what's the mechanism that starts programs when media is installed? - Hardware

This is a discussion on what's the mechanism that starts programs when media is installed? - Hardware ; Subject says it all -- on an Ubuntu/Gnome system, what is the mechanism by which programs are started automatically when devices are plugged into USB ports? For example, plug in an iPod and Rythmbox starts up....

  1. what's the mechanism that starts programs when media is installed?

    Subject says it all -- on an Ubuntu/Gnome system, what is the mechanism by
    which programs are started automatically when devices are plugged into USB
    ports? For example, plug in an iPod and Rythmbox starts up.

  2. Re: what's the mechanism that starts programs when media is installed?

    Whoever wrote:

    > Subject says it all -- on an Ubuntu/Gnome system, what is the mechanism by
    > which programs are started automatically when devices are plugged into USB
    > ports? For example, plug in an iPod and Rythmbox starts up.

    What launches when a multimedia device is plugged in can be set within an
    utility program, reached through: System --> Preferences --> Removable
    Drives and Media --> Multimedia tab.

    Cheers.

    --

    The "Wow" starts now. http://tinyurl.com/269m7q

    "Vista is finally secure from hacking. No one is going to 'hack' the product
    activation and try and steal the o/s. Anyone smart enough to do so ... is
    also smart enough not to want to bother." philo

  3. Re: what's the mechanism that starts programs when media is installed?

    On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, NoStop wrote:

    > Whoever wrote:
    >
    >> Subject says it all -- on an Ubuntu/Gnome system, what is the mechanism by
    >> which programs are started automatically when devices are plugged into USB
    >> ports? For example, plug in an iPod and Rythmbox starts up.

    > What launches when a multimedia device is plugged in can be set within an
    > utility program, reached through: System --> Preferences --> Removable
    > Drives and Media --> Multimedia tab.

    Well, my question was in part prompted by the lack of such a menu option.
    Further googling showed that I needed to install "gnome-volume-manager",
    which is not installed by default as part of gnome under Gentoo.

+ Reply to Thread