Re: Windows XP optimization tricks - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: Windows XP optimization tricks - Hardware ; travolta006@gmail.com wrote: > Windows XP tips and tricks. Learn how to bypass very common windows > problems, to speed up your system and make it more reliable with > useful tips and tricks. > > http://windowsxpsp2pro.blogspot.com > The only key ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 83

  1. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    travolta006@gmail.com wrote:
    > Windows XP tips and tricks. Learn how to bypass very common windows
    > problems, to speed up your system and make it more reliable with
    > useful tips and tricks.
    >
    > http://windowsxpsp2pro.blogspot.com

    The only key strokes necessary are "Windows key + the e key"!

    That is the flaw that will never be corrected.

    Only one of the 350,000 problems which plague Microsoft in each and
    every Operating System they produced.

    Now, Linux doesn't have such fatal problems, because flaws are reported
    and fixed promptly.

    Mepis is only one of the varied FOSS systems that is enjoyed in my
    neighborhood and local schools. Even First Grade students can set it up
    , on every hardware platform that is "Pentium Class", in minutes!
    http://www.mepis.org works on pentium Class systems of 300 Mhz PII to
    the latest 64 bit Opterons.

  2. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:40:47 -0400, Oldtech wrote:

    > Now, Linux doesn't have such fatal problems, because flaws are reported
    > and fixed promptly.

    Fixed promptly? Take alook at this critical Ubuntu bug from 2004 which
    still hasn't been fixed!

    gr,
    maxx
    :wq!

  3. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    "maxx" wrote in message
    news:46a8978e$0$13099$e4fe514c@dreader25.news.xs4a ll.nl...
    > On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:40:47 -0400, Oldtech wrote:
    >
    >> Now, Linux doesn't have such fatal problems, because flaws are reported
    >> and fixed promptly.

    > Fixed promptly? Take alook at this critical Ubuntu bug from 2004 which
    > still hasn't been fixed!
    >
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

    Didn't you know that Linux has 0.7% of the worldwide desktop market? 0.7%!!
    And that's after it doubling in the last 18 months.

    ss.

  4. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    "Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message
    > "maxx" wrote in message
    > news:46a8978e$0$13099$e4fe514c@dreader25.news.xs4a ll.nl...
    >> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:40:47 -0400, Oldtech wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now, Linux doesn't have such fatal problems, because flaws are reported
    >>> and fixed promptly.

    >> Fixed promptly? Take alook at this critical Ubuntu bug from 2004 which
    >> still hasn't been fixed!
    >>
    >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

    > Didn't you know that Linux has 0.7% of the worldwide desktop market? 0.7%!! And that's after it
    > doubling in the last 18 months.

    OS X beat Linux years ago. Why?
    They fixed the serious usability flaws of UNIX, ignored the free software politics, etc.

  5. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    > "maxx" wrote in message
    > news:46a8978e$0$13099$e4fe514c@dreader25.news.xs4a ll.nl...
    >> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:40:47 -0400, Oldtech wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now, Linux doesn't have such fatal problems, because flaws are reported
    >>> and fixed promptly.

    >> Fixed promptly? Take alook at this critical Ubuntu bug from 2004 which
    >> still hasn't been fixed!
    >>
    >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

    > Didn't you know that Linux has 0.7% of the worldwide desktop market?
    > 0.7%!! And that's after it doubling in the last 18 months.
    >
    > ss.

    The fix is to invoke your Windows rights.

    Here's how:

    while holding down the WINDOWS key press the 'e' key.

    Then, the vote can be registered.

  6. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:11:49 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    wrote:

    >OS X beat Linux years ago.

    Oh yeah, there's a winning horse to back!

  7. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    Oldtech wrote:
    > The fix is to invoke your Windows rights.
    >
    > Here's how:
    >
    > while holding down the WINDOWS key press the 'e' key.
    >
    > Then, the vote can be registered.

    You can stop that
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301422

    --
    Trev
    '95 900SS

  8. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    still me wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:11:49 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> OS X beat Linux years ago.

    > Oh yeah, there's a winning horse to back!

    OS X and Windows series of OS are the only viable home user operating
    systems.

    Gaz

  9. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    Gaz wrote:

    > OS X and Windows series of OS are the only viable home user operating
    > systems.
    >
    > Gaz

    I'm at home, and I'm using a computer. I gradually switched to Linux three
    years ago. In what way is it not viable?

    Chris

    --
    Remove prejudice to reply.

  10. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Gaz wrote:
    > still me wrote:
    >> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:11:49 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> OS X beat Linux years ago.

    >> Oh yeah, there's a winning horse to back!

    > OS X and Windows series of OS are the only viable home user operating
    > systems.

    The right Linux distro (e.g. Ubuntu) is much more viable today
    than everything MS offers. True, there is a bit of a learning
    curve, but there is with Vista (e.g.) as well. And unlike Windows,
    what you learn with Linux stays valid for decades. No need to
    re-learn everything every few years.

    There are however people that are so afraid to try something
    (seemingly) new, that they will prefer being screwed over by
    the same monopolist over and over again....

    Arno

  11. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    In article <5gtu53F30ebl3U1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner says...

    > The right Linux distro (e.g. Ubuntu) is much more viable today
    > than everything MS offers.

    It isn't. Shall we start with Wifi?

    > True, there is a bit of a learning
    > curve, but there is with Vista (e.g.) as well. And unlike Windows,
    > what you learn with Linux stays valid for decades. No need to
    > re-learn everything every few years.

    No need to relearn everything with Windows. Windows didn't become what
    it is today by making massive changes.

    --
    Conor

    It arrived at their repair center last week so only another month or so
    to wait

  12. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    On Jul 26, 4:43 pm, "Synapse Syndrome"
    wrote:

    > Didn't you know that Linux has 0.7% of the worldwide desktop market? 0.7%!!
    > And that's after it doubling in the last 18 months.

    Do you have a source for that?

    I found this http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2005/08/04/market, which
    suggests 2.8% of desktop and 28.3% of server market.

  13. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    On Jul 27, 11:53 am, Conor wrote:

    > No need to relearn everything with Windows. Windows didn't become what
    > it is today by making massive changes.

    What??? I'll have a pint of what you had.

  14. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Conor wrote:
    > In article <5gtu53F30ebl3U1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner says...

    >> The right Linux distro (e.g. Ubuntu) is much more viable today
    >> than everything MS offers.

    > It isn't. Shall we start with Wifi?

    >> True, there is a bit of a learning
    >> curve, but there is with Vista (e.g.) as well. And unlike Windows,
    >> what you learn with Linux stays valid for decades. No need to
    >> re-learn everything every few years.
    >>

    > No need to relearn everything with Windows. Windows didn't become what
    > it is today by making massive changes.

    Well, as long as you stay on the surface. true. As soon as you
    have a problem or want a bit more, not true anymore.

    Arno

  15. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Trevor Best wrote:
    > On Jul 26, 4:43 pm, "Synapse Syndrome"
    > wrote:

    >> Didn't you know that Linux has 0.7% of the worldwide desktop market? 0.7%!!
    >> And that's after it doubling in the last 18 months.

    > Do you have a source for that?

    > I found this http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2005/08/04/market, which
    > suggests 2.8% of desktop and 28.3% of server market.

    And these figures are likely too low, as not every copy of Linux is sold.
    In addition the estimates how long a machine stays in use are vastly
    different for Linux and Windows, with Linux running well on older
    hardware.

    Arno

  16. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    In article <1185534486.737209.39340@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.co m>,
    Trevor Best says...
    > On Jul 27, 11:53 am, Conor wrote:
    >
    > > No need to relearn everything with Windows. Windows didn't become what
    > > it is today by making massive changes.
    > >

    > What??? I'll have a pint of what you had.

    Been using Windows for 17 years so I think I know what I'm on about.

    --
    Conor

    It arrived at their repair center last week so only another month or so
    to wait

  17. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    In article <5gu5c7F3i427kU1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner says...
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Conor wrote:
    > > In article <5gtu53F30ebl3U1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner says...

    > >> The right Linux distro (e.g. Ubuntu) is much more viable today
    > >> than everything MS offers.

    > > It isn't. Shall we start with Wifi?

    > >> True, there is a bit of a learning
    > >> curve, but there is with Vista (e.g.) as well. And unlike Windows,
    > >> what you learn with Linux stays valid for decades. No need to
    > >> re-learn everything every few years.
    > >>

    > > No need to relearn everything with Windows. Windows didn't become what
    > > it is today by making massive changes.

    > Well, as long as you stay on the surface. true. As soon as you
    > have a problem or want a bit more, not true anymore.

    Vista is the first change for a long time but a lot of what there is
    underneath can be recognised as being in XP. Likewise XP is basically
    Win2k.

    Win95 was a significant change and Win2k was. Aside from those two
    OSes, everything else is much of a muchness just with different icons.

    --
    Conor

    It arrived at their repair center last week so only another month or so
    to wait

  18. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:30:17 +0100, Conor wrote:

    > Been using Windows for 17 years so I think I know what I'm on about.

    The number of years doesn't tell me anything. You might have been using
    Windows simply for wordprocessing for 17 years. That makes you a
    wordprocessing expert. Not a Windows expert...

    gr,
    maxx

  19. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Conor wrote:
    > In article <5gu5c7F3i427kU1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner says...
    >> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Conor wrote:
    >> > In article <5gtu53F30ebl3U1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner says...

    >> > It isn't. Shall we start with Wifi?

    >> > No need to relearn everything with Windows. Windows didn't become what
    >> > it is today by making massive changes.

    >> Well, as long as you stay on the surface. true. As soon as you
    >> have a problem or want a bit more, not true anymore.
    >>

    > Vista is the first change for a long time but a lot of what there is
    > underneath can be recognised as being in XP. Likewise XP is basically
    > Win2k.

    > Win95 was a significant change and Win2k was. Aside from those two
    > OSes, everything else is much of a muchness just with different icons.

    Havin upgraded from 98 to ME a long time ago, I can say that this is
    untrue. ME was basically an improved 98. Or supposed to be. However
    they changed enough, that troubleshooting became impossible. I have
    been using Linux since 1994 and never had this kind of issue.

    Arno

  20. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    In article <5gu9bkF3h5c2pU1@mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner says...
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Conor wrote:

    > >> Well, as long as you stay on the surface. true. As soon as you
    > >> have a problem or want a bit more, not true anymore.
    > >>

    > > Vista is the first change for a long time but a lot of what there is
    > > underneath can be recognised as being in XP. Likewise XP is basically
    > > Win2k.

    > > Win95 was a significant change and Win2k was. Aside from those two
    > > OSes, everything else is much of a muchness just with different icons.

    > Havin upgraded from 98 to ME a long time ago, I can say that this is
    > untrue. ME was basically an improved 98. Or supposed to be. However
    > they changed enough, that troubleshooting became impossible. I have
    > been using Linux since 1994 and never had this kind of issue.

    You've been using Linux since 1994? Riight.