DVD reader access error - Hardware

This is a discussion on DVD reader access error - Hardware ; Hello, I have installed a Ubuntu 7.04 OS on my computer, and have a problem with the DVD drive. It is seen and installed properly - apparently. When I put a CD in the drive, the unit is mounted, and ...

  1. DVD reader access error

    Hello,

    I have installed a Ubuntu 7.04 OS on my computer, and have a problem
    with the DVD drive.
    It is seen and installed properly - apparently. When I put a CD in
    the drive, the unit is mounted, and I can browse the content. But any
    file I try to access is corrupted (I get data access errors).

    This drive performs well under windows, and I made the Ubuntu
    installation from the LiveCD, so it is not a hardware problem, nor an
    error on the CD itself.
    When I boot from the LiveCD, I can access any file with no error. But
    when I boot from the installed OS on the hard drive, the data
    corruption is systematic (even when I try to acces the very same files
    from the LiveCD.

    I tried modifying entries in the FSTAB file, according to some hints
    found here and there on the web (filesystem, charset...) with no
    success.

    For information : I boot from an SATA hard drive. The DVD drive is
    plugged as primary master IDE (I tried secondary master as well).
    What may be strange is that the /dev/cdrom entry points to /dev/scd0
    (instead of /dev/hda as I would have guessed). I tried to make FSTAB
    use /dev/hda but it changes nothing.

    Can someone help me ? I really run out of ideas...

  2. Re: DVD reader access error

    When I boot from the LiveCD and look at the "Hardware information"
    data, the DVD drive is seen as an IDE device.
    When I boot from the hard drive, it is listed as SCSI device.

    From what I understand, this is because my drive is a CD burner, and
    then must use "SCSI emulation" or something like that. Since the
    LiveCD can access the CD, is it possible that this SCSI emulation
    makes the CD unreadable ? If so : how can I deactivate it ?

  3. Re: DVD reader access error

    When I boot from the LiveCD and look at the "Hardware information"
    data, the DVD drive is seen as an IDE device.
    When I boot from the hard drive, it is listed as SCSI device.

    From what I understand, this is because my drive is a CD burner, and
    then must use "SCSI emulation" or something like that. Since the
    LiveCD can access the CD, is it possible that this SCSI emulation
    makes the CD unreadable ? If so : how can I deactivate it ?

+ Reply to Thread