Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape) - Hardware

This is a discussion on Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape) - Hardware ; Hello, I'm setting up a home server using Ubuntu 7.04, and I'm using two mirrored 320 Gig drives for my data. I'd like to find a tape drive to add to this box, but most of the ones I'm finding ...

  1. Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    Hello,

    I'm setting up a home server using Ubuntu 7.04, and I'm using two
    mirrored 320 Gig drives for my data. I'd like to find a tape drive to
    add to this box, but most of the ones I'm finding only backup 20 to 40
    gigs at a time. I'd prefer to find something that backs up at least
    100-120 gigs per tape.

    This is an older box, and my only options are EIDE or SCSI and it's
    running dual PIII-1Ghz processors.

    Thanks --

    Alex

  2. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    Alex staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I'm setting up a home server using Ubuntu 7.04, and I'm using two
    > mirrored 320 Gig drives for my data. I'd like to find a tape drive to
    > add to this box, but most of the ones I'm finding only backup 20 to 40
    > gigs at a time. I'd prefer to find something that backs up at least
    > 100-120 gigs per tape.

    pricewatch.com -> tape drives -> LTO 200G. Note that the "200" there is
    misleading; the LTO-1 tapes in that category are 100G without
    compression, theoretically 200G with compression. Figure on about $550
    or so for a drive, $35 or so per medium. Poking around a bit more may
    get you something cheaper, though.

    > This is an older box, and my only options are EIDE or SCSI

    Most tape drives are still SCSI. HTH,

    --
    Love is a laser.
    DO NOT LOOK INTO LASER WITH REMAINING HEART.

  3. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    Alex writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm setting up a home server using Ubuntu 7.04, and I'm using two
    > mirrored 320 Gig drives for my data. I'd like to find a tape drive to
    > add to this box, but most of the ones I'm finding only backup 20 to 40
    > gigs at a time. I'd prefer to find something that backs up at least
    > 100-120 gigs per tape.
    >
    > This is an older box, and my only options are EIDE or SCSI and it's
    > running dual PIII-1Ghz processors.

    Although it is quite possibly out of your price range, don't buy
    Sony's SAIT drive. They are 500GB uncompressed, but Sony
    discontinued them.

    Vilmos

  4. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    Alex writes:
    >I'm setting up a home server using Ubuntu 7.04, and I'm using two
    >mirrored 320 Gig drives for my data. I'd like to find a tape drive to
    >add to this box, but most of the ones I'm finding only backup 20 to 40
    >gigs at a time. I'd prefer to find something that backs up at least
    >100-120 gigs per tape.

    How many tapes do you think you will ever use? You might be cheaper
    off with a bunch of 500GB HDs in USB enclosures. However, if you want
    to transport them, the tapes tend to be a lot lighter.

    >This is an older box, and my only options are EIDE or SCSI and it's
    >running dual PIII-1Ghz processors.

    For the USB enclosure solution you may need a USB 2.0 card.

    You can also go with a firewire card and firewire enclosures, but that
    tends to be more expensive, and you probably don't need the increased
    speed.

    - anton

  5. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    On 2007-08-17, Anton Ertl wrote:

    > Alex writes:
    >>I'm setting up a home server using Ubuntu 7.04, and I'm using two
    >>mirrored 320 Gig drives for my data. I'd like to find a tape drive to
    >>add to this box, but most of the ones I'm finding only backup 20 to 40
    >>gigs at a time. I'd prefer to find something that backs up at least
    >>100-120 gigs per tape.

    > How many tapes do you think you will ever use? You might be cheaper
    > off with a bunch of 500GB HDs in USB enclosures. However, if you want
    > to transport them, the tapes tend to be a lot lighter.

    I second the USB solutions.
    Just take a drive, format them in ext2 and use a snapshot-style backup.

    HOUGHI !!! HWat's the name of the backup from openSUSE again ?

    >>This is an older box, and my only options are EIDE or SCSI and it's
    >>running dual PIII-1Ghz processors.

    > For the USB enclosure solution you may need a USB 2.0 card.

    Any cheap pci USB card will do.

    Douglas Adams

  6. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    On 2007-08-17, Rikishi 42 wrote:

    >>>I'm setting up a home server using Ubuntu 7.04, and I'm using two
    >>>mirrored 320 Gig drives for my data. I'd like to find a tape drive to
    >>>add to this box, but most of the ones I'm finding only backup 20 to 40
    >>>gigs at a time. I'd prefer to find something that backs up at least
    >>>100-120 gigs per tape.

    >> How many tapes do you think you will ever use? You might be cheaper
    >> off with a bunch of 500GB HDs in USB enclosures. However, if you want
    >> to transport them, the tapes tend to be a lot lighter.

    > I second the USB solutions.
    > Just take a drive, format them in ext2 and use a snapshot-style backup.
    >
    > HOUGHI !!! HWat's the name of the backup from openSUSE again ?

    Damn, I don't think he's on this group.

    Anyway, it's a snapshot backup. Does only the modified files, shows you what
    looks like a series of full backups to restore from.

    Douglas Adams

  7. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    On 2007-08-17, Rikishi 42 wrote:

    >> How many tapes do you think you will ever use? You might be cheaper
    >> off with a bunch of 500GB HDs in USB enclosures. However, if you want
    >> to transport them, the tapes tend to be a lot lighter.

    > I second the USB solutions.
    > Just take a drive, format them in ext2 and use a snapshot-style backup.
    >
    > HOUGHI !!! HWat's the name of the backup from openSUSE again ?

    Ah, found a link. Not the one I was looking for but...

    http://www.dirvish.org

    Douglas Adams

  8. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > HOUGHI !!! HWat's the name of the backup from openSUSE again ?

    Hi there,

    I am not houghi, but you might want to try StoreBackup.

    Hendric
    --
    Hendric Stattmann, Mödling, Austria. Registered Linux User #178879

  9. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    In article <2mdhp4-thi.ln1@whisper.very.softly>, Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > I second the USB solutions.
    > Just take a drive, format them in ext2 and use a snapshot-style backup.

    I've found Firewire to be more stable than USB for this type of thing.
    ESATA would probably be even better.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

  10. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    On 18 Aug, 04:49, Roger Blake wrote:
    > I've found Firewire to be more stable than USB for this type of thing.

    Ever and always.

    > ESATA would probably be even better.

    I've not tried that yet. I am worried how many insertion cycles the
    connector will take. It does look very similar to the internal one.

  11. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    On 17 Aug, 15:08, Alex wrote:
    > I'd like to find a tape drive ... that backs up at least
    > 100-120 gigs per tape.
    > This is an older box, and my only options are EIDE or SCSI ...

    I recently bought one of these:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=567860

    It can be attached to the router, so unlike the USB/firewire
    suggestions you won't need to modify the hardware, and it costs less
    than a decent tape drive. There is a smaller version too, but that
    won't save many sets.

    You will also find it a lot faster. I used to back up the servers on
    a research ship and had to chuck out the Travan drives in favour of
    one of the giant fibre channel survey drives , 'cos the travan had not
    finished by the time the next job was starting.

    If you want to be really cheap - and why not indeed - there used to be
    gadgets to let you back up to analogue video tape. I have not seen
    one since the middle '90s, but a bit of a grovel in the darker corners
    of google or ebay may be fun. Or just build /another/ linux box out
    of more scrap. Or out of one of these: http://www.mini-itx.com/store/

    My ISP has a free storage system called 'virtual vault'. Yours may
    too. That would be an off-site backup too. http://www.freedom2surf.net/virtual-vault/
    Now that /would/ be cheap

  12. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    On 2007-08-17, Hendric Stattmann wrote:
    >> HOUGHI !!! HWat's the name of the backup from openSUSE again ?

    > I am not houghi, but you might want to try StoreBackup.

    Yes! Eaclty what I mean.

    Thanks.

    Douglas Adams

  13. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    On 2007-08-18, robertharvey@my-deja.com wrote:

    >> I've found Firewire to be more stable than USB for this type of thing.

    > Ever and always.

    Mmm. I never advise it.

    No to bash it's qualities, but the are so much less machines out there that
    have it.

    BTW; since I have a Fireire user at hand, can you give me an idea about it's
    typical speed? Never stored that in my RAM (Rapidly Ageing Memory).

    >> ESATA would probably be even better.

    > I've not tried that yet. I am worried how many insertion cycles the
    > connector will take. It does look very similar to the internal one.

    ESATA is External SATA, I suppose?

    Sounds... let me stay polite... pointless.

    I mean there's allready USB (yes, and Firewire), where the connecters are
    designed for frequent (un)plugging. And driver-wise, these devices are
    supposed to be hot-pluggeable. How does Linux handle (dis)apearing SATA
    drives ? Are they recognised a hotpluggeable devices, enough to be
    automounted?

    Douglas Adams

  14. Re: Suggestions for tape backup drive (100Gigs or more per tape)

    Roger Blake writes:
    >I've found Firewire to be more stable than USB for this type of thing.

    USB is stable enough for backups in my experience. We even used a USB
    drive as one drive in the RAID1 array of our NFS server for many weeks
    (one of the internal drives had failed). IIRC during all that time we
    got one USB disconnection that caused the md driver to consider the
    drive "failed", but overall this solution was quite workable.

    - anton