Fedora Core 7 boot freeze on "Starting Bluetooth Services" wheniPod connected via FireWire - Hardware

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 7 boot freeze on "Starting Bluetooth Services" wheniPod connected via FireWire - Hardware ; I have recently made the move from Windows to Linux (Fedora Core 7) on my home PC and am under a fairly hefty obligation to get my wife's iPod working! When I plug the iPod (20GB ClickWheel) into the FireWire ...

  1. Fedora Core 7 boot freeze on "Starting Bluetooth Services" wheniPod connected via FireWire

    I have recently made the move from Windows to Linux (Fedora Core 7) on my
    home PC and am under a fairly hefty obligation to get my wife's iPod
    working!

    When I plug the iPod (20GB ClickWheel) into the FireWire cable nothing
    happens (when I would expect it to be auto-mounted...?).

    If I have the iPod connected during boot, the boot freezes on "Starting
    Bluetooth Services".

    I have two questions and would be extremely grateful for any help or
    advice:

    1. Can someone point me in the right direction to find out more about
    what is actually the problem? (Are there boot log files that might tell
    me more?)
    2. Are Bluetooth and FireWire related in any way?

    PS: I have installed Banshee (v0.12.1) and the appropriate iPod drivers
    mentioned in the Banshee docs (libipodevice v0.5.3 and ipod-sharp
    v0.6.3), though my guess is that the problem is lower level than this.

    --
    Dan Otterburn

  2. Re: Fedora Core 7 boot freeze on "Starting Bluetooth Services" wheniPod connected via FireWire

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:45:11 +0000, Dan Otterburn wrote:

    > I have recently made the move from Windows to Linux (Fedora Core 7) on
    > my home PC and am under a fairly hefty obligation to get my wife's iPod
    > working!
    >
    > When I plug the iPod (20GB ClickWheel) into the FireWire cable nothing
    > happens (when I would expect it to be auto-mounted...?).
    >
    > If I have the iPod connected during boot, the boot freezes on "Starting
    > Bluetooth Services".
    >
    > I have two questions and would be extremely grateful for any help or
    > advice:
    >
    > 1. Can someone point me in the right direction to find out more about
    > what is actually the problem? (Are there boot log files that might tell
    > me more?)
    > 2. Are Bluetooth and FireWire related in any way?
    >
    > PS: I have installed Banshee (v0.12.1) and the appropriate iPod drivers
    > mentioned in the Banshee docs (libipodevice v0.5.3 and ipod-sharp
    > v0.6.3), though my guess is that the problem is lower level than this.

    do you need bluetooth? I don't so the first thing I do ( assuming
    you can boot ) is ( from a gnome-terminal session ( as root ) )

    yum erase bluez-libs bluez-gnome

    and it should remove the blue tooth stuff and will prevent bluetooth from
    starting in the future.

    another approach would be to do
    chkconfig --del bluetooth
    .... this will prevent bluetooth from starting in the future.

    jack

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  3. Re: Fedora Core 7 boot freeze on "Starting Bluetooth Services" wheniPod connected via FireWire

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 15:01:10 +0000, Jack Snodgrass wrote:

    > do you need bluetooth?

    Good point. No I don't use bluetooth and have now disabled the service,
    thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I'm no closer to getting the iPod to
    work, in fact Fedora now becomes unresponsive any time I try to plug it
    in via Firewire, not just at boot...

    ....going to buy a USB cable for the iPod tomorrow and try that instead!

    --
    Dan Otterburn

+ Reply to Thread