mini pc colo - Hardware

This is a discussion on mini pc colo - Hardware ; Has anybody seen a place that would colo a small pc? I'm thinking something similar to that macmini colo except for pc's that are running linux? I'd like to avoid buying a mac mini to install linux if I can ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: mini pc colo

  1. mini pc colo

    Has anybody seen a place that would colo a small pc? I'm thinking something
    similar to that macmini colo except for pc's that are running linux? I'd
    like to avoid buying a mac mini to install linux if I can get the same
    hardware for much cheaper elsewhere.

    Maybe "they" should standardize some "mini-server" cases so this can be a
    more common thing.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  2. Re: mini pc colo

    Miguel De Anda wrote:
    > Has anybody seen a place that would colo a small pc? I'm thinking something
    > similar to that macmini colo except for pc's that are running linux? I'd
    > like to avoid buying a mac mini to install linux if I can get the same
    > hardware for much cheaper elsewhere.
    >
    > Maybe "they" should standardize some "mini-server" cases so this can be a
    > more common thing.
    >


    I would think at best you'd find hosting provider that have blade
    systems... most colo's will only want to support rack equipment, and
    your mini... height wise, is a 1U as far as they are concerned...
    even worse, it would need a shelf.... you'd be better off with
    a 1U. Some mom and pop providers might have space on a table or
    some such. Of course, I'm not sure what you'd be getting with
    that sort of arrangement.

    Also, your mini may have a power brick... some colo's are really
    not going to like that.... but of course, if you purchase so
    many U of space, you can pay them to put in a shelf and usually
    do whatever you want with it.... You might find renting
    a dedicated 1U server to be cheaper in the long run though.

  3. Re: mini pc colo

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > Miguel De Anda wrote:
    >> Has anybody seen a place that would colo a small pc? I'm thinking
    >> something similar to that macmini colo except for pc's that are running
    >> linux? I'd like to avoid buying a mac mini to install linux if I can get
    >> the same hardware for much cheaper elsewhere.
    >>
    >> Maybe "they" should standardize some "mini-server" cases so this can be a
    >> more common thing.
    >>

    >
    > I would think at best you'd find hosting provider that have blade
    > systems... most colo's will only want to support rack equipment, and
    > your mini... height wise, is a 1U as far as they are concerned...
    > even worse, it would need a shelf.... you'd be better off with
    > a 1U. Some mom and pop providers might have space on a table or
    > some such. Of course, I'm not sure what you'd be getting with
    > that sort of arrangement.
    >
    > Also, your mini may have a power brick... some colo's are really
    > not going to like that.... but of course, if you purchase so
    > many U of space, you can pay them to put in a shelf and usually
    > do whatever you want with it.... You might find renting
    > a dedicated 1U server to be cheaper in the long run though.


    I didn't want to advertise for them, but I was looking for something like
    this: http://www.macminicolo.net/ I'm pretty sure I can't find a cheap colo
    that's even close to that. I'm sorta looking for something really cheap to
    get started. I'll get a real server once everything is up and running. I
    was hoping to spend under $3K in server costs (both machine and services)
    for the first year. If my little venture seems to be working, I'll invest
    in more and keep the small machine as a toy, if it doesn't work out, I'll
    keep a machine and only spend a few hundred in hosting costs.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  4. Re: mini pc colo

    On 10 Aug, 10:52, Miguel De Anda wrote:
    > Maybe "they" should standardize some "mini-server" cases so this can be a
    > more common thing.


    Like this, you mean?
    http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=69&pp=63,69.
    http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=3#p1152
    Most of these will take a mini-itx system or similar. The C147 will
    take two



  5. Re: mini pc colo

    Miguel De Anda wrote:

    > I didn't want to advertise for them, but I was looking for something
    > like this: http://www.macminicolo.net/ I'm pretty sure I can't find a
    > cheap colo that's even close to that.


    In case you're wondering . . . No, they're not interested in handling
    anything except Apple equipment. I've had several Minis there and an
    Xserve and when I needed to put a Linux server together for a
    particular project, it had to be on a Mini. Never again. Getting
    Linux to work on a Mini is a real pain in the ass. You start running
    into some strange issues that you just never have to deal with when
    you're running Linux on regular PC based hardware. Here's two issues
    to think about, and why I'll never do it again:

    1) Your Mini, running Linux, is going to be a server. So it's
    going to run headless. Guess what happens when you boot a Mini,
    into Linux, but without a monitor hooked up to it before hand? It
    works fine as long as there's a monitor there. But without one,
    it doesn't want to boot. You might be able to work around that by
    putting a dongle type device[1] out there to fool it, but my
    experience is that this doesn't always work. And when it doesn't
    you're calling them up to help you get the damned thing rebooted--and
    they charge you for this.

    2) You don't have a BIOS to adjust so there's not a way to tell it
    what to do when it's lost power and power is restored. In a modern
    PC's BIOS, you can make an adjustment so that it will just boot
    back up when the power is restored. Thus if there's a major problem,
    and you've got the thing hooked to something like an APC PDU, you
    can just remotely power cycle the thing. With the Mini, you don't
    have that. If all is working as it should you can "sort of" get
    this functionality by a bit of voodoo and poking some stuff at it
    with the setpci[2] command. In effect, the machine *must* boot up
    so as to poke this bit of info into the system's firmware--but it's
    not permanent. As I understand it, OS X does the same thing
    essentially. So if you wind up needing to power cycle the thing
    (remotely) and that video dongle isn't doing what it's suppose to,
    the system won't come up. So you power cycle again, but this time,
    since the firmware hasn't been poked, it won't power back up at
    all.


    So, if you want to use Mac Mini Colo, they won't have a problem if you
    want to run Linux on a Mini, but you're going to have difficulties.
    Better to just run OS X on it instead.

    > I'm sorta looking for something really cheap to get started. I'll get
    > a real server once everything is up and running. I was hoping to spend
    > under $3K in server costs (both machine and services) for the first
    > year. If my little venture seems to be working, I'll invest in more
    > and keep the small machine as a toy, if it doesn't work out, I'll keep
    > a machine and only spend a few hundred in hosting costs.


    What you may want to do instead, is look at SliceHost[3]. This isn't
    a colo place, but a way to have your own system at a very reasonable
    price. What you wind up with is a virtual machine (i.e., a "slice")
    of a larger machine that's using Xen. They even give you the option of
    several different Linux distributions to choose[4] from. I don't use
    this organization myself, but have a colleague that does and he's been
    satisfied with the service and the organization. The only downside
    though, is that if you decide you want to go this route, you're not
    going to be able to do it right away. They have a regular backlog[5]
    to fulfill, so you'd have to wait a bit before you could get going. I
    believe my colleague had to wait about 3-4 weeks before his service
    was ready.


    [1]: http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0153-GHDD
    [2]: http://www.madingley.org/macmini/
    [3]: http://www.slicehost.com/
    [4]: http://www.slicehost.com/faq#which-d...s-do-you-offer
    [5]: https://manage.slicehost.com/customers/reservation

    --

    If you want to reply via email, change the obvious words to numbers and
    remove ".invalid".

  6. Re: mini pc colo

    Michael Faurot wrote:

    > Miguel De Anda wrote:
    >
    >> I didn't want to advertise for them, but I was looking for something
    >> like this: http://www.macminicolo.net/ I'm pretty sure I can't find a
    >> cheap colo that's even close to that.

    >
    > In case you're wondering . . . No, they're not interested in handling
    > anything except Apple equipment. I've had several Minis there and an
    > Xserve and when I needed to put a Linux server together for a
    > particular project, it had to be on a Mini. Never again. Getting
    > Linux to work on a Mini is a real pain in the ass. You start running
    > into some strange issues that you just never have to deal with when
    > you're running Linux on regular PC based hardware. Here's two issues
    > to think about, and why I'll never do it again:
    >

    [snip]
    >
    > What you may want to do instead, is look at SliceHost[3]. This isn't
    > a colo place, but a way to have your own system at a very reasonable
    > price. What you wind up with is a virtual machine (i.e., a "slice")
    > of a larger machine that's using Xen. They even give you the option of
    > several different Linux distributions to choose[4] from. I don't use
    > this organization myself, but have a colleague that does and he's been
    > satisfied with the service and the organization. The only downside
    > though, is that if you decide you want to go this route, you're not
    > going to be able to do it right away. They have a regular backlog[5]
    > to fulfill, so you'd have to wait a bit before you could get going. I
    > believe my colleague had to wait about 3-4 weeks before his service
    > was ready.
    >
    >
    > [1]: http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0153-GHDD
    > [2]: http://www.madingley.org/macmini/
    > [3]: http://www.slicehost.com/
    > [4]: http://www.slicehost.com/faq#which-d...s-do-you-offer
    > [5]: https://manage.slicehost.com/customers/reservation



    That's too bad about the macs. They looked so nice. I had considered
    slicehost before, but I liked the idea of being able to run the machine
    locally for a few days to make sure it was all setup properly before
    shipping it. However I didn't want to pay too much each month so a full
    size server was out of the question. I suppose I'll try them out a few
    months and see how they work out. I'll make sure to comment on them to let
    everyone know about their service.





    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


+ Reply to Thread