Do you need drivers for external hard drives for Linux? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Do you need drivers for external hard drives for Linux? - Hardware ; I'm new to linux, so don't laugh too hard, but do you need drivers to use external USB hard drives? I'm used to Windows where you need drivers for everything, but it looks like you may not for Linux from ...

  1. Do you need drivers for external hard drives for Linux?

    I'm new to linux, so don't laugh too hard, but do you need drivers to
    use external USB hard drives? I'm used to Windows where you need
    drivers for everything, but it looks like you may not for Linux from
    what little experience I have.

  2. Re: Do you need drivers for external hard drives for Linux?

    dragonmaster@redwing.net wrote in message
    <1186344285.183882.54440@m37g2000prh.googlegroups.c om>:
    > I'm new to linux, so don't laugh too hard, but do you need drivers to
    > use external USB hard drives?

    Of course you need a driver -- just one, the same as for USB sticks.
    Fortunately, it is included in the standard kernel since more than six
    years, and shipped with every distribution where it may be useful. You
    probably will not remark anything as it will be automatically loaded.

  3. Re: Do you need drivers for external hard drives for Linux?

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 13:04:45 -0700, dragonmaster wrote:

    > I'm new to linux, so don't laugh too hard, but do you need drivers to
    > use external USB hard drives? I'm used to Windows where you need
    > drivers for everything, but it looks like you may not for Linux from
    > what little experience I have.

    No, you don't.

  4. Re: Do you need drivers for external hard drives for Linux?

    On 2007-08-05, dragonmaster@redwing.net wrote:

    > I'm new to linux, so don't laugh too hard, but do you need drivers to
    > use external USB hard drives? I'm used to Windows where you need
    > drivers for everything, but it looks like you may not for Linux from
    > what little experience I have.

    Just the usb_storage support, which you likely already have.

    --

    -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  5. Re: Do you need drivers for external hard drives for Linux?

    > Just the usb_storage support, which you likely already have.
    >
    > --
    >
    > -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

    Ok... those are some conflicting answers. I have a 1GB flash drive,
    and all I had to do to use it was mount it. To those of you who say I
    do need a driver, would I do the same thing for, say, a 500GB external
    USB drive?

  6. Re: Do you need drivers for external hard drives for Linux?

    dragonmaster@redwing.net wrote:
    >> Just the usb_storage support, which you likely already have.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

    > Ok... those are some conflicting answers. I have a 1GB flash drive,
    > and all I had to do to use it was mount it. To those of you who say I
    > do need a driver, would I do the same thing for, say, a 500GB external
    > USB drive?

    Have a 500Gb drive, external Firewire 1394. Formatted it as EXT3. It
    stays plugged in to a firewire port, along with other drives, on this
    system to act as network collectors of great files and stuff...

    But, Firewire is actually faster than USB 2.0 on many systems, because
    many of us run USB devices , USB trackballs, drawing pads, web cams, and
    each added device cuts the bandwidth and thus, the speed for data for
    every item!

  7. Re: Do you need drivers for external hard drives for Linux?

    dragonmaster@redwing.net wrote:
    >> Just the usb_storage support, which you likely already have.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

    > Ok... those are some conflicting answers.

    Really? I only saw answers which more complete than others. The succinct
    answer is 'No. You don't need an /extra/ driver'. Linux comes with the
    USB drivers already enabled in the kernel.

    > I have a 1GB flash drive,
    > and all I had to do to use it was mount it. To those of you who say I
    > do need a driver, would I do the same thing for, say, a 500GB external
    > USB drive?

    Yes. Just mount it as you would a flash drive.

  8. Re: Do you need drivers for external hard drives for Linux?

    On 2007-08-06, dragonmaster@redwing.net wrote:

    >> Just the usb_storage support, which you likely already have.

    > Ok... those are some conflicting answers.

    You need a driver. An USB Mass-Storage driver. But that driver is allready
    in every distro out there.

    So no, you don't need a driver, not in the sence you have to find one. It's
    allready there.

    > I have a 1GB flash drive,
    > and all I had to do to use it was mount it. To those of you who say I
    > do need a driver, would I do the same thing for, say, a 500GB external
    > USB drive?

    I use:
    - 128MB flash drive
    - 256MB flash drive
    - 1 GB flash drive
    - 40 GB HD
    - 250 GB HD
    - a Sony Cybershot camera
    - a memory card (CF, SD, etc...) reader

    They all behave as 'USB Mass Storage' devices. They're all working with the same
    driver. The one allready in my/your system.

    Douglas Adams

  9. Re: Do you need drivers for external hard drives for Linux?

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 20:30:24 -0700, dragonmaster wrote:

    >> Just the usb_storage support, which you likely already have.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

    > Ok... those are some conflicting answers. I have a 1GB flash drive,
    > and all I had to do to use it was mount it. To those of you who say I
    > do need a driver, would I do the same thing for, say, a 500GB external
    > USB drive?

    You plug it in, it should work. Yes, the technical answer is: you need a
    driver. The practical answer is: it's almost certainly there by default so
    you need not do anything special.

+ Reply to Thread