Suport for creative X-Fi sound cards - Hardware

This is a discussion on Suport for creative X-Fi sound cards - Hardware ; Hi. i kind of lost track of this matter... i read once that drivers would be avaiable in this summer... do you know if we allready have drivers for these sound card chips? thanks ArameFarpado...

  1. Suport for creative X-Fi sound cards

    Hi.

    i kind of lost track of this matter... i read once that drivers would be
    avaiable in this summer...

    do you know if we allready have drivers for these sound card chips?

    thanks
    ArameFarpado

  2. Re: Suport for creative X-Fi sound cards

    I demand that ArameFarpado may or may not have written...

    > i kind of lost track of this matter... i read once that drivers would be
    > avaiable in this summer...

    > do you know if we allready have drivers for these sound card chips?

    http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...-Creative_Labs says:

    Card delivered to developers. Completely new architecture. Creative
    actively preventing support due to no datasheets being released to ALSA
    developers. Reverse engineering work not started due to lack of time.

    Unless you are prepared to help with driver development, you should get a
    card for which there are good open-source drivers.

    I'm aware that Creative have been promising to make some taintware available
    for these cards. This isn't good enough...

    | + Output less CO2 => avoid massive flooding. TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

    Nobody can be as agreeable as an uninvited guest.

  3. Re: Suport for creative X-Fi sound cards

    Em Sábado, 11 de Agosto de 2007 00:14, Darren Salt escreveu:

    > I demand that ArameFarpado may or may not have written...
    >
    >> i kind of lost track of this matter... i read once that drivers would be
    >> avaiable in this summer...

    >> do you know if we allready have drivers for these sound card chips?

    > http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...-Creative_Labs
    > says:
    >
    > Card delivered to developers. Completely new architecture. Creative
    > actively preventing support due to no datasheets being released to ALSA
    > developers. Reverse engineering work not started due to lack of time.
    >
    > Unless you are prepared to help with driver development, you should get a
    > card for which there are good open-source drivers.
    >
    > I'm aware that Creative have been promising to make some taintware
    > available for these cards. This isn't good enough...

    So, looks like it's not gonna be this summer after all.

    thanks

  4. Re: Suport for creative X-Fi sound cards

    ArameFarpado schrieb:
    > Em Sábado, 11 de Agosto de 2007 00:14, Darren Salt escreveu:
    >
    >> I demand that ArameFarpado may or may not have written...
    >>
    >>> i kind of lost track of this matter... i read once that drivers would be
    >>> avaiable in this summer...
    >>> do you know if we allready have drivers for these sound card chips?

    >> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...-Creative_Labs
    >> says:
    >>
    >> Card delivered to developers. Completely new architecture. Creative
    >> actively preventing support due to no datasheets being released to ALSA
    >> developers. Reverse engineering work not started due to lack of time.
    >>
    >> Unless you are prepared to help with driver development, you should get a
    >> card for which there are good open-source drivers.
    >>
    >> I'm aware that Creative have been promising to make some taintware
    >> available for these cards. This isn't good enough...
    >>

    > So, looks like it's not gonna be this summer after all.
    >

    > thanks

    Closed Source drivers should have been available this summer, they are
    delayed to Q3/Q4 2007 due to Windows Vista driver development.

    More Info:
    http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html#X-FI

    The question is only if you want to use closed source drivers esp from
    Creative who are known for bad drivers...

    Greetings,
    Marco

  5. Re: Suport for creative X-Fi sound cards

    Em Sábado, 11 de Agosto de 2007 21:18, Marco Date escreveu:

    > Closed Source drivers should have been available this summer,

    that was the promisse...

    > they are
    > delayed to Q3/Q4 2007 due to Windows Vista driver development.

    yeah, even us have to penitence because of that crapy myopic...

    > More Info:
    > http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html#X-FI
    >
    > The question is only if you want to use closed source drivers esp from
    > Creative who are known for bad drivers...

    Well, it will be better than nothing, and without info about those chips i
    doubt that open source drivers will explore everything that those chips can
    do... i have a EMU10k1 sound chip that is not 100% explored by the alsa
    drivers, there are dificulties controling the rear output and none of those
    DSP-acustic efects that these cards can do.

    regards

+ Reply to Thread