Fingerprint authentication on a linux server? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Fingerprint authentication on a linux server? - Hardware ; I am looking for a way to setup a fingerprint authentication on a linux server. I am looking for a way to be able to use a fingerprint scanner to authenticate the users at the actual server, and, if possible, ...

  1. Fingerprint authentication on a linux server?

    I am looking for a way to setup a fingerprint authentication on a linux
    server. I am looking for a way to be able to use a fingerprint scanner to
    authenticate the users at the actual server, and, if possible, when setting
    up SSH connections from remote computers. Have any of you guys ever set
    anything like this up? Can you recommend any hardware that would work well?

    I am just researching this right now and would appreciate any help. Thank
    you.

    - Bogdan

  2. Re: Fingerprint authentication on a linux server?

    x0054 wrote:

    > I am looking for a way to setup a fingerprint authentication on a linux
    > server. I am looking for a way to be able to use a fingerprint scanner to
    > authenticate the users at the actual server, and, if possible, when
    > setting up SSH connections from remote computers. Have any of you guys
    > ever set anything like this up? Can you recommend any hardware that would
    > work well?
    >
    > I am just researching this right now and would appreciate any help. Thank
    > you.
    >
    > - Bogdan

    VeriFinger, it is a fingerprint identification software development kit.

    I had a feeling I had seen finger print logins on some Linux distro. Turns
    out it has been on for some time,
    FDC4/5..Now
    RHEL
    Suse9.3
    Gentoo
    and others

    So it has been around for a while, I've never seen a place where it is used
    but apparently some of the new HP laptops are using built in finger print
    scanners.

    The google search "fingerprint login linux" brought up some good links, one
    in particular that might prove usefull for you is,

    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...erprint_reader

  3. Re: Fingerprint authentication on a linux server?

    on Wednesday 01 August 2007 08:33
    in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware
    x0054 wrote:

    > I am looking for a way to setup a fingerprint authentication on a linux
    > server. I am looking for a way to be able to use a fingerprint scanner to
    > authenticate the users at the actual server, and, if possible, when
    > setting up SSH connections from remote computers. Have any of you guys
    > ever set anything like this up? Can you recommend any hardware that would
    > work well?
    >
    > I am just researching this right now and would appreciate any help. Thank
    > you.

    The only fingerprint reader to even consider using is one labeled,
    "toy only - not for real use", or one that can detect that you are
    still alive and attached to the finger.

    Which finger do you want the thieves to cut off and keep when they
    discard your corpse? Read news://comp.risks, a glorious compilation of
    hilarious and appalling mistakes that people (keep) making with
    computers.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.