incompatible CD-R medium - Hardware

This is a discussion on incompatible CD-R medium - Hardware ; I'm using xcdroast under debian, and in June I used it to create a cdrom disk successfully. Now I try it with new media, and fail. I'm using TDK CD-R 52x, which I had assumed would be no problem. I ...

  1. incompatible CD-R medium

    I'm using xcdroast under debian, and in June I used it to create a
    cdrom disk successfully. Now I try it with new media, and fail. I'm
    using TDK CD-R 52x, which I had assumed would be no problem. I have a
    second DCD reader drive, which I'm leaving out here.

    The first problem is that udev is not creating the correct device
    file. In my /etc/fstab I have:

    /dev/hda /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

    However, in /dev I have:

    cdrom2@ root/root -> hda
    cdrom3@ root/root -> hdc
    cdrw2@ root/root -> hda

    hda root/cdrom
    hdc root/cdrom

    So I created a symlink: cdrom1 -> cdrw2

    But still xcdroast has in "CD/Image Info" window, "Type: No CD
    loaded", even though there's a CD in the drive. The CD R-W and
    the DCD read drives, however, are seen. Re-did Setup as root, with no
    luck.

    So I try to mount the drive:

    $ mount /media/cdrom1
    mount: block device /dev/hda is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda,
    missing codepage or other error
    dmesg | tail or so

    $ dmesg | tail
    ATAPI device hda:
    Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
    Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64, ascq=0x00)
    The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
    "28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
    end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device hda, logical block 0
    attempt to access beyond end of device
    hda: rw=0, want=68, limit=4
    isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hda, iso_blknum=16, block=16

    However, I can mount and view the contents of on ordinary data CD
    without difficulty.

    Sounds like the medium is wrong. I tied another TDK disk without luck.

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

  2. Re: incompatible CD-R medium

    Haines Brown wrote:

    > Sounds like the medium is wrong. I tied another TDK disk without luck.

    I had a roughly similar problem with minature DVD disks in a liteon
    drive. I got a firmware update from their web site, stuck the thing
    in a windows machine, and updated the firmware. Problem solved.

  3. Re: incompatible CD-R medium

    Haines Brown (brownh@teufel.hartford-hwp.com) writes:
    > I'm using xcdroast under debian, and in June I used it to create a
    > cdrom disk successfully. Now I try it with new media, and fail. I'm
    > using TDK CD-R 52x, which I had assumed would be no problem. I have a
    > second DCD reader drive, which I'm leaving out here.
    >
    > The first problem is that udev is not creating the correct device
    > file. In my /etc/fstab I have:
    >
    > /dev/hda /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    >
    > However, in /dev I have:
    >
    > cdrom2@ root/root -> hda
    > cdrom3@ root/root -> hdc
    > cdrw2@ root/root -> hda
    >
    > hda root/cdrom
    > hdc root/cdrom
    >
    > So I created a symlink: cdrom1 -> cdrw2
    >
    > But still xcdroast has in "CD/Image Info" window, "Type: No CD
    > loaded", even though there's a CD in the drive. The CD R-W and
    > the DCD read drives, however, are seen. Re-did Setup as root, with no
    > luck.
    >
    > So I try to mount the drive:

    You don't "mount the drive" you mount the filesystem, which is on the
    medium.

    If there's no disk in the drive, you can't mount it.

    If there's a blank disk in the drive, you can't mount it.

    You've given all kinds of peripheral stuff that doesn't apply since
    you can't mount a blank CDROM, but haven't said in what way the
    burning of a cdrom fails.

    WHen you go to burn it, you should be getting error messages, that
    should be telling you something about what's not happening.

    I have no idea why it happens, but I notice from time to time
    I run cdrecord, with a fresh blank CDROM, and get a message before
    it barely starts that says something about no disk or something.
    Running cdrecord a second time, and it works fine (though I can't
    remember if I've ejected the blank and then pushed the drawer back
    in with the blank before I run cdrecord a second time).

    Since you've posted all kinds of peripheral stuff that doesn't apply,
    it's not clear whether you simply don't know what's happening, or if
    there actually is some problem, related to the drive not being found.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread