URRobotics 56K* V.92+ Faxmodem USB - Hardware

This is a discussion on URRobotics 56K* V.92+ Faxmodem USB - Hardware ; Hi. Does anyone here have a "USRobotics 56K* V.92+ Faxmodem USB" http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-d...5633b&loc=frnc ? Does it work with Linux? (USR tech support says no, but it may just mean they do not want to support it.)...

  1. URRobotics 56K* V.92+ Faxmodem USB

    Hi.

    Does anyone here have a "USRobotics 56K* V.92+ Faxmodem USB"
    http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-d...5633b&loc=frnc
    ? Does it work with Linux?

    (USR tech support says no, but it may just mean they do not want to support
    it.)

  2. Re: URRobotics 56K* V.92+ Faxmodem USB

    Hello Nicolas!

    31 Jul 07 20:16, Nicolas George wrote to All:

    NG> Does anyone here have a "USRobotics 56K* V.92+ Faxmodem USB"
    NG> http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-d...od=hom-5633b&l
    NG> oc=frnc ? Does it work with Linux?

    NG> (USR tech support says no, but it may just mean they do not want to
    NG> support it.)

    I have a USR Courier V.All that works with Windox.all (Not tested with vista),
    OS/2, MSDOS, PCDOS, Linux all versions.

    That said it is NOT a USB device but a serial port one.

    It might be worth checking the hardware support site for your distro although
    I don't see why there should be a problem using a current distribution.

    Hope this helps in some way,

    Vince

  3. Re: URRobotics 56K* V.92+ Faxmodem USB

    "Vince Coen" wrote in message <1185982206@f609.n257.z2.fidonet.ftn>:
    > That said it is NOT a USB device but a serial port one.

    Thanks, but that is actually the USB version I am interested in: I am pretty
    sure that the serial version would work, but it is more than twice the
    price, not counting the USB-serial adapter (as my computer does not have a
    serial port).

    > It might be worth checking the hardware support site for your distro although

    I usually build my own kernel from the vanilla one.

    > I don't see why there should be a problem using a current distribution.

    Well, if there is no driver for that modem, I do not see how it could work.

    Unfortunately, to check that, I would need the USB Ids of the modem, and
    they do not seem to be available on the web nor in the standard usb.ids
    database.

  4. Re: URRobotics 56K* V.92+ Faxmodem USB

    In <46af9889$0$14298$426a74cc@news.free.fr> Nicolas George:

    [Snip...]

    > http://www.usr-emea.com/products/p-d...5633b&loc=frnc

    It's apparently (from the URL above) a 5633b (I guess?).

    > ? Does it work with Linux?

    I did a search on USR 5633b modem with google.com/linux, and it wasn't too
    encouraging in terms of getting it to work with Linux (AFAICT).

    > (USR tech support says no, but it may just mean they do not want to support
    > it.)

    I suspect they really mean it. IMO, USR is one of the better vendors about
    explicitly mentioning Linux/Mac/whatever support (if actually available).

    For instance I've used their 5610b (now 5610c) legacy serial modems for my
    Linux/FreeBSD/whatever installs, years now with no problems.

    For example, look at the Linux support mentioned in

    http://www.usr.com/products/home/hom...s&sku=USR5610C

    under "Minimum System Requirements" specs. Linux is mentioned first.

    HTH; YMMV...

  5. Re: URRobotics 56K* V.92+ Faxmodem USB

    Harold Stevens wrote in message
    :
    > It's apparently (from the URL above) a 5633b (I guess?).

    It seems so, but this number only appears as part of a "product number":
    USR065633B. I do not know if removing the 06 is allowed or not.

    > I did a search on USR 5633b modem with google.com/linux, and it wasn't too
    > encouraging in terms of getting it to work with Linux (AFAICT).

    > I suspect they really mean it. IMO, USR is one of the better vendors about
    > explicitly mentioning Linux/Mac/whatever support (if actually available).

    Too bad

    > For instance I've used their 5610b (now 5610c) legacy serial modems for my
    > Linux/FreeBSD/whatever installs, years now with no problems.
    >
    > For example, look at the Linux support mentioned in
    >
    > http://www.usr.com/products/home/hom...s&sku=USR5610C
    >
    > under "Minimum System Requirements" specs. Linux is mentioned first.

    I had spotted that. But "supporting" Linux on serial modems does not cost
    anything.

    I believe I will settle on the 5668D plus an USB-RS232 adapter.

    Unless someone has other advices: that is the voice part I am interested in,
    to use as an answering machine. I do not need actual modem features: a sound
    card with a RJ11 plug would suit me perfectly (except for the called-Id
    feature).

+ Reply to Thread