Buffalo USB 2.0 External Drives - Hardware

This is a discussion on Buffalo USB 2.0 External Drives - Hardware ; I went into Fry's last Friday (a rather dangerous thing to do) and saw a nice sale. Buffalo 500 Gig USB 2.0 external drives for $110. I picked up two. It comes preformatted as fat 32 and the included management ...

  1. Buffalo USB 2.0 External Drives

    I went into Fry's last Friday (a rather dangerous thing to do) and saw a
    nice sale. Buffalo 500 Gig USB 2.0 external drives for $110. I picked
    up two. It comes preformatted as fat 32 and the included management CD
    does not support ext2 (or any other native linux file system). Because
    of limitations with mounting vfat on a Linux box, I nuked the existing
    partition table and divided into one NTFS partition and one ext2
    partition (half the drive for each). FYI, I used windows XP to redo the
    partition table, leaving half the drive unused, then moved it to my
    linux box to create the ext2 partition.

    Everything seems to be working perfectly on all my systems, though I
    don't dare use any of the included tools with it now since it probably
    has some kind of automatic recovery system that will think the drive has
    been corrupted.

    A pretty good price for a decent and simple backup unit.

    --
    Ogre

  2. Re: Buffalo USB 2.0 External Drives

    On 2007-08-08, Ogre wrote:

    > ... I nuked the existing partition table and divided into one NTFS
    > partition and one ext2 partition (half the drive for each). FYI, I used
    > windows XP to redo the partition table, leaving half the drive unused,
    > then moved it to my linux box to create the ext2 partition.

    Exactly the safest way to do it. I'd have use FAT for Windows, though.
    Easier to use from Linux.

    > Everything seems to be working perfectly on all my systems, though I
    > don't dare use any of the included tools with it now since it probably
    > has some kind of automatic recovery system that will think the drive has
    > been corrupted.

    I don't think they'd just start correcting without asking something.
    Alltough...

    Still, that's not the point of that CD anyway. They're coasters (sp?), just
    like those that come with most printers today.

    The knack
    lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Douglas Adams

  3. Re: Buffalo USB 2.0 External Drives

    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > On 2007-08-08, Ogre wrote:
    >
    >> ... I nuked the existing partition table and divided into one NTFS
    >> partition and one ext2 partition (half the drive for each). FYI, I used
    >> windows XP to redo the partition table, leaving half the drive unused,
    >> then moved it to my linux box to create the ext2 partition.

    > Exactly the safest way to do it. I'd have use FAT for Windows, though.
    > Easier to use from Linux.

    For some odd reason winxp pro didn't give me the option of choosing FAT,
    which is my preference for external drives -- just in case I want to
    access it from linux.

    --
    Ogre

  4. Re: Buffalo USB 2.0 External Drives

    Ogre wrote:

    >Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >> On 2007-08-08, Ogre wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... I nuked the existing partition table and divided into one NTFS
    >>> partition and one ext2 partition (half the drive for each). FYI, I used
    >>> windows XP to redo the partition table, leaving half the drive unused,
    >>> then moved it to my linux box to create the ext2 partition.

    >> Exactly the safest way to do it. I'd have use FAT for Windows, though.
    >> Easier to use from Linux.

    >For some odd reason winxp pro didn't give me the option of choosing FAT,
    >which is my preference for external drives -- just in case I want to
    >access it from linux.

    I have recently run into this issue as well. Apparenly Microsoft has
    put a 32Gig limit on FAT32 partitions. To create one larger I was
    forced to use Linux tools.

    Basically I:

    - Create partitions with Linux fdisk and use type "b" for FAT32.
    - Format the partitions with:
    `mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n YourVolName -v /dev/sdax`
    (Where "YourVolName" and "sdax" reflect your requirements.)

    Hope this helps.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

  5. Re: Buffalo USB 2.0 External Drives

    On 2007-08-09, Ogre wrote:

    >>> ... I nuked the existing partition table and divided into one NTFS
    >>> partition and one ext2 partition (half the drive for each). FYI, I used
    >>> windows XP to redo the partition table, leaving half the drive unused,
    >>> then moved it to my linux box to create the ext2 partition.

    >> Exactly the safest way to do it. I'd have use FAT for Windows, though.
    >> Easier to use from Linux.

    > For some odd reason winxp pro didn't give me the option of choosing FAT,
    > which is my preference for external drives -- just in case I want to
    > access it from linux.

    Isn't that strange? I was reformatting two pocket drives this afternoon, and
    discovered the same thing. Must be linked to the size, because I did a flash
    drive recently, with FAT.

    I must have formatted the previous HD ones under Linux or Win2000, becasue I
    don't remember hitting that behaviour.

    Still, maybe it was for the best. When I used Yast's partitioner to reformat
    them, I discovered they worked *without* a partition. Nothing, none, nada.

    Funny, how they all do such weird things in their devices, when doing it
    right is easy...

    Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread