good DVDram is in Linux - it is like a giant floppy.
    > You mount it and write to it. In windows, of course, it is like
    > juggling paving slabs.
    >
    > Fedora runs just fine, only I can't figure out how to configure it - I
    > am an old Suse or Mandriva man. But you must learn, musn't you?

    I do most of my configuration with Webmin, it works for almost all
    distros and it's very easy to use. It works through the browser so you
    can configure any machine on your network. Get the RPM from http://
    www.webmin.com.

  5. Re: Asus M2N32 sli deluxe

    On 19 Aug, 18:44, roberthar...@my-deja.com wrote:
    > Any thoughts? It seems as though I have bought a buggy mother board,
    > but it's all pretty main line stuff.

    Obviously not so main line as all that. In linux the ethernet ports
    are configured eth0 on the left, eth1 on the right. When I finally
    got the "nvidia enumerator" to load in windows, it configured them 1
    on the left, 2 on the right, but after subsequent reboots they are now
    the other way around in windows.

    It has to be said that, ignoring my problems installing Suse, the
    Fedora installation was stick the disk in, answer questions, wait,
    boot, answer questions, go. I had to boot again after I changed to
    static IP addresses (the dhcp client in Fedora seems not to understand
    my router). 2 hours max. 2 boots, one more than I was expecting.
    Easy, and did what was expected.

    Windows I had to shuffle disks: motherboard drivers, graphics drivers,
    sata patches, printer drivers, the works. about 25 reboots, and it
    still isn't working the way I want it to. Trying to load the IDE
    motherboard drivers was a nightmare - how are you supposed to do that
    if the optical disks don't work? Luckily I had another machine to
    copy them to memory stick, but hey - suppose it was machine one? Damn
    thing booted and installed off the windows disk (to which I had
    supposedly slipstreamed the motherboard drivers, but only the SATA
    ones got picked up and used that way). For Glod's sake, it asked me
    to reboot after installing a larger font for the desktop icons. I
    told it to bog off.

    Why do people think windows is easy?

    Now I find the boot disk is getting noisier every day, so I will have
    to order another and clone it.

  6. Re: Asus M2N32 sli deluxe

    On 19 Aug, 20:26, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > Is your BIOS at the latest rev? The first thing I would do is update the
    > BIOS to the latest release.

    Well,, that served me right. I had a poke about and found a more up
    to date one and installed it.
    That has convinced widnose that every device driver I struggled to
    install (pci device, nforce enumerator etc etc have been replaced It
    is currently installing loads of things again.

    ALong the way it renumbered the the ethernet ports 3 and 4. Oh well,
    as long as it is happy.

    And it has re-allocated all the drive letters, so that I will have to
    edit the Fedora setup where everything was set up to match.

    Only downside to Fedora so far. I had created a separate parttion on
    one disk for boot, swap, and the various bin locations, so that /home
    tc would be on anohter spindle. I ahve found this makes a more
    responsive disk. Fedora decided to lump all those partions to gether
    as one lvm pool, for /, so I cannot now access the fedora drives from
    windows with any of the ext2/3 mounting programmes - they don't appear
    to understand lvm in windows.

    I don't really care - I will be booting Fedora 80% of the time anyway.

  7. Re: Asus M2N32 sli deluxe

    On 20 Aug, 23:24, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > you shouldn't have to dual boot unless you are playing games, you should
    > be able to stay in Linux 99.98% of the time.

    I share the machine with my wife - we used to have one each, and mine
    was linux only, but we are running out of space. I am not sure that
    the licence for XP allows me to install it in a VM, either.

    I have a sack of good windows software, serif PagePlus for example,
    and a photo printer that only works on XP. I don't mind dual
    booting. Next challenge is using one mail folder for Thunderbird on
    both systems - I have done it before but forgot to leave a big enough
    fat32 partition visible to both on this machine. I may sneak another
    disk in, or something. I wonder if I can run gparted from linux and
    resize linux?

    Anyway, Fedora has gone - the bios update let me install suse. That
    was a sod - sax2 insisted on creating two display entries when I only
    have one screen, and for some reason the one I had was always the
    second one. I tried the -d trick on sax2, but it just failed. I
    ended up installing the nvidia drivers from the second display (I
    created an extra menu tree on it) and then hacking the xorg.conf file
    by hand. All working fine now.

    Thanks for the bios hint. Who'd have thought it?

  8. Re: Asus M2N32 sli deluxe

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:17:17 -0700, robertharvey wrote:

    > On 20 Aug, 23:24, General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >
    >> you shouldn't have to dual boot unless you are playing games, you
    >> should be able to stay in Linux 99.98% of the time.

    > I share the machine with my wife - we used to have one each, and mine
    > was linux only, but we are running out of space. I am not sure that the
    > licence for XP allows me to install it in a VM, either.
    >
    > I have a sack of good windows software, serif PagePlus for example, and
    > a photo printer that only works on XP. I don't mind dual booting. Next
    > challenge is using one mail folder for Thunderbird on both systems - I
    > have done it before but forgot to leave a big enough fat32 partition
    > visible to both on this machine. I may sneak another disk in, or
    > something. I wonder if I can run gparted from linux and resize linux?
    >
    > Anyway, Fedora has gone - the bios update let me install suse. That was
    > a sod - sax2 insisted on creating two display entries when I only have
    > one screen, and for some reason the one I had was always the second one.
    > I tried the -d trick on sax2, but it just failed. I ended up
    > installing the nvidia drivers from the second display (I created an
    > extra menu tree on it) and then hacking the xorg.conf file by hand. All
    > working fine now.
    >
    > Thanks for the bios hint. Who'd have thought it?

    It's legal to run XP in a virtual machine. They changed the rules for
    Vista, you need a very expensive license to run Vista in a VM but you are
    free to run any version of XP in a VM.

    VMware has a tool that will allow you to convert your existing XP
    installation into a VM so you don't even have to do a fresh install.
    VMware server is free so you could give it a try.

+ Reply to Thread