raw file access for a usb attached digital memory card - Hardware

This is a discussion on raw file access for a usb attached digital memory card - Hardware ; My Compact Flash Didgital Memory card appears to have bit the dust. There are some pics on it ( vacation ) that I'd really like to get off of it. I've tried to dd if=/dev/sda of=outfile bs=2048k and I get ...

  1. raw file access for a usb attached digital memory card

    My Compact Flash Didgital Memory card appears to have bit the
    dust. There are some pics on it ( vacation ) that I'd really
    like to get off of it.

    I've tried to
    dd if=/dev/sda of=outfile bs=2048k
    and I get some data... but it's not what I'm hoping / expecting
    to get. My log shows:

    sd 5:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x08000002
    sda: Current: sense key: Medium Error
    Additional sense: Unrecovered read error
    Info fld=0xf0f58bf
    end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1005968
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005905
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005906
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005907
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005908
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005909
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005910
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005911
    sd 5:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x08000002
    sda: Current: sense key: Medium Error
    Additional sense: Unrecovered read error
    Info fld=0xf0f58bf
    end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1005983
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005920
    sd 5:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x08000002
    sda: Current: sense key: Medium Error
    Additional sense: Unrecovered read error
    Info fld=0xf0f58bf
    end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1005983
    Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005920

    .... is there different / better way than dd to get the raw
    data off of the card? I figure that if I have the raw data,
    I might be able to re-assemble some of the .jpg files that
    used to be on it.....

    I've tried some 'win32' programs.. but the memory card is
    just not being recognized as a valid drive...

    Any info / suggestions would be appreciated.

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  2. Re: raw file access for a usb attached digital memory card

    Jack Snodgrass staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > My Compact Flash Didgital Memory card appears to have bit the
    > dust.
    >
    > dd if=/dev/sda of=outfile bs=2048k

    The blocksize is too large, and you forgot conv=noerror. You will want
    to use dd_rescue if you've got it installed. If your distro doesn't
    provide a package for it, get it off freshmeat.net , as it doesn't have
    any dependencies besides libc, is easy to compile, and may just save
    your arse one day.

    > end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1005968
    > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005905
    > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005906

    [snippage]
    > ... is there different / better way than dd to get the raw data off of
    > the card? I figure that if I have the raw data, I might be able to
    > re-assemble some of the .jpg files that used to be on it.....

    After you've got the image of the thing via dd_rescue, make a copy of
    that image, then run dosfsck on the copy. If fsck eats too much data,
    you can then make another copy, then go after it with a hex editor or
    whatever. Also, was this thing partitioned or not? If it was, you may
    have an easier time dd_rescue'ing /dev/sda1 instead. Ah well, HTH,

    --
    This is my rifle, this is my GNU
    This is for fighting, this is for $FOO!

  3. Re: raw file access for a usb attached digital memory card

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:31:09 +0000, Jack Snodgrass wrote:

    > My Compact Flash Didgital Memory card appears to have bit the
    > dust. There are some pics on it ( vacation ) that I'd really
    > like to get off of it.
    >
    > I've tried to
    > dd if=/dev/sda of=outfile bs=2048k
    > and I get some data... but it's not what I'm hoping / expecting
    > to get. My log shows:

    add 'conv=noerror conv=sync' - noerror will keep going past read errors
    and sync will fill in zeroes for missing data.

    > sd 5:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x08000002
    > sda: Current: sense key: Medium Error
    > Additional sense: Unrecovered read error
    > Info fld=0xf0f58bf
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1005968
    > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005905
    > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005906
    > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005907
    > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005908
    > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005909
    > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005910
    > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005911
    > sd 5:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x08000002
    > sda: Current: sense key: Medium Error
    > Additional sense: Unrecovered read error
    > Info fld=0xf0f58bf
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1005983
    > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005920
    > sd 5:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x08000002
    > sda: Current: sense key: Medium Error
    > Additional sense: Unrecovered read error
    > Info fld=0xf0f58bf
    > end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 1005983
    > Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 1005920
    >
    > ... is there different / better way than dd to get the raw
    > data off of the card? I figure that if I have the raw data,
    > I might be able to re-assemble some of the .jpg files that
    > used to be on it.....
    >
    > I've tried some 'win32' programs.. but the memory card is
    > just not being recognized as a valid drive...
    >
    > Any info / suggestions would be appreciated.

  4. Re: raw file access for a usb attached digital memory card

    Dances With Crows wrote in message
    :
    > The blocksize is too large, and you forgot conv=noerror.

    conv=noerror,sync, in this case.

+ Reply to Thread