NetGear WAG511 Most Linux Friendly PCMCIA Wireless Card - Hardware

This is a discussion on NetGear WAG511 Most Linux Friendly PCMCIA Wireless Card - Hardware ; I recently returned from a journey on the web, looking for linux friendly pcmcia cards, in anticipation of a new desktop I am assembling. You see, wireless is my main path to the internet. It was a lesson in frustration, ...

  1. NetGear WAG511 Most Linux Friendly PCMCIA Wireless Card

    I recently returned from a journey on the web, looking for linux friendly
    pcmcia cards, in anticipation of a new desktop I am assembling. You see,
    wireless is my main path to the internet. It was a lesson in frustration, as
    card after card on the Ubuntu list was either not available anymore or had
    issues. I came upon the WAG511, and surprise, it is almost universally
    acclaimed as a great card for Linux, and for all distros, and that works out
    of the box. Finally! It's also currently being marketed, and is available
    everywhere. It's not cheap, 60-70 dollars.

    While I'm on this topic, may I just ask: why doesn't the LInux community
    form a partnership with a company to develop wireless accessories and
    drivers that are supported on all distros? Seems like it would be a license
    to print money for any co. that would become involved. I know that I am not
    the only person to be confronted with a brick wall when it comes to wireless
    compatibility. It would seem there is pent up demand for such a card.
    While I have used wireless successfully, the path to it is
    often one of trial and error. The day of the universal Linux wireless card
    should by now be upon us, don't you think?

    *R* *H*

    --
    Tim and I a hunting went
    We found three damsels in a tent,

  2. Re: NetGear WAG511 Most Linux Friendly PCMCIA Wireless Card

    Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

    > I recently returned from a journey on the web, looking for linux friendly
    > pcmcia cards, in anticipation of a new desktop I am assembling. You see,
    > wireless is my main path to the internet. It was a lesson in frustration,
    > as card after card on the Ubuntu list was either not available anymore or
    > had issues. I came upon the WAG511, and surprise, it is almost universally
    > acclaimed as a great card for Linux, and for all distros, and that works
    > out
    > of the box. Finally! It's also currently being marketed, and is available
    > everywhere. It's not cheap, 60-70 dollars.

    Seek it out on E-Bay. I just bought one the other day for under $20 for a
    client. My last one before that was about $25, IIRC, both prices including
    shipping.

    > While I'm on this topic, may I just ask: why doesn't the LInux community
    > form a partnership with a company to develop wireless accessories and
    > drivers that are supported on all distros? Seems like it would be a
    > license
    > to print money for any co. that would become involved. I know that I am
    > not the only person to be confronted with a brick wall when it comes to
    > wireless compatibility. It would seem there is pent up demand for such a
    > card. While I have used wireless successfully, the path to it is
    > often one of trial and error. The day of the universal Linux wireless card
    > should by now be upon us, don't you think?

    Who is the Linux community? Which company is interested? Who organizes it?

    I wish more people would just start buying the cards that are compatible,
    and stop giving money to the companies that ignore Linux. That is about
    the best we can do to get them to start developing drivers for their
    products that work under Linux...

  3. Re: NetGear WAG511 Most Linux Friendly PCMCIA Wireless Card

    On 2007-07-22, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

    > issues. I came upon the WAG511, and surprise, it is almost universally
    > acclaimed as a great card for Linux....

    Netgear has pretty much always been linux compatible as far back as I
    can remember (which ain't long! . All my routers, NICs, etc, have
    always been Netgear and I've yet to run into problems. They do
    produce a stinker now and then, but it's usually a hardware prob, not
    a linux compatibility problem.

    nb

  4. Re: NetGear WAG511 Most Linux Friendly PCMCIA Wireless Card

    On 2007-07-22, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

    > I recently returned from a journey on the web, looking for linux friendly
    > pcmcia cards, in anticipation of a new desktop I am assembling. You see,
    > wireless is my main path to the internet. It was a lesson in frustration, as

    I'm looking for one myself, for an old laptop on which I read my news.
    So, thanks for mensionning the brand/model.

    But something puzzles me: why would you need a pcmcia card ... for a new
    desktop? Did you means new laptop, or did you mean wifi-card?

    Douglas Adams

  5. Re: NetGear WAG511 Most Linux Friendly PCMCIA Wireless Card

    In comp.os.linux.hardware, Rikishi 42 had the audacity to say that:

    > On 2007-07-22, Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    >
    >> I recently returned from a journey on the web, looking for linux friendly
    >> pcmcia cards, in anticipation of a new desktop I am assembling. You see,
    >> wireless is my main path to the internet. It was a lesson in frustration, as

    > I'm looking for one myself, for an old laptop on which I read my news.
    > So, thanks for mensionning the brand/model.
    >
    > But something puzzles me: why would you need a pcmcia card ... for a new
    > desktop? Did you means new laptop, or did you mean wifi-card?

    I would connect via pci adapter, easier to swap out diff cards, important
    when you're trying to find one that works

    *R* *H*

    --
    "I'll take the nice ones with simple installers etc, because to me, thats the
    whole and only point of using a distribution in the first place."

+ Reply to Thread