Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements??? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements??? - Hardware ; On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:56:32 +0000, Nicolas George wrote: > Shadow_7 wrote in message : >> Perhaps they have a really nice monitor > > A monitor on a file server? Well, not to imply it's always gonna have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements???

  1. Re: Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements???

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:56:32 +0000, Nicolas George wrote:

    > Shadow_7 wrote in message :
    >> Perhaps they have a really nice monitor

    >
    > A monitor on a file server?


    Well, not to imply it's always gonna have a monitor. But for those times
    when the power goes out and the UPS fails, or other issues arise. You'll
    need a monitor or some sort to get the box back into commission. There
    are monitor-less options like running from a live CD, or using some sort
    of ssh method of configuration. But even those run into issues on
    occasion.

  2. Re: Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements???

    Shadow_7 wrote in message :
    > Well, not to imply it's always gonna have a monitor. But for those times
    > when the power goes out and the UPS fails, or other issues arise. You'll
    > need a monitor or some sort to get the box back into commission. There
    > are monitor-less options like running from a live CD, or using some sort
    > of ssh method of configuration. But even those run into issues on
    > occasion.


    And you need a 32"+ LCD and an X11 server to run fsck?

  3. Re: Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements???

    >> But even those run into issues on occasion.
    >
    > And you need a 32"+ LCD and an X11 server to run fsck?


    Probably not, but are you likely to find a liveCD that doesn't run X11?
    And what are we talking about, a difference of 70MB out of 10,000MB?
    Which is a whole 0.7% of the space available. Although over dial-up that
    is a 7 hour download.


  4. Re: Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements???

    On 2007-08-08, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    >>>or from an IDE drive any larger than 40Gb.

    >>
    >>IME, if /boot is on its own partition located somewhere in the first 1024
    >>cylinders, you should be able to boot nearly any drive. I've not yet tried
    >>booting an LBA48 hard drive on older hardware, but I've had Linux booting
    >>without a drive overlay on drive/motherboard combos that would need a drive
    >>overlay if you had put Windows on it instead.

    >
    > Still, *that* particular motherboard won't boot from a larger disk.


    Use a accepted size disk to put your system and swap on. Use any size disk
    as second, to put your data on. Don't configure the second HD in your bios,
    just set it to 'none'.


    --
    There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Douglas Adams

  5. Re: Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements???

    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >On 2007-08-08, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    >
    >>>>or from an IDE drive any larger than 40Gb.
    >>>
    >>>IME, if /boot is on its own partition located somewhere in the first 1024
    >>>cylinders, you should be able to boot nearly any drive. I've not yet tried
    >>>booting an LBA48 hard drive on older hardware, but I've had Linux booting
    >>>without a drive overlay on drive/motherboard combos that would need a drive
    >>>overlay if you had put Windows on it instead.

    >>
    >> Still, *that* particular motherboard won't boot from a larger disk.

    >
    >Use a accepted size disk to put your system and swap on. Use any size disk
    >as second, to put your data on. Don't configure the second HD in your bios,
    >just set it to 'none'.


    (You did realize that I was describing to someone else,
    who asked _if_ it could be done, just exactly _how_ that
    system has been running for 10 years now...)

    Whatever, you don't have it right.

    There is no need to put swap on that particular drive,
    and in fact doing so is undesirable for a number of
    reasons. It also makes no difference at all if the
    second (or any of the other 7 hard disks that this
    system will support with the extra IDE controller card)
    is configured by the BIOS, or not. Whatever the BIOS
    thinks they are is going to be totally ignored anyway.

    Locating swap partitions (note the plural) is an
    interesting topic. Ideally, given this is describing a
    "file server" which will probably end up with several
    drives, _each_ disk should have one swap partition. And
    if there are only two disks, put them on different
    cables. Hence the boot drive is /dev/hda, put a
    CDROM/DVD at /dev/hdb if there is only one other drive,
    and put it at /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd. When another drive
    is added, move the CDROM/DVD to /dev/hdd, and put the
    new drive at /dev/hdb.

    To add more drives, add another IDE controller, and
    again if there are two drives on it put them on
    different cables. The first would go at /dev/hde or
    /dev/hdf, the second at /dev/hdg or /dev/hdh.

    All of the available swap partitions should be mounted
    as "pri=1" as a way to speed up any swapping that does
    occur. The exception to all of that would probably be
    the boot disk! That is because it is an old, slow,
    small disk, and hopefully all of the others are newer
    and significantly faster. If any part of the total swap
    space is put on that slow disk, it should be tagged with
    a lower priority to make its actual use less likely.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@apaflo.com

  6. Re: Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements???

    Hello,

    Floyd L. Davidson a écrit :
    > Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >>
    >>Use a accepted size disk to put your system and swap on. Use any size disk
    >>as second, to put your data on. Don't configure the second HD in your bios,
    >>just set it to 'none'.

    [...]
    > It also makes no difference at all if the
    > second (or any of the other 7 hard disks that this
    > system will support with the extra IDE controller card)
    > is configured by the BIOS, or not.


    Yes it does make a difference. Some old pre-2000 BIOSes hang when trying
    to auto-detect IDE disks with a size bigger than ~32 GB.

  7. Re: Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements???

    floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:
    >Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >>Use a accepted size disk to put your system and swap on. Use any size disk
    >>as second, to put your data on. Don't configure the second HD in your bios,
    >>just set it to 'none'.

    ....
    >There is no need to put swap on that particular drive,


    Nor is it necessary to put the system on that drive. Only the boot
    partition (which contains the boot loader, the kernel, and the initrd)
    needs to be on that drive.

    >It also makes no difference at all if the
    >second (or any of the other 7 hard disks that this
    >system will support with the extra IDE controller card)
    >is configured by the BIOS, or not.


    For many BIOSes this is true. But IIRC there are some that hang when
    the disk size is too large, and you can probably get around that with
    the "none" setting.

    The BIOS may do undesirable things (like hanging) if the disk is too
    large.

    - anton
    --
    M. Anton Ertl Some things have to be seen to be believed
    anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be seen
    http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html

  8. Re: Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements???

    On 2007-08-09, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

    >>>>>or from an IDE drive any larger than 40Gb.
    >>>>
    >>>>IME, if /boot is on its own partition located somewhere in the first 1024
    >>>>cylinders, you should be able to boot nearly any drive. I've not yet tried
    >>>>booting an LBA48 hard drive on older hardware, but I've had Linux booting
    >>>>without a drive overlay on drive/motherboard combos that would need a drive
    >>>>overlay if you had put Windows on it instead.
    >>>
    >>> Still, *that* particular motherboard won't boot from a larger disk.

    >>
    >>Use a accepted size disk to put your system and swap on. Use any size disk
    >>as second, to put your data on. Don't configure the second HD in your bios,
    >>just set it to 'none'.

    >
    > (You did realize that I was describing to someone else,
    > who asked _if_ it could be done, just exactly _how_ that
    > system has been running for 10 years now...)
    >
    > Whatever, you don't have it right.


    Looks like I might have missed part of the conversation.
    I thought it was about booting problems with large drive on older systems.
    Got that from this line:
    >>> Still, *that* particular motherboard won't boot from a larger disk.



    So, my point was merely: if you do have that kind of problem, it's easily
    circumvented by using an accepted drive as first one. The second (an any
    number of others) can be any size, and need not to be configured in the bios.

    Suggestion to put the swap on it, was just because I did it on my (very
    small) server. Probably not required, I agree.


    Sorry to have interrupted a topic on some very advanced server
    configuration.
    (multiple swaps? Never thought of that, must try.).


    --
    There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Douglas Adams

  9. Re: Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements???

    On 2007-08-09, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

    > Floyd L. Davidson a écrit :
    >> Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Use a accepted size disk to put your system and swap on. Use any size disk
    >>>as second, to put your data on. Don't configure the second HD in your bios,
    >>>just set it to 'none'.

    > [...]
    >> It also makes no difference at all if the
    >> second (or any of the other 7 hard disks that this
    >> system will support with the extra IDE controller card)
    >> is configured by the BIOS, or not.

    >
    > Yes it does make a difference. Some old pre-2000 BIOSes hang when trying
    > to auto-detect IDE disks with a size bigger than ~32 GB.


    Yup. Thanks.


    --
    There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Douglas Adams

  10. Re: Convert Old PC to Linux - Minimal Requirements???

    On 2007-08-09, Anton Ertl wrote:
    >
    >
    > floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:
    >>Rikishi 42 wrote:
    >>>Use a accepted size disk to put your system and swap on. Use any size disk
    >>>as second, to put your data on. Don't configure the second HD in your bios,
    >>>just set it to 'none'.

    > ...
    >>There is no need to put swap on that particular drive,

    >
    > Nor is it necessary to put the system on that drive. Only the boot
    > partition (which contains the boot loader, the kernel, and the initrd)
    > needs to be on that drive.
    >
    >>It also makes no difference at all if the
    >>second (or any of the other 7 hard disks that this
    >>system will support with the extra IDE controller card)
    >>is configured by the BIOS, or not.

    >
    > For many BIOSes this is true. But IIRC there are some that hang when
    > the disk size is too large, and you can probably get around that with
    > the "none" setting.
    >
    > The BIOS may do undesirable things (like hanging) if the disk is too
    > large.


    My point exacly. Thank you.


    --
    There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
    The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
    Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2