Maximum Hard Drive Size on older Motherboard ? - Hardware

This is a discussion on Maximum Hard Drive Size on older Motherboard ? - Hardware ; Hi. I have an old linux 2.4 box on an Abit BX6r2 (440BX) motherboard, PII-450, UDMA/33. Can I buy a new 500GB or 750GB ATA-100 HD and use the full drive even if the motherboard bios is probably limited to ...

  1. Maximum Hard Drive Size on older Motherboard ?

    Hi. I have an old linux 2.4 box on an Abit BX6r2 (440BX) motherboard, PII-450,
    UDMA/33. Can I buy a new 500GB or 750GB ATA-100 HD and use the full drive
    even if the motherboard bios is probably limited to 120 gb (this is what I've
    read)?

    I've been web searching, and LBA-48 related comments come up, but I don't know
    if this will be a limit or not. I can't find a definitive answer.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Maximum Hard Drive Size on older Motherboard ?

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:51:13 +0000, John Rhome wrote:

    > Hi. I have an old linux 2.4 box on an Abit BX6r2 (440BX) motherboard,
    > PII-450, UDMA/33. Can I buy a new 500GB or 750GB ATA-100 HD and use the
    > full drive even if the motherboard bios is probably limited to 120 gb
    > (this is what I've read)?
    >
    > I've been web searching, and LBA-48 related comments come up, but I
    > don't know if this will be a limit or not. I can't find a definitive
    > answer.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Your fallback position is to put a Promise card into your machine. The
    current generation of Promise cards all seem to be SATA-II so you'll need
    to get an SATA-II disk rather than a PATA disk if you go that route
    unless you can find an old Promise card somewhere.

  3. Re: Maximum Hard Drive Size on older Motherboard ?

    > Hi. I have an old linux 2.4 box on an Abit BX6r2 (440BX) motherboard,
    > PII-450, UDMA/33. Can I buy a new 500GB or 750GB ATA-100 HD and use the
    > full drive even if the motherboard bios is probably limited to 120 gb
    > (this is what I've read)?

    You should be able to "use" a 500GB drive. BUT... you will need to have
    several partitions. And may have to do some trickery to use partitions
    other than the primary. Isn't it a 137GB limit? Which is imposed by the
    motherboard specifically. If you don't want to have to deal with it,
    than you should limit yourself to 120GB or smaller disks. Or just
    upgrade your motherboard and/or computer(s). Something which is probably
    cheaper to do than pay your phone bill these days.

  4. Re: Maximum Hard Drive Size on older Motherboard ?

    "John Rhome" writes:
    >Hi. I have an old linux 2.4 box on an Abit BX6r2 (440BX) motherboard, PII-450,
    >UDMA/33. Can I buy a new 500GB or 750GB ATA-100 HD and use the full drive
    >even if the motherboard bios is probably limited to 120 gb (this is what I've
    >read)?

    I think so. You probably have to put the boot partition in the first
    128GB or boot from a different (<128GB) disk, though.

    - anton

  5. Re: Maximum Hard Drive Size on older Motherboard ?

    "John Rhome" wrote in message
    > Hi. I have an old linux 2.4 box on an Abit BX6r2 (440BX) motherboard,

    PII-450,
    > UDMA/33. Can I buy a new 500GB or 750GB ATA-100 HD and use the full drive
    > even if the motherboard bios is probably limited to 120 gb (this is what

    I've
    > read)?
    >
    > I've been web searching, and LBA-48 related comments come up, but I don't

    know
    > if this will be a limit or not. I can't find a definitive answer.

    There are many different hard drive size limitations depending on the
    technology
    being used:

    512M
    2.1G
    8.4G
    33G
    137G
    ???

    If you do get say a 750G which are running around $250 now also
    get a PCI controller card with it, should add less than $40 and you
    will be able to use the whole thing. Make sure the controller and
    the card match P-IDE > P-IDE or SATA > SATA. With SATA,

    HD controller HD disk Speed it will run
    150 150 150
    150 300 150
    300 150 150
    300 300 300

    Current stuff that is available should all be 300 but you can mix
    and match. The pci bus may be the limiting factor and newer
    controller tend to be PCI-e or PCI-x but you should still be able
    to find just the regular PCI SATA and P-IDE ones. There are
    also differing PCI standards so make sure the controller card
    matches with your particular PCI slots.

    later.....

  6. Re: Maximum Hard Drive Size on older Motherboard ?

    "John Rhome" writes:

    > Hi. I have an old linux 2.4 box on an Abit BX6r2 (440BX)
    > motherboard, PII-450, UDMA/33. Can I buy a new 500GB or
    > 750GB ATA-100 HD and use the full drive even if the
    > motherboard bios is probably limited to 120 gb (this is
    > what I've read)?

    I had similar problems, but longer ago, with old Pentium
    machines. I think the MB limitation was 8GB, but my disk
    was much bigger. The MB, whenever tried to find the disk,
    hanged. So I figured out the geometry of the disk (good
    chance it is written on it), and simply reduced the cylinder
    count, so the apparent disk size became less than 8GB. I
    entered this info into the BIOS by hand. The BIOS was now
    happy, and it booted the computer. I placed (IIRC) a small
    partition at the beginning, /boot/, and then the rest was
    everything else. Linux will recognize your disk.

    Important, keep the head/sector count. Change (reduce) only
    the cylinder count.

    > I've been web searching, and LBA-48 related comments come up,
    > but I don't know if this will be a limit or not.

    Brrr. I didn't mess with the LBA. I simply lied to the BIOS
    about the cylinder count, to keep it under its limit, and
    the rest was handled by Linux.

    Vilmos

  7. Re: Maximum Hard Drive Size on older Motherboard ?

    John Rhome wrote:
    > Can I buy a new 500GB or 750GB ATA-100 HD and use the full drive
    > even if the motherboard bios is probably limited to 120 gb (this is what I've
    > read)?

    You probably need to flash the bios to support bigger drives, or install an IDE
    controller card that supports big hard drives.

    I had this issue on some of my machines. On one, I managed to find a hacked
    bios, and upgraded the machine for large disk support. On another, I could not
    find a bios image, so I installed an IDE controller card, and disabled the
    onboard IDE controller support within the BIOS setup. The machine now
    supports big drives.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  8. Re: Maximum Hard Drive Size on older Motherboard ?

    On 2007-07-29, John Rhome wrote:

    > Hi. I have an old linux 2.4 box on an Abit BX6r2 (440BX) motherboard, PII-450,
    > UDMA/33. Can I buy a new 500GB or 750GB ATA-100 HD and use the full drive
    > even if the motherboard bios is probably limited to 120 gb (this is what I've
    > read)?
    >
    > I've been web searching, and LBA-48 related comments come up, but I don't know
    > if this will be a limit or not. I can't find a definitive answer.

    Only the boot drive's size is important.
    If you use such a big drive as you first (only ?) drive, there are
    solutions. But They're usually very messy.

    I have a little old server, a P-II 350 MHz. It has a bios-limit too, 32 GB I
    think. So what I did was:

    Hardware
    - put in a supported, smaller, drive as first HD (I used a 20 GB)
    - put the bigger one, as second drive, tell bios there is no second drive

    Bios
    - set up first drive normally
    - set second HD to 'none' (no drive present)

    Linux install
    - set / and swap on first HD
    (plenty space, I copied my SUSE install DVD on it)
    - set /home on large HD

    The bios will find the first drive and boot correctly from it.
    Linux will find both drives.

    Good luck.

    Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread