USB drive, system idles and becomes read only - Hardware

This is a discussion on USB drive, system idles and becomes read only - Hardware ; Hi, I have a 320gb FreeAgent USB drive which I boot linux from on a laptop. When I leave my machine for more than about 15-20 minutes the mounted USB drives become read only and various problems ensue. If I ...

  1. USB drive, system idles and becomes read only

    Hi,

    I have a 320gb FreeAgent USB drive which I boot linux from on a
    laptop.

    When I leave my machine for more than about 15-20 minutes the mounted
    USB drives become read only and various problems ensue. If I unplug
    the USB and plug it back in the system does mount the drive RW.

    How can I prevent this from happening / fix the issue?

    I'm running PCLinuxOS 2007 with the following mount configuration:

    /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,nls=utf8,umask=0)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)
    none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    /dev/hda1 on /mnt/win_c type ntfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,nls=utf8,umask=0)
    /dev/hda5 on /mnt/win_d type ntfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,nls=utf8,umask=0)
    /dev/sda3 on /base type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    /base/usr on /usr type none (rw,bind)
    none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

    Any help gratefully accepted...

    ta

    Joe

  2. Re: USB drive, system idles and becomes read only

    On Aug 10, 11:55 pm, JoeFl...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 320gb FreeAgent USB drive which I boot linux from on a
    > laptop.
    >
    > When I leave my machine for more than about 15-20 minutes the mounted
    > USB drives become read only and various problems ensue. If I unplug
    > the USB and plug it back in the system does mount the drive RW.
    >
    > How can I prevent this from happening / fix the issue?
    >
    > I'm running PCLinuxOS 2007 with the following mount configuration:
    >
    > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,nls=utf8,umask=0)
    > none on /proc type proc (rw)
    > none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)
    > none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    > /dev/hda1 on /mnt/win_c type ntfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,nls=utf8,umask=0)
    > /dev/hda5 on /mnt/win_d type ntfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,nls=utf8,umask=0)
    > /dev/sda3 on /base type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    > /base/usr on /usr type none (rw,bind)
    > none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
    >
    > Any help gratefully accepted...
    >
    > ta
    >
    > Joe

    I should say ' If I unplug the USB and plug it back in the system
    *does not* mount the drive RW'

+ Reply to Thread