How to configure a hardware raid properly ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on How to configure a hardware raid properly ? - Hardware ; Hello could anybody tell me how a hardware raid should be implented under linux. I use Slackware 11.0 Promise FastTrack TX4000 ata raid controller. when I did the installation of the system I had 1 4chanel ATA Raid Promise FastTrack ...

  1. How to configure a hardware raid properly ?

    Hello

    could anybody tell me how a hardware raid should be implented under linux.
    I use Slackware 11.0 Promise FastTrack TX4000 ata raid controller.

    when I did the installation of the system I had 1 4chanel ATA Raid Promise
    FastTrack TX4000 with 2 disks (2 separate disks 250GB and 320GB )
    to which I wanted to add disks (to each) later to make a RAID1 (mirror)
    system.

    The system seems to have recognised the Fasstrack controller with disks
    attached to it.
    Here the dmesg output (to be precise this the output when I have added
    another 320GB disk which is seen as /dev/sdc ):

    ================================================== =================================================
    hda: WDC AC24300L, ATA DISK drive
    ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
    hda: attached ide-disk driver.
    hda: host protected area => 1
    hda: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: task_no_data_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
    hda: 8421840 sectors (4312 MB) w/256KiB Cache, CHS=524/255/63, UDMA(33)
    Partition check:
    hda: hda1 hda3
    Promise Fasttrak(tm) Softwareraid driver 0.03beta: No raid array found
    Highpoint HPT370 Softwareraid driver for linux version 0.03
    Guestimating sector 8420879 for superblock
    driver for Silicon Image(tm) Medley(tm) hardware version 0.0.1: No raid
    array found
    SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
    3ware Storage Controller device driver for Linux v1.02.00.037.
    3w-xxxx: No cards found.
    libata version 1.20 loaded.
    PCI(00:08.0): version 1.03
    PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:08.0
    PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:0a.2
    ata1: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xC498E200 ctl 0xC498E238 bmdma 0x0 irq 11
    ata2: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xC498E280 ctl 0xC498E2B8 bmdma 0x0 irq 11
    ata3: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xC498E300 ctl 0xC498E338 bmdma 0x0 irq 11
    ata4: PATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xC498E380 ctl 0xC498E3B8 bmdma 0x0 irq 11
    ATA: abnormal status 0x8 on port 0xC498E21C
    ata1: disabling port
    ata2: dev 0 cfg 49:2f00 82:346b 83:7d01 84:4023 85:3469 86:3c01 87:4023
    88:203f
    ata2: dev 0 ATA-7, max UDMA/100, 488397168 sectors: LBA48
    ata2: dev 0 configured for UDMA/33
    ata3: dev 0 cfg 49:2f00 82:346b 83:7d01 84:4023 85:3469 86:3c01 87:4023
    88:203f
    ata3: dev 0 ATA-7, max UDMA/100, 625142448 sectors: LBA48
    ata3: dev 0 configured for UDMA/33
    ata4: dev 0 cfg 49:2f00 82:346b 83:7d01 84:4023 85:3469 86:3c01 87:4023
    88:203f
    ata4: dev 0 ATA-7, max UDMA/100, 625142448 sectors: LBA48
    ata4: dev 0 configured for UDMA/33
    scsi0 : sata_promise
    scsi1 : sata_promise
    scsi2 : sata_promise
    scsi3 : sata_promise
    Vendor: ATA Model: ST3250620A Rev: 3.AA
    Vendor: ATA Model: ST3320620A Rev: 3.AA
    Vendor: ATA Model: ST3320620A Rev: 3.AA
    Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    Attached scsi disk sdc at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    SCSI device sda: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
    sda: sda1
    SCSI device sdb: 625142448 512-byte hdwr sectors (320073 MB)
    sdb: sdb1
    SCSI device sdc: 625142448 512-byte hdwr sectors (320073 MB)
    sdc: sdc1
    md: linear personality registered as nr 1
    md: raid0 personality registered as nr 2
    md: raid1 personality registered as nr 3
    md: raid5 personality registered as nr 4
    raid5: measuring checksumming speed
    8regs : 386.800 MB/sec
    32regs : 214.000 MB/sec
    pII_mmx : 524.800 MB/sec
    p5_mmx : 548.400 MB/sec
    raid5: using function: p5_mmx (548.400 MB/sec)
    md: md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MD_SB_DISKS=27
    md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
    md: autorun ...
    md: ... autorun DONE.

    ================================================== ================================================== ====

    So my 2 disks on the ata raid controller were seen as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
    I added them to fstab as /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. None of the were in raid
    mode So far so good.

    Some days later I decided to create a raid array and added a new 320 GB disk
    to the system Which was recognised as /dev/sdc. I rebuild the array with
    fasttrack utility. According to TX4000 controller I had 2 320GB disks
    functional in RAID1 mode.

    But here is the problem. The system does not see the raid! After the reboot
    the system is going on writing only on 1 disk.

    In my understanding the system should address 2 disks as 1. As they are on
    the harware raid controller the system should see 2 disks on the controller
    as 1. Otherwise where are its raid functions?

    what is interseting is that in fstab I put /dev/sdb1 which corresponds to my
    320GB disk on the 4 channel of the controller. But the writing is done on
    the new disk I added on the 3d channel of the controller. Not on both disks.

    I read howtos and saw that there must be a special /dev/mdN line in fstab
    for the system to see 2 disks as 1 but it deals whith software raid
    cinfiguration whare as I have a hardware raid controller.

    I would be very grateful to anybody to enlighten me upon how I should
    properly configure my HARWARE RAID. Or indicate a howto.

    Thank you very much

  2. Re: How to configure a hardware raid properly ?

    On 13 Aug, 06:47, "serge" wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > could anybody tell me how a hardware raid should be implented under linux.
    > I use Slackware 11.0 Promise FastTrack TX4000 ata raid controller.
    >
    > when I did the installation of the system I had 1 4chanel ATA Raid Promise
    > FastTrack TX4000 with 2 disks (2 separate disks 250GB and 320GB )
    > to which I wanted to add disks (to each) later to make a RAID1 (mirror)
    > system.
    >
    > The system seems to have recognised the Fasstrack controller with disks
    > attached to it.
    > Here the dmesg output (to be precise this the output when I have added
    > another 320GB disk which is seen as /dev/sdc ):

    The last two systems I built with hardware raid, you set up the raid
    controller before installing Linux.

    During the boot sequence I was offered the chance to enter the raid
    bios (^A on the one I still have) and there the disks could be
    initialised, the raid mode selected, and disks repaired if
    replacements fitted.

    The Kernel then sees the array as a single scsii disk [ATA in the
    other case], and left the card to do all the work.

  3. Re: How to configure a hardware raid properly ?

    I see, you mean I should have both disks properly configured on the
    conroller before the installation
    so that they should be seen as 1 array. Well, ok, but suppose i did and my 2
    disks are recognised as 1alright.

    What if I , having a spare channel what to add yet another 2 disks later?
    How it will behave ?

    Thank yiu very much

    Serge
    ???????/???????? ? ???????? ?????????:
    news:1187027393.136755.323610@r34g2000hsd.googlegr oups.com...
    > On 13 Aug, 06:47, "serge" wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> could anybody tell me how a hardware raid should be implented under
    >> linux.
    >> I use Slackware 11.0 Promise FastTrack TX4000 ata raid controller.
    >>
    >> when I did the installation of the system I had 1 4chanel ATA Raid
    >> Promise
    >> FastTrack TX4000 with 2 disks (2 separate disks 250GB and 320GB )
    >> to which I wanted to add disks (to each) later to make a RAID1 (mirror)
    >> system.
    >>
    >> The system seems to have recognised the Fasstrack controller with disks
    >> attached to it.
    >> Here the dmesg output (to be precise this the output when I have added
    >> another 320GB disk which is seen as /dev/sdc ):
    >>

    > The last two systems I built with hardware raid, you set up the raid
    > controller before installing Linux.
    >
    > During the boot sequence I was offered the chance to enter the raid
    > bios (^A on the one I still have) and there the disks could be
    > initialised, the raid mode selected, and disks repaired if
    > replacements fitted.
    >
    > The Kernel then sees the array as a single scsii disk [ATA in the
    > other case], and left the card to do all the work.

  4. Re: How to configure a hardware raid properly ?

    On 13 Aug, 19:31, "serge" wrote:
    > What if I , having a spare channel what to add yet another 2 disks later?
    > How it will behave ?

    Depends entirely on how the controller is set up. I've never seen one
    that let you run two groups of disks as two separate raid arrays. It
    only has a tiny brain on the board. They might be different now, it's
    1.5 years on.

    Check with the manual, see what it says. Or think about putting
    another controller in.

  5. Re: How to configure a hardware raid properly ?

    serge wrote:
    > I see, you mean I should have both disks properly configured on the
    > conroller before the installation
    > so that they should be seen as 1 array. Well, ok, but suppose i did and my 2
    > disks are recognised as 1alright.
    >
    > What if I , having a spare channel what to add yet another 2 disks later?
    > How it will behave ?
    >
    > Thank yiu very much

    If Linux does not see the RAID array as a single drive, then you don't
    have true Hardware RAID (assuming it is configured properly in the
    BIOS). Unfortunately, a lot of raid controllers are being pushed as
    hardware RAID, but in reality they are "FakeRAID". FakeRaid requires a
    device driver. I got bit by this bit of deception when I picked up a
    new motherboard.

    --
    Ogre

  6. Re: How to configure a hardware raid properly ?

    Ogre writes:

    > serge wrote:
    >> I see, you mean I should have both disks properly configured on
    >> the conroller before the installation so that they should be seen
    >> as 1 array. Well, ok, but suppose i did and my 2 disks are
    >> recognised as 1alright. What if I , having a spare channel what to
    >> add yet another 2 disks later? How it will behave ? Thank yiu very
    >> much

    > If Linux does not see the RAID array as a single drive, then you don't
    > have true Hardware RAID (assuming it is configured properly in the
    > BIOS). Unfortunately, a lot of raid controllers are being pushed as
    > hardware RAID, but in reality they are "FakeRAID". FakeRaid requires
    > a device driver. I got bit by this bit of deception when I picked up
    > a new motherboard.

    I have never seen a motherboard with true hardware RAID onboard.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  7. Re: How to configure a hardware raid properly ?

    Måns Rullgård coughed up some electrons that declared:

    > Ogre writes:
    >
    >> serge wrote:
    >>> I see, you mean I should have both disks properly configured on
    >>> the conroller before the installation so that they should be seen
    >>> as 1 array. Well, ok, but suppose i did and my 2 disks are
    >>> recognised as 1alright. What if I , having a spare channel what to
    >>> add yet another 2 disks later? How it will behave ? Thank yiu very
    >>> much

    >> If Linux does not see the RAID array as a single drive, then you don't
    >> have true Hardware RAID (assuming it is configured properly in the
    >> BIOS). Unfortunately, a lot of raid controllers are being pushed as
    >> hardware RAID, but in reality they are "FakeRAID". FakeRaid requires
    >> a device driver. I got bit by this bit of deception when I picked up
    >> a new motherboard.

    > I have never seen a motherboard with true hardware RAID onboard.

    I have, but it was a fairly expensive Sun Opteron board. You are generally
    into the server class mobo territory to get anything with RAID that's worth
    a dime.

    Cheers

    Tim

  8. Re: How to configure a hardware raid properly ?

    Tim Southerwood wrote:
    > Måns Rullgård coughed up some electrons that declared:
    >
    >> Ogre writes:

    >>> If Linux does not see the RAID array as a single drive, then you don't
    >>> have true Hardware RAID (assuming it is configured properly in the
    >>> BIOS). Unfortunately, a lot of raid controllers are being pushed as
    >>> hardware RAID, but in reality they are "FakeRAID". FakeRaid requires
    >>> a device driver. I got bit by this bit of deception when I picked up
    >>> a new motherboard.

    >> I have never seen a motherboard with true hardware RAID onboard.
    >>

    > I have, but it was a fairly expensive Sun Opteron board. You are generally
    > into the server class mobo territory to get anything with RAID that's worth
    > a dime.

    It's a rather expensive high end server class motherboard. Dual
    processor AMD 64 (dual core). Supports 12 SATA drive, etc. etc. Not a
    consumer class MB. My own fault, I guess. I didn't do enough research
    to verify what type of RAID controller was built-in.

    --
    Ogre

  9. Re: How to configure a hardware raid properly ?

    On 14 Aug, 21:54, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > I have never seen a motherboard with true hardware RAID onboard.

    I imagined the OP was talking about an add-in card. I was certainly
    writing about them.

  10. Re: How to configure a hardware raid properly ?

    robertharvey@my-deja.com writes:

    > On 14 Aug, 21:54, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> I have never seen a motherboard with true hardware RAID onboard.

    > I imagined the OP was talking about an add-in card. I was certainly
    > writing about them.

    I never meant to imply otherwise, but someone mentioned onboard
    controllers.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  11. Re: How to configure a hardware raid properly ?

    On 16 Aug, 00:06, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > I never meant to imply otherwise, but someone mentioned onboard
    > controllers.

    Oh, Aye. the on-board ones never even entered my head, I am afraid.

+ Reply to Thread