usb <--> ide drive adapter? - Hardware

This is a discussion on usb <--> ide drive adapter? - Hardware ; Can anyone recommend a usb/ide adapter similar to: http://tinyurl.com/35d4gt ( that is a newegg link for: CABLES UNLIMITED USB-2100 USB 2.0 to IDE Cable With Power if someone is afraid of tinyurl .. ) That adapter was recognized on my ...

  1. usb <--> ide drive adapter?

    Can anyone recommend a usb/ide adapter similar to:
    http://tinyurl.com/35d4gt
    ( that is a newegg link for:
    CABLES UNLIMITED USB-2100 USB 2.0 to IDE Cable With Power
    if someone is afraid of tinyurl .. )

    That adapter was recognized on my Fedora FC6 system, but it
    could never talk to the hard drive. I have a different type
    of usb/ide adapter that works, but it's from part of a
    external USB 5.25. drive case and I want to mount this
    internally, so I need something that just plugs into the
    back of a 3.5" drive.... like the one pictured... just one
    that works well with linux...

    Does anyone have one that they recommend?

    Actually... I am mounting a 5.25" removable drive tray in my
    linux box but instead of removoable IDE ( that I don't really
    trust ) I want it to be a removable USB type drive. I can do
    that with my external usb drive adapter, but I want to mount
    this setup inside my case.

    Thanks - jack

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  2. Re: usb <--> ide drive adapter?

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:13:13 +0000, Jack Snodgrass wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a usb/ide adapter similar to:
    > http://tinyurl.com/35d4gt
    > ( that is a newegg link for:
    > CABLES UNLIMITED USB-2100 USB 2.0 to IDE Cable With Power
    > if someone is afraid of tinyurl .. )
    >
    > That adapter was recognized on my Fedora FC6 system, but it
    > could never talk to the hard drive. I have a different type
    > of usb/ide adapter that works, but it's from part of a
    > external USB 5.25. drive case and I want to mount this
    > internally, so I need something that just plugs into the
    > back of a 3.5" drive.... like the one pictured... just one
    > that works well with linux...
    >
    > Does anyone have one that they recommend?
    >
    > Actually... I am mounting a 5.25" removable drive tray in my
    > linux box but instead of removoable IDE ( that I don't really
    > trust ) I want it to be a removable USB type drive. I can do
    > that with my external usb drive adapter, but I want to mount
    > this setup inside my case.
    >
    > Thanks - jack

    Byterunner has several that they list
    as working under Linux.

  3. Re: usb <--> ide drive adapter?

    Jack Snodgrass wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a usb/ide adapter similar to:
    > http://tinyurl.com/35d4gt
    > ( that is a newegg link for:
    > CABLES UNLIMITED USB-2100 USB 2.0 to IDE Cable With Power
    > if someone is afraid of tinyurl .. )
    >
    > That adapter was recognized on my Fedora FC6 system, but it
    > could never talk to the hard drive. I have a different type
    > of usb/ide adapter that works, but it's from part of a
    > external USB 5.25. drive case and I want to mount this
    > internally, so I need something that just plugs into the
    > back of a 3.5" drive.... like the one pictured... just one
    > that works well with linux...
    >
    > Does anyone have one that they recommend?
    >
    > Actually... I am mounting a 5.25" removable drive tray in my
    > linux box but instead of removoable IDE ( that I don't really
    > trust ) I want it to be a removable USB type drive. I can do
    > that with my external usb drive adapter, but I want to mount
    > this setup inside my case.
    >
    > Thanks - jack

    I used this one just TODAY... I was reading a 2.5" laptop
    drive (I'm running openSUSE 10.2)... I liked the fact that
    for the laptop drives it can use power from the USB. it
    handles SATA, IDE 3.5" and laptop 2.5" IDE drives. And it
    does come with a power brick for the 3.5" drives.

    I had mine connected to the USB front port (which is usually
    hubbed... which is a good test).

  4. Re: usb <--> ide drive adapter?

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Jack Snodgrass wrote:
    >> Can anyone recommend a usb/ide adapter similar to:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/35d4gt
    >> ( that is a newegg link for:
    >> CABLES UNLIMITED USB-2100 USB 2.0 to IDE Cable With Power
    >> if someone is afraid of tinyurl .. )
    >>
    >> That adapter was recognized on my Fedora FC6 system, but it
    >> could never talk to the hard drive. I have a different type
    >> of usb/ide adapter that works, but it's from part of a
    >> external USB 5.25. drive case and I want to mount this
    >> internally, so I need something that just plugs into the
    >> back of a 3.5" drive.... like the one pictured... just one
    >> that works well with linux...
    >>
    >> Does anyone have one that they recommend?
    >>
    >> Actually... I am mounting a 5.25" removable drive tray in my
    >> linux box but instead of removoable IDE ( that I don't really
    >> trust ) I want it to be a removable USB type drive. I can do
    >> that with my external usb drive adapter, but I want to mount
    >> this setup inside my case.
    >>
    >> Thanks - jack
    >>

    > I used this one just TODAY... I was reading a 2.5" laptop
    > drive (I'm running openSUSE 10.2)... I liked the fact that
    > for the laptop drives it can use power from the USB. it
    > handles SATA, IDE 3.5" and laptop 2.5" IDE drives. And it
    > does come with a power brick for the 3.5" drives.
    >
    > I had mine connected to the USB front port (which is usually
    > hubbed... which is a good test).

    I guess a link would help... this is the one I used:
    http://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-Multif.../dp/B000HZEX1K

+ Reply to Thread