WEP vs. WPA? - Hardware

This is a discussion on WEP vs. WPA? - Hardware ; I have been struggling to understand what the requirements are to have a WPA-enabled wireless connection. Is the WPA functionality entirely implemented in software? I looked at the specs for the Netgear WG511T and in the specs, it clearly states ...

  1. WEP vs. WPA?

    I have been struggling to understand what the requirements are to have a
    WPA-enabled wireless connection.

    Is the WPA functionality entirely implemented in software? I looked at the
    specs for the Netgear WG511T and in the specs, it clearly states that it
    supports WEP encryption, but no mention of WPA, yet elsewhere I see
    references to this PC-Card supporting WPA (depending on the driver, I
    think)?

    So, if I use this (or another supported card), is is sufficient to get
    wpa_supplicant installed and working to have support for WPA?

  2. Re: WEP vs. WPA?

    Whoever wrote:
    > I have been struggling to understand what the requirements are to have a
    > WPA-enabled wireless connection.
    >
    > Is the WPA functionality entirely implemented in software? I looked at
    > the specs for the Netgear WG511T and in the specs, it clearly states
    > that it supports WEP encryption, but no mention of WPA, yet elsewhere I
    > see references to this PC-Card supporting WPA (depending on the driver,
    > I think)?
    >
    > So, if I use this (or another supported card), is is sufficient to get
    > wpa_supplicant installed and working to have support for WPA?

    No. WPA needs to be supported by the hardware. From the netgear site
    your card only supports WEP so you're stuck with WEP

  3. Re: WEP vs. WPA?

    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Chris wrote:

    > Whoever wrote:
    >> I have been struggling to understand what the requirements are to have a
    >> WPA-enabled wireless connection.
    >>
    >> Is the WPA functionality entirely implemented in software? I looked at the
    >> specs for the Netgear WG511T and in the specs, it clearly states that it
    >> supports WEP encryption, but no mention of WPA, yet elsewhere I see
    >> references to this PC-Card supporting WPA (depending on the driver, I
    >> think)?
    >>
    >> So, if I use this (or another supported card), is is sufficient to get
    >> wpa_supplicant installed and working to have support for WPA?

    > No. WPA needs to be supported by the hardware. From the netgear site your
    > card only supports WEP so you're stuck with WEP

    Here is why I am confused. Check this link:
    http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_ne...ard_wg511t.php

    and this one:
    http://www.spikelab.org/blog/WPA2NetgearWG511T.html
    and this one:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t574384.html

    All of these state that this card supports WPA.

  4. Re: WEP vs. WPA?

    Whoever wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Chris wrote:
    >> Whoever wrote:
    >>> I have been struggling to understand what the requirements are to have a
    >>> WPA-enabled wireless connection.
    >>>
    >>> Is the WPA functionality entirely implemented in software? I looked at the
    >>> specs for the Netgear WG511T and in the specs, it clearly states that it
    >>> supports WEP encryption, but no mention of WPA, yet elsewhere I see
    >>> references to this PC-Card supporting WPA (depending on the driver, I
    >>> think)?
    >>>
    >>> So, if I use this (or another supported card), is is sufficient to get
    >>> wpa_supplicant installed and working to have support for WPA?

    >> No. WPA needs to be supported by the hardware. From the netgear site your
    >> card only supports WEP so you're stuck with WEP

    > Here is why I am confused. Check this link:
    > http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_ne...ard_wg511t.php
    >
    > and this one:
    > http://www.spikelab.org/blog/WPA2NetgearWG511T.html
    > and this one:
    > http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t574384.html
    >
    > All of these state that this card supports WPA.

    It works fine for me via madwifi and wpa_supplicant. If you look
    on http://netgear.com/ under Support / Downloads you'll see that
    some of the early Windows driver updates added WPA capabilities
    (not that it matters for Linux, of course, but it confirms that
    the card will handle WPA..).

    --
    Bill Brelsford
    k2di7@att.net

  5. Re: WEP vs. WPA?

    Whoever wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Chris wrote:
    >
    >> Whoever wrote:
    >>> I have been struggling to understand what the requirements are to
    >>> have a
    >>> WPA-enabled wireless connection.
    >>>
    >>> Is the WPA functionality entirely implemented in software? I looked
    >>> at the
    >>> specs for the Netgear WG511T and in the specs, it clearly states
    >>> that it
    >>> supports WEP encryption, but no mention of WPA, yet elsewhere I see
    >>> references to this PC-Card supporting WPA (depending on the driver, I
    >>> think)?
    >>>
    >>> So, if I use this (or another supported card), is is sufficient to get
    >>> wpa_supplicant installed and working to have support for WPA?

    >> No. WPA needs to be supported by the hardware. From the netgear site
    >> your card only supports WEP so you're stuck with WEP

    > Here is why I am confused. Check this link:
    > http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_ne...ard_wg511t.php

    If you look on the 'Safe & Secure' bit on this page it states:
    "NETGEAR’s WG511T provides both WEP and WPA-PSK (WPA-PSK available via
    firmware upgrade) wireless encryption standards..."

    So, orignally your card didn't support WPA, but with the firmware
    upgrade it now does

    The bad news is that you need Win2K or XP to upgrade your firmware
    (unless there's a hack out there)
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102803.asp

+ Reply to Thread