Compaq AVGA support - Hardware

This is a discussion on Compaq AVGA support - Hardware ; I have a old Compaq 486 DX4-100 Notebook, on which I installed Slackware 11 recently. Only Xorg makes problems. 1. AVGA Chipset support is abandoned since Xfree 3.3.6 2. VESA Modes cannot be initialized, it gives me errors, seems to ...

  1. Compaq AVGA support

    I have a old Compaq 486 DX4-100 Notebook, on which I installed Slackware
    11 recently. Only Xorg makes problems.

    1. AVGA Chipset support is abandoned since Xfree 3.3.6
    2. VESA Modes cannot be initialized, it gives me errors,
    seems to me that the notebook doesn't have VESA support.
    Don't know how to detect it.
    3.VGA driver for Xorg is very strange here:
    I try to use 640x480x4Bit (16 Colours), but it always switches
    to a resolution of 320x200!

    Same on Delilinux. Seems to be a general problem.
    Don't know what to do here... If I could write a Xorg driver,
    I would take a look into the old Xfree 3.3.6 driver.

    Any ideas are desired

  2. Re: Compaq AVGA support

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:18:23 +0200, Tim Lindner wrote:

    > I have a old Compaq 486 DX4-100 Notebook, on which I installed Slackware
    > 11 recently. Only Xorg makes problems.
    >
    > 1. AVGA Chipset support is abandoned since Xfree 3.3.6 2. VESA Modes
    > cannot be initialized, it gives me errors, seems to me that the notebook
    > doesn't have VESA support. Don't know how to detect it. 3.VGA driver for
    > Xorg is very strange here: I try to use 640x480x4Bit (16 Colours), but
    > it always switches to a resolution of 320x200!
    >
    > Same on Delilinux. Seems to be a general problem. Don't know what to do
    > here... If I could write a Xorg driver, I would take a look into the old
    > Xfree 3.3.6 driver.
    >
    > Any ideas are desired

    I can't say specifically for that laptop, however, the DSL distro is made
    to run on old equipment like that. Live CD is slightly less than 50MB
    download and that would let you test it out to see it it would work for
    your needs. Older kernel and binaries but very usable and even relatively
    fast if you have 128MB and use the "toram" boot option. I haven't tried it
    on less than P166. If you normally run slack, you'll be able to figure out
    a few of the "quirks" that trip up newbies.

    Rodney

  3. Re: Compaq AVGA support

    Rodney schrieb:
    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:18:23 +0200, Tim Lindner wrote:
    >
    >> I have a old Compaq 486 DX4-100 Notebook, on which I installed Slackware
    >> 11 recently. Only Xorg makes problems.
    >>
    >> 1. AVGA Chipset support is abandoned since Xfree 3.3.6 2. VESA Modes
    >> cannot be initialized, it gives me errors, seems to me that the notebook
    >> doesn't have VESA support. Don't know how to detect it. 3.VGA driver for
    >> Xorg is very strange here: I try to use 640x480x4Bit (16 Colours), but
    >> it always switches to a resolution of 320x200!
    >>
    >> Same on Delilinux. Seems to be a general problem. Don't know what to do
    >> here... If I could write a Xorg driver, I would take a look into the old
    >> Xfree 3.3.6 driver.
    >>
    >> Any ideas are desired

    > I can't say specifically for that laptop, however, the DSL distro is made
    > to run on old equipment like that. Live CD is slightly less than 50MB
    > download and that would let you test it out to see it it would work for
    > your needs. Older kernel and binaries but very usable and even relatively
    > fast if you have 128MB and use the "toram" boot option. I haven't tried it
    > on less than P166. If you normally run slack, you'll be able to figure out
    > a few of the "quirks" that trip up newbies.
    >
    > Rodney

    DSL will be my next step to choose, first I'll try to install an old
    Xfree 3.3.6 Server... But thank you so far

  4. Re: Compaq AVGA support

    On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 11:33:20 +0200, Tim Lindner wrote:

    > Rodney schrieb:
    >> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:18:23 +0200, Tim Lindner wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a old Compaq 486 DX4-100 Notebook, on which I installed
    >>> Slackware 11 recently. Only Xorg makes problems.
    >>>
    >>> 1. AVGA Chipset support is abandoned since Xfree 3.3.6 2. VESA Modes
    >>> cannot be initialized, it gives me errors, seems to me that the
    >>> notebook doesn't have VESA support. Don't know how to detect it. 3.VGA
    >>> driver for Xorg is very strange here: I try to use 640x480x4Bit (16
    >>> Colours), but it always switches to a resolution of 320x200!
    >>>
    >>> Same on Delilinux. Seems to be a general problem. Don't know what to do
    >>> here... If I could write a Xorg driver, I would take a look into the
    >>> old Xfree 3.3.6 driver.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas are desired

    >> I can't say specifically for that laptop, however, the DSL distro is
    >> made to run on old equipment like that. Live CD is slightly less than
    >> 50MB download and that would let you test it out to see it it would work
    >> for your needs. Older kernel and binaries but very usable and even
    >> relatively fast if you have 128MB and use the "toram" boot option. I
    >> haven't tried it on less than P166. If you normally run slack, you'll be
    >> able to figure out a few of the "quirks" that trip up newbies.
    >>
    >> Rodney

    > DSL will be my next step to choose, first I'll try to install an old Xfree
    > 3.3.6 Server... But thank you so far

    Good luck. Now I can say that DSL will also run on an old classic(non-MMX)
    P133 with no L2 cache(empty COAST slot) but that's still not down to DX100
    level. It might run better with framebuffer on your display rather than
    VESA.

  5. Re: Compaq AVGA support

    Rodney writes:

    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:18:23 +0200, Tim Lindner wrote:
    >
    > > I have a old Compaq 486 DX4-100 Notebook, on which I installed Slackware
    > > 11 recently. Only Xorg makes problems.

    > I can't say specifically for that laptop, however, the DSL distro is made
    > to run on old equipment like that. Live CD is slightly less than 50MB
    > download and that would let you test it out to see it it would work for
    > your needs. Older kernel and binaries but very usable and even relatively
    > fast if you have 128MB and use the "toram" boot option. I haven't tried it
    > on less than P166. If you normally run slack, you'll be able to figure out
    > a few of the "quirks" that trip up newbies.

    AVGA was unusual enough that there was nobody who really cared about
    keeping it working with X. I had a Compaq Concerto (and wrote a pen
    driver for it at one time) and spent some time trying to figure out
    what had changed in XFree86 after the last version for which it
    worked, and was never able to pinpoint the crucial change. AFAIK,
    nobody else has ever even tried.

+ Reply to Thread