Yet another motherboard recommendation - Hardware

This is a discussion on Yet another motherboard recommendation - Hardware ; I built a home server based on a Gigabyte 945PL-S3 motherboard. The board works fine, but the SATA controller is a steaming pile of horses**t. AFAICT, it only allows access to one or two drives at a time, so my ...

  1. Yet another motherboard recommendation

    I built a home server based on a Gigabyte 945PL-S3 motherboard.

    The board works fine, but the SATA controller is a steaming pile of
    horses**t.

    AFAICT, it only allows access to one or two drives at a time, so my 4
    disk RAID-5 system grinds to a near-halt with a bunch of processes in a
    'D' state whenever the SATA subsystem gets under any sort of load.

    This happens all too often; all I need to do is to record 2 TV shows at
    once, and get hit by a few dozen emails, and perhaps throw an rsync job
    into the mix and BLAM! the system starts thrashing, with processes hung
    in D state and both cores at 97% wait states.

    This has something to do with the IRQ handler or perhaps the SATA
    interface; gigabyte came up with a bios update that fixed a small part
    of the problem - the ethernet no longer hangs up - but the SATA
    subsystem still hangs.

    So.. To make a long story short, I need a new mobo.

    I need the following:

    3 PCI slots
    2 PCI-x/16 slots (or 1 PCI-x/16 slot + on board nVidia graphics)
    4 SATA drive connectors

    The CPU doesn't very much matter; either AM2 or Core2 Duo would work.

    There was a thread here some time ago for this type of motherboard but I
    can't find it... And I can't find a mobo locator that allows me to
    search by PCI slots....

    Any recommendations? Or a motherboard search engine that works by PCI
    slots?

    Thanks,

    --Yan

  2. Re: Yet another motherboard recommendation

    How about the
    GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD
    Motherboard

    "CptDondo" wrote in message
    >I built a home server based on a Gigabyte 945PL-S3 motherboard.
    >
    > The board works fine, but the SATA controller is a steaming pile of
    > horses**t.
    >
    > AFAICT, it only allows access to one or two drives at a time, so my 4 disk
    > RAID-5 system grinds to a near-halt with a bunch of processes in a 'D'
    > state whenever the SATA subsystem gets under any sort of load.
    >
    > This happens all too often; all I need to do is to record 2 TV shows at
    > once, and get hit by a few dozen emails, and perhaps throw an rsync job
    > into the mix and BLAM! the system starts thrashing, with processes hung in
    > D state and both cores at 97% wait states.
    >
    > This has something to do with the IRQ handler or perhaps the SATA
    > interface; gigabyte came up with a bios update that fixed a small part of
    > the problem - the ethernet no longer hangs up - but the SATA subsystem
    > still hangs.
    >
    > So.. To make a long story short, I need a new mobo.
    >
    > I need the following:
    >
    > 3 PCI slots
    > 2 PCI-x/16 slots (or 1 PCI-x/16 slot + on board nVidia graphics)
    > 4 SATA drive connectors
    >
    > The CPU doesn't very much matter; either AM2 or Core2 Duo would work.
    >
    > There was a thread here some time ago for this type of motherboard but I
    > can't find it... And I can't find a mobo locator that allows me to search
    > by PCI slots....
    >
    > Any recommendations? Or a motherboard search engine that works by PCI
    > slots?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --Yan

  3. Re: Yet another motherboard recommendation

    CptDondo wrote:
    > The board works fine, but the SATA controller is a steaming pile of
    > horses**t.

    Perhaps all you need is a real hardware raid controller.

  4. Re: Yet another motherboard recommendation

    V Wed, 08 Aug 2007 15:47:45 -0700, Ogre napsal(a):

    > CptDondo wrote:
    >> The board works fine, but the SATA controller is a steaming pile of
    >> horses**t.

    > Perhaps all you need is a real hardware raid controller.

    I would if I could, but I have no slots available. :-(

    --Yan

  5. Re: Yet another motherboard recommendation

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    > V Wed, 08 Aug 2007 15:47:45 -0700, Ogre napsal(a):
    >
    >> CptDondo wrote:
    >>> The board works fine, but the SATA controller is a steaming pile of
    >>> horses**t.

    >> Perhaps all you need is a real hardware raid controller.

    > I would if I could, but I have no slots available. :-(

    OK, fixed. Turns out that there must be a problem with Intel ICH7
    chipset support in kernels < 2.6.22 - I upgraded the kernel, and spent
    yesterday running stress tests with no problem. I can run 5 instances
    of bonnie++, cp 1GB+ files back and forth, stream 3 recorded shows and
    record a tv show all at the same time with no noticeable delay in
    responsiveness.

    Clearly something has improved drastically between 2.6.20 and 2.6.22....

    :-)

+ Reply to Thread