Re: Windows XP optimization tricks - Hardware

This is a discussion on Re: Windows XP optimization tricks - Hardware ; In article , Daniel James wrote: > As you said: MS used to have a continuous income stream as they brought out > new versions and charged for the upgrade, but now that Windows changes less > and less between ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 83 of 83

  1. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    In article , Daniel James wrote:
    > As you said: MS used to have a continuous income stream as they brought out
    > new versions and charged for the upgrade, but now that Windows changes less
    > and less between versions fewer and fewer people are bothering to upgrade.

    We finally had a client asking if our in-house software was Vista
    compatible. First one (out of around 50 distinct, globally-distributed
    clients) to even make a hint of thinking about moving to XP. On previous
    experience with them, that means that they'll start the roll-out in
    mid-to-late-2008, replacing their existing Win2K environment.
    One think you know if you're doing a site visit there and you are
    looking at an XP machine : if it's physically connected to the network, the
    network is ignoring it and routing it's packets to /dev/null .

    --
    Aidan Karley
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  2. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    In article , Conor
    wrote:
    > > they changed enough, that troubleshooting became impossible. I have
    > > been using Linux since 1994 and never had this kind of issue.
    > >

    > You've been using Linux since 1994? Riight.

    That's about when I started with Linuxes. I'd been seriously
    considering shelling out for a personal copy of (I think) SCO Unix when
    I heard of this thing coming out of Finland.
    I think my first install was a very early Slackware.

    --
    Aidan Karley
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  3. Re: Windows XP optimization tricks

    In article , Daniel James wrote:
    > > Firewire was in 2K, SATA is supported by the 2K IDE driver.

    > Excellent ... so XP was a completely pointless upgrade too.

    Reference my point earlier (ooops, I haven't b-linked yet!)
    about the major client who haven't upgraded their enterprise-wide
    system from Win2k to XP. (And who have evidently been having problems
    for the last year or so in sourcing machines with Win2k for them to
    apply their patches to. Also possibly some failures to get Win2K
    drivers for ancillary hardware like EXd-certified cameras and recent
    printers.)

    --
    Aidan Karley
    Aberdeen, Scotland