USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie - Hardware

This is a discussion on USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie - Hardware ; After a Win XP system error that left my laptop unbootable, I am trying to use a bootable version of Linux to access my files to copy to an external USB drive. I have created bootable CDs for Slack and ...

  1. USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie

    After a Win XP system error that left my laptop unbootable, I am trying to
    use a bootable version of Linux to access my files to copy to an external
    USB drive. I have created bootable CDs for Slack and Archie so far and
    neither grants me permission to write files to the USB drive. Slack found
    the drive okay but would not allow me to write. In fact I could not even
    copy between partitions on the same drive. I opened the drive properties and
    set the permissions to read and write before receiving an error message
    stating that I could not change permissions. This is after logging on using
    the "root" username and "toor" password as specified during the boot. Using
    Archie, I could not get it to find my USB drive.

    I'd be grateful if someone could help me with writing files. I have found
    Slack slightly easier to use than Archie, so help with that OS version would
    be great. Alternatively, is another Linux version would be better, please
    suggest. I've been trying to keep the download small as I have a slow
    connection.

    BTW, from another newsgroup I have learned that the error I have is
    unrecoverable and will need a fresh install. That's okay but I do need to
    same a few important files first.

    Many thanks.

  2. Re: USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie

    It is not FAT. Any other clues?

    "Bill Marcum" wrote in message
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:15:16 +1000, pbl
    > wrote:
    >>

    >> After a Win XP system error that left my laptop unbootable, I am trying
    >> use a bootable version of Linux to access my files to copy to an external
    >> USB drive. I have created bootable CDs for Slack and Archie so far and
    >> neither grants me permission to write files to the USB drive. Slack found
    >> the drive okay but would not allow me to write. In fact I could not even
    >> copy between partitions on the same drive. I opened the drive properties
    >> and
    >> set the permissions to read and write before receiving an error message
    >> stating that I could not change permissions. This is after logging on
    >> using
    >> the "root" username and "toor" password as specified during the boot.
    >> Using
    >> Archie, I could not get it to find my USB drive.
    >>

    > If the USB drive is formatted with FAT, you should mount it with the
    > umask=0 option.
    >

    > --
    > I can live without
    > Someone I love
    > But not without
    > Someone I need. -- "Safety"

  3. Re: USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie

    pbl wrote:
    > It is not FAT. Any other clues?

    What is it? NTFS?

    > "Bill Marcum" wrote in message
    >
    >>["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    >>On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:15:16 +1000, pbl
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>After a Win XP system error that left my laptop unbootable, I am trying
    >>>use a bootable version of Linux to access my files to copy to an external
    >>>USB drive. I have created bootable CDs for Slack and Archie so far and
    >>>neither grants me permission to write files to the USB drive. Slack found
    >>>the drive okay but would not allow me to write. In fact I could not even
    >>>copy between partitions on the same drive. I opened the drive properties
    >>>and
    >>>set the permissions to read and write before receiving an error message
    >>>stating that I could not change permissions. This is after logging on
    >>>using
    >>>the "root" username and "toor" password as specified during the boot.
    >>>Using
    >>>Archie, I could not get it to find my USB drive.
    >>>

    >>If the USB drive is formatted with FAT, you should mount it with the
    >>umask=0 option.

  4. Re: USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie

    Yes, NTFS 320 GB.

    I have since tried booting with PCLinuxOS. Everything appears to work fine
    except I cannot write files to either my internal drive or the USB drive.
    When I try I get the permissions error again. When I try to change the
    permissions for the drive I get a cannot change permissions error. This is
    the same for 3 bootable versions of Linux I have used. I know both of my
    drives are working fin but I'm beginning to think they may be somehow locked
    by Windows XP.

    This is very frrustrating. Any other ideas?

    "Trygve Selmer" wrote in message
    > pbl wrote:
    >> It is not FAT. Any other clues?

    > What is it? NTFS?
    >
    >> "Bill Marcum" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]

    >>>If the USB drive is formatted with FAT, you should mount it with the
    >>>umask=0 option.

  5. Re: USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie

    pbl wrote:
    > Yes, NTFS 320 GB.
    >
    > I have since tried booting with PCLinuxOS. Everything appears to work fine
    > except I cannot write files to either my internal drive or the USB drive.
    > When I try I get the permissions error again. When I try to change the
    > permissions for the drive I get a cannot change permissions error. This is
    > the same for 3 bootable versions of Linux I have used. I know both of my
    > drives are working fin but I'm beginning to think they may be somehow locked
    > by Windows XP.
    >
    > This is very frrustrating. Any other ideas?

    Please do not top post.

    Normally Linux cannot write to NTFS. There is a new Linux driver for
    NTFS supporting writing, but since I dont use NTFS myself I dont know
    which distros include it.

    You may create a FAT32 partition on your drive and use that for your
    backup.

    > "Trygve Selmer" wrote in message
    >
    >>pbl wrote:
    >>
    >>>It is not FAT. Any other clues?

    >>What is it? NTFS?

  6. Re: USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie

    Top-posting is very bad form, dude. Please post your new message below what
    you are replying to.

    On 2007-07-24, pbl rambled on thusly:

    > permissions for the drive I get a cannot change permissions error. This is
    > the same for 3 bootable versions of Linux I have used. I know both of my
    > drives are working fin but I'm beginning to think they may be somehow locked
    > by Windows XP.

    It's not locked by Windows XP, it is simply that Linux by default cannot
    write to NTFS partitions. You will need to install the fuse and ntfs3g
    packages for your OS. Unfortunately, since you are using PCLinuxOS, I can't
    help you with that. In Ubuntu, you'd be a short "apt-get install ntfs3g"
    away from getting that to work.

    --
    Michael Fierro (aka Biffster) biffster@NOSPAM-REALLYgmail.com
    http://apt-get.us Y!: miguelito_fierro AIM: mfierro1

  7. Re: USB HDD Write Permissions - Slack and Archie

    pbl wrote:

    > After a Win XP system error that left my laptop unbootable, I am trying to
    > use a bootable version of Linux to access my files to copy to an external
    > USB drive. I have created bootable CDs for Slack and Archie so far and
    > neither grants me permission to write files to the USB drive. Slack found
    > the drive okay but would not allow me to write. In fact I could not even
    > copy between partitions on the same drive. I opened the drive properties
    > and set the permissions to read and write before receiving an error
    > message stating that I could not change permissions. This is after logging
    > on using the "root" username and "toor" password as specified during the
    > boot. Using Archie, I could not get it to find my USB drive.
    >
    > I'd be grateful if someone could help me with writing files. I have found
    > Slack slightly easier to use than Archie, so help with that OS version
    > would be great. Alternatively, is another Linux version would be better,
    > please suggest. I've been trying to keep the download small as I have a
    > slow connection.
    >
    > BTW, from another newsgroup I have learned that the error I have is
    > unrecoverable and will need a fresh install. That's okay but I do need to
    > same a few important files first.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    In your position i would use sysrescuecd. If it can access the drives it
    has a chance of recovering the MBR, the partition table, and boot modules
    like lilo and grub. Using either it or Knoppix (DVD) i have recovered from
    problems like this and worse.
    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

+ Reply to Thread