Intel 82801GBM/GHM SATA controller problem - Hardware

This is a discussion on Intel 82801GBM/GHM SATA controller problem - Hardware ; Hi all, I have a new PC and cannot enable the DMA on the SATA. It has an Intel 82801GBM/GHM SATA controller. Any assistance appreciated. Thanks....

  1. Intel 82801GBM/GHM SATA controller problem

    Hi all,
    I have a new PC and cannot enable the DMA on the SATA.
    It has an Intel 82801GBM/GHM SATA controller.
    Any assistance appreciated.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Intel 82801GBM/GHM SATA controller problem

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 14:18:33 -0700, plenty560 wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I have a new PC and cannot enable the DMA on the SATA.
    > It has an Intel 82801GBM/GHM SATA controller.
    > Any assistance appreciated.
    > Thanks.

    AFAIK, the chipset will be programmed into an optimal mode when the kernel
    boots. If not, then using hdparm may be necessary. Be careful.

    I have recently setup a board with an Intel 965 chipset. I was
    pleasantly surprised that everything worked (and without tweaking) with a
    recent Linux kernel. I was using 2.6.21.7. What kernel are you using?

    OT: I was also pleasantly surprised that 2.6.21.7 fixed an issue with the
    sky2 network driver which was broken under 2.6.21.5. Fixes are quick with
    Linux

    --
    Douglas Mayne

  3. Re: Intel 82801GBM/GHM SATA controller problem

    Douglas Mayne wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 14:18:33 -0700, plenty560 wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I have a new PC and cannot enable the DMA on the SATA.
    >> It has an Intel 82801GBM/GHM SATA controller.
    >> Any assistance appreciated.
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > AFAIK, the chipset will be programmed into an optimal mode when the kernel
    > boots. If not, then using hdparm may be necessary. Be careful.
    >
    > I have recently setup a board with an Intel 965 chipset. I was
    > pleasantly surprised that everything worked (and without tweaking) with a
    > recent Linux kernel. I was using 2.6.21.7. What kernel are you using?
    >
    > OT: I was also pleasantly surprised that 2.6.21.7 fixed an issue with the
    > sky2 network driver which was broken under 2.6.21.5. Fixes are quick with
    > Linux

    I saw a combo board set for cheap, on 3btech.com and grabbed it.

    Always did that, though somewhat did referto the hardware lists, on some
    distro web sites, and have not been disappointed yet, as everything runs
    with the 32 and the 64 bit http://www.mepis.org

    Yesterday, tried an internal wifi card in my Compaq Evo 1.5 Intel p4
    box, (that goes to installfests as it is smaller), and stuck in Fedora
    Core 7 that runs the latest 2.6.22 kernel, that fixed all the wifi...
    The ADM8201 chipped wifi came right up!

    Kernel.org is where to go and read, that they made wifi the focus for
    this iteration.

  4. Re: Intel 82801GBM/GHM SATA controller problem

    > I have recently setup a board with an Intel 965 chipset. I was
    > pleasantly surprised that everything worked (and without tweaking) with a
    > recent Linux kernel. I was using 2.6.21.7. What kernel are you using?

    Oddly enough even though the DMA & 32bit are disabled
    I get pretty good performance of 12 MB/sec when reading,
    tested using hdparm. This is a laptop. I'm using 2.6.20.15,
    because the HD audio is broken in later kernels (2.6.21 definitely).

+ Reply to Thread