Motherboard Builtin Wireless - Hardware

This is a discussion on Motherboard Builtin Wireless - Hardware ; I'm about done configuring my first DIY puter at NewEgg. So far have: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model MSI K9N4 SLI-F Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Patriot eXtreme ...

  1. Motherboard Builtin Wireless

    I'm about done configuring my first DIY puter at NewEgg. So far have:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model
    MSI K9N4 SLI-F Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard -
    Patriot eXtreme Performance 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    Athenatech A6603BB.450 Black SECC Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 450W
    LITE-ON Combo Drive Black SATA Model SHC-52S7K-05 - OEM

    Just have a question about wireless. Does the MSI board have wireless bilt
    in or do I need an adapter? Sorry if it's a silly question, but I could not
    see anything about wireless in the description.

    *R* *H*

    --
    Minnie Mouse is a slow maze learner.

  2. Re: Motherboard Builtin Wireless

    Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    > I'm about done configuring my first DIY puter at NewEgg. So far have:
    > AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model
    > MSI K9N4 SLI-F Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 500 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard -
    > Patriot eXtreme Performance 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    > Athenatech A6603BB.450 Black SECC Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 450W
    > LITE-ON Combo Drive Black SATA Model SHC-52S7K-05 - OEM
    >
    > Just have a question about wireless. Does the MSI board have wireless bilt
    > in or do I need an adapter? Sorry if it's a silly question, but I could not
    > see anything about wireless in the description.
    >
    > *R* *H*

    No wifi. Only one IDE channel... read any reviews?

    Pros: At this price point, everything that comes with this board is
    an excellent deal. Solid performance, a BIOS that isn't a pain to work
    with, and cooler and quieter operation than expected is just icing on
    the cake. Plus, having an AM2 socket and a memory standard of DDR2-800
    at this price is great.

    Cons: The physical layout of the board is pain to deal with at
    times. For example, like several people have said, the ATX power
    connector isn't in an "easy to work with" location. Plus, having only 2
    slots for RAM limits this board's possible potential.

    Other Thoughts: For those of you haven't noticed, this IS NOT a
    nForce 550 Ultra (Newegg has mislabeled it); it's a nForce 500 Ultra.
    The nForce 500 Ultra equates to a nForce 4 Ultra that has been
    redesigned to support the AM2 socket. So if you need drivers, BIOS, etc,
    look for drivers for the nForce 4 Series AMD (although nVIDIA should
    recompile and redistribute the drivers under the new name).

    Plus, read all of the reviews...

    There are boards with processors included, assembled and tested, for
    less than $90. Just add the DDR RAM.

    I do also check http://pricewatch.com http://tigerdirect.com
    http://computergate.com and http://3btech.com for deals.

    I am running an MSI K8NGM2-FID with the nVidia DVI and SVGA outputs,
    included an AMD X2 socket and a Sempron 3000+ cpu with fan, for $89
    delivered to my door. That is a board designed and built Feb 2006 so it
    is "OLD", but you get the idea. Mepis runs great on this. It has SATA
    RAID, and full IDE on two channels. Sound is 7.1. No problems for two
    months of running 24/7/365 on a UPS... I also ordered the Chiefmax 450
    PSU with 24 pin power connector (now $16 )

    Double check the Power plug necessary to run your board (20 vs 24 pin)
    plus, the auxiliary P4 power connector!

    Cheap gets an older technology, ie, nForce 450 instead of nForce 550.

  3. Re: Motherboard Builtin Wireless

    In comp.os.linux.hardware, Oldtech had the audacity to say that:

    > Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    > No wifi. Only one IDE channel... read any reviews?

    OK, gess I'll need a pci->pcmcia adapter. No problem there...

    > Pros: At this price point, everything that comes with this board is
    > an excellent deal. Solid performance, a BIOS that isn't a pain to work
    > with, and cooler and quieter operation than expected is just icing on
    > the cake. Plus, having an AM2 socket and a memory standard of DDR2-800
    > at this price is great.
    >
    > Cons: The physical layout of the board is pain to deal with at
    > times. For example, like several people have said, the ATX power
    > connector isn't in an "easy to work with" location. Plus, having only 2
    > slots for RAM limits this board's possible potential.
    >
    > Other Thoughts: For those of you haven't noticed, this IS NOT a
    > nForce 550 Ultra (Newegg has mislabeled it); it's a nForce 500 Ultra.
    > The nForce 500 Ultra equates to a nForce 4 Ultra that has been
    > redesigned to support the AM2 socket. So if you need drivers, BIOS, etc,
    > look for drivers for the nForce 4 Series AMD (although nVIDIA should
    > recompile and redistribute the drivers under the new name).
    >
    > Plus, read all of the reviews...
    >
    > There are boards with processors included, assembled and tested, for
    > less than $90. Just add the DDR RAM.

    Do you know of any links on newegg for mobo/proc combos I didn't see any?
    But i'll check tiger direct and the other vendors. I'm already enjoying
    this ride!

    > I do also check http://pricewatch.com http://tigerdirect.com
    > http://computergate.com and http://3btech.com for deals.
    >
    > I am running an MSI K8NGM2-FID with the nVidia DVI and SVGA outputs,
    > included an AMD X2 socket and a Sempron 3000+ cpu with fan, for $89
    > delivered to my door. That is a board designed and built Feb 2006 so it
    > is "OLD", but you get the idea. Mepis runs great on this. It has SATA
    > RAID, and full IDE on two channels. Sound is 7.1. No problems for two
    > months of running 24/7/365 on a UPS... I also ordered the Chiefmax 450
    > PSU with 24 pin power connector (now $16 )
    >
    > Double check the Power plug necessary to run your board (20 vs 24 pin)
    > plus, the auxiliary P4 power connector!
    >
    > Cheap gets an older technology, ie, nForce 450 instead of nForce 550.

    --
    "Every natural action is graceful"
    - Emerson

  4. Re: Motherboard Builtin Wireless

    Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.hardware, Oldtech had the audacity to say that:
    >
    >> Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    >> No wifi. Only one IDE channel... read any reviews?
    >>

    > OK, gess I'll need a pci->pcmcia adapter. No problem there...
    >

    >> Pros: At this price point, everything that comes with this board is
    >> an excellent deal. Solid performance, a BIOS that isn't a pain to work
    >> with, and cooler and quieter operation than expected is just icing on
    >> the cake. Plus, having an AM2 socket and a memory standard of DDR2-800
    >> at this price is great.
    >>
    >> Cons: The physical layout of the board is pain to deal with at
    >> times. For example, like several people have said, the ATX power
    >> connector isn't in an "easy to work with" location. Plus, having only 2
    >> slots for RAM limits this board's possible potential.
    >>
    >> Other Thoughts: For those of you haven't noticed, this IS NOT a
    >> nForce 550 Ultra (Newegg has mislabeled it); it's a nForce 500 Ultra.
    >> The nForce 500 Ultra equates to a nForce 4 Ultra that has been
    >> redesigned to support the AM2 socket. So if you need drivers, BIOS, etc,
    >> look for drivers for the nForce 4 Series AMD (although nVIDIA should
    >> recompile and redistribute the drivers under the new name).
    >>
    >> Plus, read all of the reviews...
    >>
    >> There are boards with processors included, assembled and tested, for
    >> less than $90. Just add the DDR RAM.

    > Do you know of any links on newegg for mobo/proc combos I didn't see any?
    > But i'll check tiger direct and the other vendors. I'm already enjoying
    > this ride!
    >
    >> I do also check http://pricewatch.com http://tigerdirect.com
    >> http://computergate.com and http://3btech.com for deals.
    >>
    >> I am running an MSI K8NGM2-FID with the nVidia DVI and SVGA outputs,
    >> included an AMD X2 socket and a Sempron 3000+ cpu with fan, for $89
    >> delivered to my door. That is a board designed and built Feb 2006 so it
    >> is "OLD", but you get the idea. Mepis runs great on this. It has SATA
    >> RAID, and full IDE on two channels. Sound is 7.1. No problems for two
    >> months of running 24/7/365 on a UPS... I also ordered the Chiefmax 450
    >> PSU with 24 pin power connector (now $16 )
    >>
    >> Double check the Power plug necessary to run your board (20 vs 24 pin)
    >> plus, the auxiliary P4 power connector!
    >>
    >> Cheap gets an older technology, ie, nForce 450 instead of nForce 550.

    I was shopping and stumbled on the MSI K8NGM2-FID board with Sempron
    3000+ at $89 flat, including shipping, NIB, from 3Btech.com and it has
    run perfectly on all the different GNU/Linux distros I threw at it.

    That board might be tad old for some folks, as it was released in Feb
    2006. I would grab another, but then would need to gather more memory.

  5. Re: Motherboard Builtin Wireless

    In comp.os.linux.hardware, Oldtech had the audacity to say that:

    > I was shopping and stumbled on the MSI K8NGM2-FID board with Sempron
    > 3000+ at $89 flat, including shipping, NIB, from 3Btech.com and it has
    > run perfectly on all the different GNU/Linux distros I threw at it.
    >
    > That board might be tad old for some folks, as it was released in Feb
    > 2006. I would grab another, but then would need to gather more memory.

    EBTech site is no longer.

    The following appears on the MSI site for the board I'm interestd in, the
    K9N4 SLI-F:

    Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system
    configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron
    Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the
    motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please
    confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better
    system stability.

    Do you know where a beginner like myself can obtain the info to correctly
    set the timing and such so the memory will work most effeciently?

    *R* *H*

    --
    Tim and I a hunting went
    We found three damsels in a tent,

  6. Re: Motherboard Builtin Wireless

    Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.hardware, Oldtech had the audacity to say that:
    >

    >> I was shopping and stumbled on the MSI K8NGM2-FID board with Sempron
    >> 3000+ at $89 flat, including shipping, NIB, from 3Btech.com and it has
    >> run perfectly on all the different GNU/Linux distros I threw at it.
    >>
    >> That board might be tad old for some folks, as it was released in Feb
    >> 2006. I would grab another, but then would need to gather more memory.
    >>

    > EBTech site is no longer.
    >
    > The following appears on the MSI site for the board I'm interestd in, the
    > K9N4 SLI-F:
    >
    > Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system
    > configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint
    > Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on
    > the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing.
    > Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for
    > better system stability.
    >
    > Do you know where a beginner like myself can obtain the info to correctly
    > set the timing and such so the memory will work most effeciently?
    >
    > *R* *H*

    I can't remember where i found it, but it frequently solved by upping the
    dram voltage a step or two.
    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

  7. Re: Motherboard Builtin Wireless

    In comp.os.linux.hardware, joseph2k had the audacity to say that:

    > Rockinghorse Winner wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.hardware, Oldtech had the audacity to say that:
    >>

    >>> I was shopping and stumbled on the MSI K8NGM2-FID board with Sempron
    >>> 3000+ at $89 flat, including shipping, NIB, from 3Btech.com and it has
    >>> run perfectly on all the different GNU/Linux distros I threw at it.
    >>>
    >>> That board might be tad old for some folks, as it was released in Feb
    >>> 2006. I would grab another, but then would need to gather more memory.
    >>>

    >> EBTech site is no longer.
    >>
    >> The following appears on the MSI site for the board I'm interestd in, the
    >> K9N4 SLI-F:
    >>
    >> Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system
    >> configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint
    >> Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on
    >> the motherboard) such as DDR2 voltage, memory speeds and memory timing.
    >> Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for
    >> better system stability.
    >>
    >> Do you know where a beginner like myself can obtain the info to correctly
    >> set the timing and such so the memory will work most effeciently?
    >>
    >> *R* *H*
    >>

    > I can't remember where i found it, but it frequently solved by upping the
    > dram voltage a step or two.

    Yes, thanks, I got this figured out too...

    *R* *H*

    --
    "I'll take the nice ones with simple installers etc, because to me, thats the
    whole and only point of using a distribution in the first place."

  8. Re: Motherboard Builtin Wireless

    >>> Do you know where a beginner like myself can obtain the info to correctly
    >>> set the timing and such so the memory will work most effeciently?
    >>>
    >>> *R* *H*
    >>>

    >> I can't remember where i found it, but it frequently solved by upping the
    >> dram voltage a step or two.

    > Yes, thanks, I got this figured out too...
    >
    > *R* *H*

    Another solution to the compatibility concerns would be to order the
    combo main board with it's processor, fan, plus, what added memory you
    like, and trust the technicians of the web who assemble and test it to
    use the right stuff.

    Most of the main board vendors at pricewatch.com offer this service,
    plus, testing of the set.

    Then, the whole thing is shipped to you, except the fan and heatsink are
    in their retail box for you to assemble upon arrival.

+ Reply to Thread