Sound card and its error - Hardware

This is a discussion on Sound card and its error - Hardware ; We have here sound card.Linux think that sound card issue sound but the sound has not,I do not hear at least this sound.Here is printing a device of /dev/sndstat. katusis@localhost:~$ cat /dev/sndstat Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.14rc3 emulation code) Kernel: Linux ...

  1. Sound card and its error

    We have here sound card.Linux think that sound card issue sound but the
    sound has not,I do not hear at least this sound.Here is printing a device
    of /dev/sndstat.
    katusis@localhost:~$ cat /dev/sndstat
    Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.14rc3 emulation code)
    Kernel: Linux localhost 2.6.21-2-686 #1 SMP Wed Jul 11 03:53:02 UTC 2007
    i686
    Config options: 0

    Installed drivers:
    Type 10: ALSA emulation

    Card config:
    SiS SI7012 with ALC203 at irq 17
    SiS SI7013 Modem at irq 17

    Audio devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

    Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

    Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

    Timers:
    7: system timer

    Mixers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
    How have I remove this error to this sound was hear?
    Thanks to advice.

  2. Re: Sound card and its error

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 03:34:19 +0200, Miroslaw Makowiecki typed this
    message:

    > We have here sound card.Linux think that sound card issue sound but the
    > sound has not,I do not hear at least this sound.Here is printing a
    > device of /dev/sndstat.
    > katusis@localhost:~$ cat /dev/sndstat Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA
    > v1.0.14rc3 emulation code) Kernel: Linux localhost 2.6.21-2-686 #1 SMP
    > Wed Jul 11 03:53:02 UTC 2007 i686
    > Config options: 0
    >
    > Installed drivers:
    > Type 10: ALSA emulation
    >
    > Card config:
    > SiS SI7012 with ALC203 at irq 17
    > SiS SI7013 Modem at irq 17
    >
    > Audio devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
    >
    > Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
    >
    > Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
    >
    > Timers:
    > 7: system timer
    >
    > Mixers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
    > How have I remove this error to this sound was hear? Thanks to advice.

    try YaST2 -> Hardware -> sound

    SIS7012 should be using intel8x0 alsa and AC'97 drivers.

  3. Re: Sound card and its error

    > try YaST2 -> Hardware -> sound
    But I use Debian Linux.
    > SIS7012 should be using intel8x0 alsa and AC'97 drivers.

    That What have I load a modules of 2.6.21-2-686 linux kernel?
    Thanks in advice.

  4. Re: Sound card and its error

    > try YaST2 -> Hardware -> sound
    But I use Debian Linux.
    > SIS7012 should be using intel8x0 alsa and AC'97 drivers.

    If I use its what you say that alsaconf it alsaconf will detect a sound card
    and it loads suitable the sound driver but I do not hear this sound in
    spite of that kde will discovers sound and one is going that if its sound
    will be.
    What do it bad?
    THanks in advice.

  5. Re: Sound card and its error

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 03:34:19 +0200, Miroslaw Makowiecki wrote:

    > We have here sound card.Linux think that sound card issue sound but the
    > sound has not,I do not hear at least this sound.Here is printing a
    > device of /dev/sndstat.
    > katusis@localhost:~$ cat /dev/sndstat Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA
    > v1.0.14rc3 emulation code) Kernel: Linux localhost 2.6.21-2-686 #1 SMP
    > Wed Jul 11 03:53:02 UTC 2007 i686
    > Config options: 0
    >
    > Installed drivers:
    > Type 10: ALSA emulation

    This isn't useful. /dev/sndstat was an old hack in the OSS days, it is
    usually disables in modern distributions, even if OSS emulation is still
    available for legacy programs. The real info is in /proc/asound.

    --
    Vladimir

  6. Re: Sound card and its error

    > This isn't useful. /dev/sndstat was an old hack in the OSS days, it is
    > usually disables in modern distributions, even if OSS emulation is still
    > available for legacy programs. The real info is in /proc/asound.

    What do I show hirs to you to this problem solve in /proc/asound?
    What is it subcatalog I have show his any info file because these is a
    several catalog in /proc/asound!
    Thanks in advice.

  7. Re: Sound card and its error

    > This isn't useful. /dev/sndstat was an old hack in the OSS days, it is
    > usually disables in modern distributions, even if OSS emulation is still
    > available for legacy programs. The real info is in /proc/asound.

    What do I show hirs to you to this problem solve in /proc/asound?
    What is it subcatalog I have show to you any info file because these is a
    several catalog in /proc/asound!
    Thanks in advice.

  8. Re: Sound card and its error

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:35:54 +0200, Miroslaw Makowiecki typed this
    message:

    >> try YaST2 -> Hardware -> sound

    > But I use Debian Linux.
    >> SIS7012 should be using intel8x0 alsa and AC'97 drivers.

    > If I use its what you say that alsaconf it alsaconf will detect a sound
    > card and it loads suitable the sound driver but I do not hear this sound
    > in spite of that kde will discovers sound and one is going that if its
    > sound will be.
    > What do it bad?
    > THanks in advice.

    Debian ok!

    $ aplay -L -l # shows sound devices

    $ alsamixer # shows muted sound volumes

    $ lsof -n | grep snd # shows programs using sound devices

  9. Re: Sound card and its error

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:56:10 +0200, Miroslaw Makowiecki wrote:

    >> This isn't useful. /dev/sndstat was an old hack in the OSS days, it is
    >> usually disables in modern distributions, even if OSS emulation is
    >> still available for legacy programs. The real info is in /proc/asound.

    > What do I show hirs to you to this problem solve in /proc/asound? What
    > is it subcatalog I have show to you any info file because these is a
    > several catalog in /proc/asound!
    > Thanks in advice.

    There are several useful files in /proc/asound, but it would take to long
    to explain the meaning of each. For example, /proc/asound/modules lists
    the modules (drivers) that the kernel loaded to support the sound card.
    In your case it should contain the string "0 snd-intel8x0". This means
    the correct driver is running. Basically, from your other message it is
    clear that the driver is loaded. If you don't get sound, it is likely
    because of something other than the kernel - KDE configuration, for
    example (can't help you with that - I use Gnome only).

    --
    Vladimir

+ Reply to Thread