how to put together an AMD Geode LX based thin client - Hardware

This is a discussion on how to put together an AMD Geode LX based thin client - Hardware ; Hi, I want to develop a thin client solution using the AMD Geode LX 800 processor, the AMD website is quite informative about their processor and the south bridge CS5536, but i can't figure how to build a complete system. ...

  1. how to put together an AMD Geode LX based thin client

    Hi,

    I want to develop a thin client solution using the AMD Geode LX 800
    processor, the AMD website is quite informative about their processor
    and the south bridge CS5536, but i can't figure how to build a
    complete system.

    here are my requirements -
    Geode LX 800
    128 MB Ram
    10/100 Mbps LAN
    no IDE, SATA , Flash etc . needed (since we will boot from the
    network)
    VGA port for monitor
    PS2 for keyb, mouse
    USB port
    on board sound device , for plugging speakers and mic

    thats it !
    as for BIOS linuxbios is supposed to have good support for this
    processor, AMD has also commited several patches to the kernel for
    this processor. This device will boot Linux from a remote server so it
    does not need any storage device.

    I searched a lot on google on boards for this processor, but could
    find relevant boards for my spec.
    Also the boards I managed to find were rather expensive ? why is this
    so ?

    Can I solder my custom device given all the ICs ? would it be
    feasible ?

    Deepak
    xask.linus

  2. Re: how to put together an AMD Geode LX based thin client

    xask writes:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I want to develop a thin client solution using the AMD Geode LX 800
    >processor, the AMD website is quite informative about their processor
    >and the south bridge CS5536, but i can't figure how to build a
    >complete system.

    >I searched a lot on google on boards for this processor, but could
    >find relevant boards for my spec.
    >Also the boards I managed to find were rather expensive ? why is this
    >so ?

    The target market for this CPU is embedded systems, so the idea is
    that the customer designs a board for their need and uses that. The
    boards you can buy are evaluation boards, and these tend to be
    somewhat expensive because of the low volume.

    You might be interested in some VIA C7-based board like the MSI Fuzzy
    CN700T, which should do everything you want (it reportedly has low
    signal quality on the VGA port; it does have a DVI port, however); the
    graphics of this port should be supported by the Unichrome X driver
    and (unaccelerated) the vesa
    driver.

    >Can I solder my custom device given all the ICs ? would it be
    >feasible ?

    You also need a circuit board to solder the ICs on, and you need to
    program the BIOS flash chip. If you need to ask, it's probably not
    feasible for you.

    - anton

  3. Re: how to put together an AMD Geode LX based thin client

    xask:
    > here are my requirements -
    > Geode LX 800
    > 128 MB Ram
    > 10/100 Mbps LAN
    > no IDE, SATA , Flash etc . needed (since we will boot from the
    > network)
    > VGA port for monitor
    > PS2 for keyb, mouse
    > USB port
    > on board sound device , for plugging speakers and mic

    There are already some thin clients out there that match these specs,
    with the possible exception of the PS2 ports. Is there some
    particular reason you want to build your own?

    Just a random few that I remember from recent news items:

    --
    Charles Allen

  4. Re: how to put together an AMD Geode LX based thin client

    V Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:28:10 +0000, Charles Allen napsal(a):

    > xask:
    >> here are my requirements -
    >> Geode LX 800
    >> 128 MB Ram
    >> 10/100 Mbps LAN
    >> no IDE, SATA , Flash etc . needed (since we will boot from the
    >> network)
    >> VGA port for monitor
    >> PS2 for keyb, mouse
    >> USB port
    >> on board sound device , for plugging speakers and mic

    > There are already some thin clients out there that match these specs,
    > with the possible exception of the PS2 ports. Is there some
    > particular reason you want to build your own?
    >
    > Just a random few that I remember from recent news items:

    ltsp.org (or k12ltsp.org?) at one time was selling very cheap, very nice
    thin clients. Maybe they still are...

    --Yan

  5. Re: how to put together an AMD Geode LX based thin client

    On Jul 23, 7:10 pm, Captain Dondo wrote:
    > V Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:28:10 +0000, Charles Allen napsal(a):
    >

    > > xask:
    > >> here are my requirements -
    > >> Geode LX 800
    > >> 128 MB Ram
    > >> 10/100 Mbps LAN
    > >> no IDE, SATA , Flash etc . needed (since we will boot from the
    > >> network)
    > >> VGA port for monitor
    > >> PS2 for keyb, mouse
    > >> USB port
    > >> on board sound device , for plugging speakers and mic

    > > There are already some thin clients out there that match these specs,
    > > with the possible exception of the PS2 ports. Is there some
    > > particular reason you want to build your own?

    > > Just a random few that I remember from recent news items:

    > ltsp.org (or k12ltsp.org?) at one time was selling very cheap, very nice
    > thin clients. Maybe they still are...
    >
    > --Yan

    Thanks people !
    I followed some links, even reached an Israeli manufacturer which
    manufactures mother boards for embedded. I got exactly what I need.
    I found a lot of other solutions too to match my needs, but I think
    they are simply very overpriced. Making a system from scratch would
    really cost less.

    I am confused, I got to know of Linutop which sells a simple Geode LX
    based thin client for 280 Euro, thats around $ 380, I genuinely think
    it is overpriced.
    At the ltsp official support link, they sell thin clients at 200-300
    $ , I dont think it is justified when all I want is a simple client
    which is going to netwok boot.
    Much more powerful full featured desktops , including monitor, keyb
    etc. are available for around $ 350 , aren't they more cost effective
    afterall they have all the features of these thin clients + much more
    powerfull processor, GPU etc.

    A thin client with only basic functionality like a low power Geode 533
    Mhz proc, no storage should definetly cost less, otherwise it has no
    effective advantage.

  6. Re: how to put together an AMD Geode LX based thin client

    xask wrote:

    > I am confused, I got to know of Linutop which sells a simple Geode LX
    > based thin client for 280 Euro, thats around $ 380, I genuinely think
    > it is overpriced.
    > At the ltsp official support link, they sell thin clients at 200-300
    > $ , I dont think it is justified when all I want is a simple client
    > which is going to netwok boot.
    > Much more powerful full featured desktops , including monitor, keyb
    > etc. are available for around $ 350 , aren't they more cost effective
    > afterall they have all the features of these thin clients + much more
    > powerfull processor, GPU etc.
    >
    > A thin client with only basic functionality like a low power Geode 533
    > Mhz proc, no storage should definetly cost less, otherwise it has no
    > effective advantage.

    It's all about quantity, quantity, and quantity.

    Those cheap PCs are stamped out by the hundreds of thousands, if not
    millions. Last I heard, Dell would buy an entire production run from a
    manufacturer. With quantities like that, you get good prices.

    Figure that the thin clients folks make hundreds or thousands, not tens
    of thousands, so they pay more.

    The real savings in thin clients is admin costs, physical security,
    power costs, space, and maintenance.

    Also, at $200 or $300 you're pretty much reaching commodity pricing;
    it's not likely that anyone can sell anything that complex for much less.

    --Yan

  7. Re: how to put together an AMD Geode LX based thin client

    In article <1185259556.886733.277920@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups. com>,
    xask wrote:
    >I am confused, I got to know of Linutop which sells a simple Geode LX
    >based thin client for 280 Euro, thats around $ 380, I genuinely think
    >it is overpriced.

    No doubt about that...a few minutes' browsing parts & prices at Newegg
    yielded this:

    VIA EPIA-ME6000G Mini-ITX motherboard $153
    Kingston ValueRAM 256MB DDR266 $16
    Linkworld 617-C.88-P4 MicroATX case w/ 250W P/S $28
    total $197

    That's all the hardware you would have in a thin client, with a faster
    processor and room to make a real PC out of it at some point. (The case is
    still fairly small...a Mini-ITX case would be smaller still, but those start
    at about $80.)

    Hell, since we're using a MicroATX case, let's see if we can do better with
    a separate motherboard and processor:

    MSI PM8M3-V Socket 775 MicroATX motherboard $43
    Intel Celeron D 331 (2.66 GHz, Socket 775) $43
    Corsair ValueSelect 256MB DDR400 $16
    Linkworld 617-C.88-P4 MicroATX case w/ 250W P/S $28
    total $130

    Absolute bottom of the barrel as far as modern PC specs go, but it stomps a
    mud hole in any purpose-built thin client. It should be a fair bit faster
    than the aforementioned EPIA-based config, too.

    With no local storage or other add-ons, assembly should go fairly quickly
    for either of these.

    With a bit more shopping around, you could probably shave a few more dollars
    off of these prices...like I said, it was a few minutes' work at one
    website. (The usual disclaimer applies: I'm not affiliated with any of the
    above yada yada yada...)

    _/_
    (IIGS( http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
    \_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

+ Reply to Thread