new mother board - Hardware

This is a discussion on new mother board - Hardware ; I am looking to buy a new mother board and I have found several that I would like to buy, but I am wondering if linux supports these boards and if there are any other concerns that I need to ...

  1. new mother board

    I am looking to buy a new mother board and I have found several that I
    would like to buy, but I am wondering if linux supports these boards and
    if there are any other concerns that I need to be aware of. The boards
    I am looking at are:

    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
    Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

    Asus P5K SE
    Asus P5B
    Asus P5KC

    I am concerned that being so new, they might not be supported by Linux.
    Also, I have heard that there might be problems with the SATA II and
    the IDE controllers on the 965 chipset. I am kind of looking to go with
    the P35. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice on
    this. It has been a while since I bought a new mother board and I am
    not really up on all the new technology though it seems like the P35
    with a core2 processor is the way to go.

    Z.K.

  2. Re: new mother board

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 10:07:28 +0000, Z.K. wrote:

    > I am looking to buy a new mother board and I have found several that I
    > would like to buy, but I am wondering if linux supports these boards and
    > if there are any other concerns that I need to be aware of. The boards
    > I am looking at are:
    >
    > Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
    > Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3
    > Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
    >
    > Asus P5K SE
    > Asus P5B
    > Asus P5KC
    >
    > I am concerned that being so new, they might not be supported by Linux.

    That is a real possibility. Although, I know of nothing specific
    regarding your choices. It takes time for the Linux community to write
    drivers and utilities, and resolve issues with new hardware. That's why
    when I built my new 64-bit system in January, one of my considerations
    was that the hardware had to have been "out there" for at least six
    months.

    > Also, I have heard that there might be problems with the SATA II and
    > the IDE controllers on the 965 chipset. I am kind of looking to go with
    > the P35. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice on
    > this. It has been a while since I bought a new mother board and I am
    > not really up on all the new technology though it seems like the P35
    > with a core2 processor is the way to go.

    I can offer only conceptual advice being not familiar with any of your MB
    choices: hardware, at least, 6 months old, as I said previously; Linux
    supported chips like nVidia, Realtek, Orinoco, etc. either with
    manufacturer supplied native drivers, 3rd party ones like Madwifi for
    wireless cards, or drivers that Linux has always had since day one.
    These two requirements are the most important for compatibility.

    Spend lots of time at www.motherboards.org's MOBOT database. When you
    get hits follow the links and read the reviews. Do searches on the
    Usenet or groups.google.com for any issues with candidate MBs, and any
    solutions.

    Be patient. Don't rush your research. Haste makes waste, and can
    severely lighten your wallet.

    I don't think you'll have any problems with SATA (of any speed). It's
    very well supported in Linux. One caveat, however, I've discovered:
    SATA CD or DVD drives/burners may choke some Linux distros causing
    installs to fail. A driver issue is my guess or lack, thereof. I chose
    on my system to go with IDE for those drives, since they are slow anyway,
    and save my SATA ports for the much, much faster hard drives.

    Another thing: Intel 64-bit CPUs. I've gotten mixed messages on Linux
    compatibility with these series of CPUs. Some have no problems; others
    have nothing but. Also, since Intel collaborated so closely with
    Microsoft during the development of Vista to be 100% compatible with
    Vista's features and security measures, both software and hardware, I
    chose not to go with Intel CPUs, and chose the AM2 socket Athlon 64 for
    my system. Plus, the fact that my last two systems were AMD based, and I
    was very happy with them, had no problems with them, the data throughput
    was faster at the same clock speed than the equivalent Intel chip, and
    they were less expensive added to my choice of AMD.

    Oh! What did I finally go with? Abit KN9, 2.0 GHz Athlon 64 (single
    core) 3200+, nVidia GeForce 6600 PCI-X graphics card.

    Stef

  3. Re: new mother board

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 10:07:28 +0000, Z.K. wrote:

    > I am looking to buy a new mother board and I have found several that I
    > would like to buy, but I am wondering if linux supports these boards and
    > if there are any other concerns that I need to be aware of. The boards
    > I am looking at are:
    >
    > Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
    > Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3
    > Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
    >
    > Asus P5K SE
    > Asus P5B
    > Asus P5KC
    >
    > I am concerned that being so new, they might not be supported by Linux.
    > Also, I have heard that there might be problems with the SATA II and
    > the IDE controllers on the 965 chipset. I am kind of looking to go with
    > the P35. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice on
    > this. It has been a while since I bought a new mother board and I am
    > not really up on all the new technology though it seems like the P35
    > with a core2 processor is the way to go.
    >
    > Z.K.

    The 965 has been fully supported since last year. I'm pretty sure that
    the P35 is OK also but I can't speak from personal experience on that
    one. With any motherboard the best way to find out if there are any Linux
    issues is to read the customer reviews on Newegg, if no one mentions
    Linux then look at another board.

+ Reply to Thread