Question about SATA and Ubuntu - Hardware

This is a discussion on Question about SATA and Ubuntu - Hardware ; I'm planning on migrating my Ubuntu FF installation over to a Western Digital SATA 250GB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive and I am wondering if there are any restrictions with Ubuntu working with SATA. I've already confirmed that my MOBO can ...

  1. Question about SATA and Ubuntu

    I'm planning on migrating my Ubuntu FF installation over to a Western
    Digital SATA 250GB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive and I am wondering if there
    are any restrictions with Ubuntu working with SATA. I've already
    confirmed that my MOBO can handle it, but if Ubuntu can't I won't bother.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Question about SATA and Ubuntu

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:47:48 +0000, JT wrote:

    > I'm planning on migrating my Ubuntu FF installation over to a Western
    > Digital SATA 250GB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive and I am wondering if there
    > are any restrictions with Ubuntu working with SATA. I've already
    > confirmed that my MOBO can handle it, but if Ubuntu can't I won't bother.
    >
    > Thanks

    Here's some more specs on the motherboard in case

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=472140

  3. Re: Question about SATA and Ubuntu

    JT wrote:
    > I'm planning on migrating my Ubuntu FF installation over to a Western
    > Digital SATA 250GB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive and I am wondering if there
    > are any restrictions with Ubuntu working with SATA. I've already
    > confirmed that my MOBO can handle it, but if Ubuntu can't I won't bother.

    Well, if the mobo can handle it then I'm sure Ubuntu will as well. Try
    setting it up as a slave and mount in under Ubuntu to be sure.

    There used to be some issues when having both SATA and IDE drives at the
    same time. Some mobos will only default to the IDE as the primary boot
    disk. I'm not sure what the latest info is on this these days...

  4. Re: Question about SATA and Ubuntu

    JT wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:47:48 +0000, JT wrote:
    >
    >> I'm planning on migrating my Ubuntu FF installation over to a Western
    >> Digital SATA 250GB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive and I am wondering if
    >> there
    >> are any restrictions with Ubuntu working with SATA. I've already
    >> confirmed that my MOBO can handle it, but if Ubuntu can't I won't bother.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Here's some more specs on the motherboard in case

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=472140

    That has a via8237 controller, which *appears* to match this PCI ID WRT SATA

    http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=11060591

    And that PCI ID appears in the modinfo listing for sata_via.ko on my Ubuntu
    7.04 box:

    % modinfo /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/kernel/drivers/ata/sata_via.ko
    filename: /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/kernel/drivers/ata/sata_via.ko
    version: 2.1
    license: GPL
    author: Jeff Garzik
    srcversion: 5DB7EA2D401F78FE10A34FD
    alias: pci:v00001106d00003249sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    alias: pci:v00001106d00003149sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    alias: pci:v00001106d00000591sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    alias: pci:v00001106d00005337sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    depends: libata
    vermagic: 2.6.20-16-generic SMP mod_unload 586

    VIA SATA controllers are usually OK with linux, so it looks promising to me.
    BUT if it's critical that you don't waste your money, then hang around and
    see if anyone else has any more info. On the basis of that and my personal
    experience, I'd give it a 80-90% chance of success.

    HTH

    Tim

  5. Re: Question about SATA and Ubuntu

    JT writes:

    > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:47:48 +0000, JT wrote:
    >
    > > I'm planning on migrating my Ubuntu FF installation over to a Western
    > > Digital SATA 250GB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive and I am wondering if there
    > > are any restrictions with Ubuntu working with SATA. I've already
    > > confirmed that my MOBO can handle it, but if Ubuntu can't I won't bother.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > Here's some more specs on the motherboard in case
    >
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=472140

    I believe that the Desktop CD is also a Live CD. That being the case, just
    burn a copy, boot from it, and see if it can see your hard drive. No
    installation is necessary.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

+ Reply to Thread