Speeding up hard disk drive - Hardware

This is a discussion on Speeding up hard disk drive - Hardware ; I've a Maxtor 51536U3 disk (PATA , 15GB) in a Celeron Coppermine computer, and it is working under udma4. /dev/hda: Model=Maxtor 51536U3, FwRev=DAC10SC0, SerialNo=K30CGKLC Config={ Fixed } RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=30015216 IORDY=on/off, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Speeding up hard disk drive

  1. Speeding up hard disk drive

    I've a Maxtor 51536U3 disk (PATA , 15GB) in a Celeron Coppermine
    computer, and it is working under udma4.



    /dev/hda:

    Model=Maxtor 51536U3, FwRev=DAC10SC0, SerialNo=K30CGKLC
    Config={ Fixed }
    RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57
    BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
    CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=30015216
    IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
    PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
    UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4
    AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled
    Drive conforms to: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 0: ATA/ATAPI-1
    ATA/ATAPI-2 ATA/ATAPI-3 ATA/ATAPI-4 ATA/ATAPI-5 ATA/ATAPI-6

    * signifies the current active mode


    The only information I was able to get online about the disk speed is:

    # INTERNAL DATA TRANSFER RATE : 346 MBIT/S
    # EXTERNAL DATA TRANSFER RATE : 66.7 MBPS

    (Source:
    )


    And dma is enabled:

    root@3[~]# hdparm /dev/hda

    /dev/hda:
    multcount = 16 (on)
    IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
    unmaskirq = 1 (on)
    using_dma = 1 (on)
    keepsettings = 0 (off)
    readonly = 0 (off)
    readahead = 256 (on)
    geometry = 29777/16/63, sectors = 30015216, start = 0



    But the disk is *really* slow:

    root@3[~]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

    /dev/hda:
    Timing cached reads: 256 MB in 2.01 seconds = 127.33 MB/sec
    Timing buffered disk reads: 2 MB in 32.42 seconds = 63.17 kB/sec


    What's wrong here?

    --
    Nuno J. Silva
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Homepage:
    Registered Linux User #402207 - http://counter.li.org

    Using Claws Mail 2.10.0

    Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
    Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes)

    -=-=-
    “Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it
    everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every
    human being who ever was, lived out their lives.” -- Carl Sagan

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFGm5708uhttueYbMMRAnqCAJ9H0dtXgrYSPjlzU4liVb DnqsFIoQCfQ+H9
    JoZFzGln0FnsqrbOFTfPLVs=
    =oJfk
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  2. Re: Speeding up hard disk drive

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:38:05 +0100, Nuno J. Silva wrote:

    > I've a Maxtor 51536U3 disk (PATA , 15GB) in a Celeron Coppermine
    > computer, and it is working under udma4.
    >
    >
    >
    > /dev/hda:
    >
    > Model=Maxtor 51536U3, FwRev=DAC10SC0, SerialNo=K30CGKLC Config={ Fixed
    > }
    > RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57
    > BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
    > CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=30015216
    > IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120} PIO
    > modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    > DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
    > UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 AdvancedPM=yes: disabled
    > (255) WriteCache=enabled Drive conforms to: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D
    > revision 0: ATA/ATAPI-1
    > ATA/ATAPI-2 ATA/ATAPI-3 ATA/ATAPI-4 ATA/ATAPI-5 ATA/ATAPI-6
    >
    > * signifies the current active mode
    >
    >
    > The only information I was able to get online about the disk speed is:
    >
    > # INTERNAL DATA TRANSFER RATE : 346 MBIT/S # EXTERNAL DATA TRANSFER RATE
    > : 66.7 MBPS
    >
    > (Source:
    > <http://www.serversupply.com/MAXTOR/H...RIVES/ATA%20-%

    20IDE/15GB-7200RPM/51536U3.htm>)
    >
    >
    > And dma is enabled:
    >
    > root@3[~]# hdparm /dev/hda
    >
    > /dev/hda:
    > multcount = 16 (on)
    > IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
    > unmaskirq = 1 (on)
    > using_dma = 1 (on)
    > keepsettings = 0 (off)
    > readonly = 0 (off)
    > readahead = 256 (on)
    > geometry = 29777/16/63, sectors = 30015216, start = 0
    >
    >
    >
    > But the disk is *really* slow:
    >
    > root@3[~]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda
    >
    > /dev/hda:
    > Timing cached reads: 256 MB in 2.01 seconds = 127.33 MB/sec Timing
    > buffered disk reads: 2 MB in 32.42 seconds = 63.17 kB/sec
    >
    >
    > What's wrong here?


    That sounds like a very sick drive. Have you checked the SMART status?

  3. Re: Speeding up hard disk drive

    On 16 Jul 2007 18:57:33 GMT
    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:38:05 +0100, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
    >
    > > I've a Maxtor 51536U3 disk (PATA , 15GB) in a Celeron Coppermine
    > > computer, and it is working under udma4.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > /dev/hda:
    > >
    > > Model=Maxtor 51536U3, FwRev=DAC10SC0, SerialNo=K30CGKLC
    > > Config={ Fixed }
    > > RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57
    > > BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16,
    > > MultSect=16 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes,
    > > LBAsects=30015216 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120},
    > > tDMA={min:120,rec:120} PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    > > DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
    > > UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 AdvancedPM=yes: disabled
    > > (255) WriteCache=enabled Drive conforms to: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D
    > > revision 0: ATA/ATAPI-1
    > > ATA/ATAPI-2 ATA/ATAPI-3 ATA/ATAPI-4 ATA/ATAPI-5 ATA/ATAPI-6
    > >
    > > * signifies the current active mode
    > >
    > >
    > > The only information I was able to get online about the disk speed
    > > is:
    > >
    > > # INTERNAL DATA TRANSFER RATE : 346 MBIT/S # EXTERNAL DATA TRANSFER
    > > RATE : 66.7 MBPS
    > >
    > > (Source:
    > > <http://www.serversupply.com/MAXTOR/H...RIVES/ATA%20-%

    > 20IDE/15GB-7200RPM/51536U3.htm>)
    > >
    > >
    > > And dma is enabled:
    > >
    > > root@3[~]# hdparm /dev/hda
    > >
    > > /dev/hda:
    > > multcount = 16 (on)
    > > IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
    > > unmaskirq = 1 (on)
    > > using_dma = 1 (on)
    > > keepsettings = 0 (off)
    > > readonly = 0 (off)
    > > readahead = 256 (on)
    > > geometry = 29777/16/63, sectors = 30015216, start = 0
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > But the disk is *really* slow:
    > >
    > > root@3[~]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda
    > >
    > > /dev/hda:
    > > Timing cached reads: 256 MB in 2.01 seconds = 127.33 MB/sec
    > > Timing buffered disk reads: 2 MB in 32.42 seconds = 63.17 kB/sec
    > >
    > >
    > > What's wrong here?

    >
    > That sounds like a very sick drive. Have you checked the SMART status?


    No, I didn't, sorry :-)

    My limited knowledge on SMART may not allow me to analyse correctly the
    report - after reading the man page and the report, I can conclude
    there's no problematic atribute value. But I can be wrong.

    The only alarming thing I can see is the error counter: 3347 errors :-\

    Here's a smartctl --all /dev/hda:

    smartctl version 5.36 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce Allen
    Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

    === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Model Family: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 series (Ultra ATA 66 and Ultra ATA 100)
    Device Model: Maxtor 51536U3
    Serial Number: K30CGKLC
    Firmware Version: DAC10SC0
    User Capacity: 15,367,790,592 bytes
    Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    ATA Version is: 6
    ATA Standard is: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 0
    Local Time is: Mon Jul 16 19:10:58 2007 EDT
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled

    === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

    General SMART Values:
    Offline data collection status: (0x00) Offline data collection activity
    was never started.
    Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
    Self-test execution status: ( 0) The previous self-test routine completed
    without error or no self-test has ever
    been run.
    Total time to complete Offline
    data collection: ( 0) seconds.
    Offline data collection
    capabilities: (0x1b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
    Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
    Suspend Offline collection upon new
    command.
    Offline surface scan supported.
    Self-test supported.
    No Conveyance Self-test supported.
    No Selective Self-test supported.
    SMART capabilities: (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
    power-saving mode.
    Supports SMART auto save timer.
    Error logging capability: (0x01) Error logging supported.
    No General Purpose Logging support.
    Short self-test routine
    recommended polling time: ( 2) minutes.
    Extended self-test routine
    recommended polling time: ( 12) minutes.

    SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
    Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
    ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
    1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000a 253 252 000 Old_age Always - 16819092263068
    3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0027 217 216 063 Pre-fail Always - 63
    4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 253 253 000 Old_age Always - 813
    5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 203 203 063 Pre-fail Always - 126
    6 Read_Channel_Margin 0x0001 253 253 100 Pre-fail Offline - 0
    7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x000a 250 179 000 Old_age Always - 17179937184
    8 Seek_Time_Performance 0x0027 253 249 187 Pre-fail Always - 213691802884597
    9 Power_On_Minutes 0x0032 250 250 000 Old_age Always - 1220h+54m
    10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x002b 253 252 223 Pre-fail Always - 99
    11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x002b 253 252 223 Pre-fail Always - 54
    12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 249 249 000 Old_age Always - 1798
    196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0008 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
    197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0008 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
    198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0008 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
    199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0008 199 199 000 Old_age Offline - 15741
    200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x000a 253 252 000 Old_age Always - 435414
    201 Soft_Read_Error_Rate 0x000a 253 249 000 Old_age Always - 317827911836
    202 TA_Increase_Count 0x000a 001 001 000 Old_age Always - 67860483608732
    203 Run_Out_Cancel 0x000b 205 193 180 Pre-fail Always - 136189118320796
    204 Shock_Count_Write_Opern 0x000a 253 252 000 Old_age Always - 331932
    205 Shock_Rate_Write_Opern 0x000a 253 252 000 Old_age Always - 331932
    207 Spin_High_Current 0x002a 253 252 000 Old_age Always - 99
    208 Spin_Buzz 0x002a 253 252 000 Old_age Always - 99
    209 Offline_Seek_Performnce 0x0024 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
    96 Unknown_Attribute 0x0004 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
    97 Unknown_Attribute 0x0004 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
    98 Unknown_Attribute 0x0004 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
    99 Unknown_Attribute 0x0004 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
    100 Unknown_Attribute 0x0004 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
    101 Unknown_Attribute 0x0004 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0

    SMART Error Log Version: 1
    Warning: ATA error count 3347 inconsistent with error log pointer 5

    ATA Error Count: 3347 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)
    CR = Command Register [HEX]
    FR = Features Register [HEX]
    SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]
    SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]
    CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]
    CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]
    DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]
    DC = Device Command Register [HEX]
    ER = Error register [HEX]
    ST = Status register [HEX]
    Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as
    DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,
    SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.

    Error 3347 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1140 hours (47 days + 12 hours)
    When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an unknown state.

    After command completion occurred, registers were:
    ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
    -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    04 51 05 01 00 00 a0 Error: ABRT

    Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
    CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---------------- --------------------
    a1 00 05 01 00 00 a0 00 00:00:11.488 IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE

    Error 3346 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1140 hours (47 days + 12 hours)
    When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an unknown state.

    After command completion occurred, registers were:
    ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
    -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    04 51 05 01 00 00 a0 Error: ABRT

    Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
    CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---------------- --------------------
    a1 00 05 01 00 00 a0 08 05:30:48.160 IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE
    c8 00 20 04 42 b8 e1 08 05:29:31.168 READ DMA
    c8 00 08 f7 1c 00 e0 08 05:29:31.136 READ DMA
    c8 00 40 5f 00 00 e0 08 05:29:31.120 READ DMA
    c8 00 20 3f 00 00 e0 08 05:29:30.912 READ DMA

    Error 3345 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1140 hours (47 days + 12 hours)
    When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an unknown state.

    After command completion occurred, registers were:
    ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
    -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    04 51 05 01 00 00 a0 Error: ABRT

    Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
    CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---------------- --------------------
    a1 00 05 01 00 00 a0 08 05:30:31.056 IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE
    c8 00 20 04 42 b8 e1 08 05:29:31.168 READ DMA
    c8 00 08 f7 1c 00 e0 08 05:29:31.136 READ DMA
    c8 00 40 5f 00 00 e0 08 05:29:31.120 READ DMA
    c8 00 20 3f 00 00 e0 08 05:29:30.912 READ DMA

    Error 3344 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1140 hours (47 days + 12 hours)
    When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an unknown state.

    After command completion occurred, registers were:
    ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
    -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    04 51 05 01 00 00 a0 Error: ABRT

    Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
    CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---------------- --------------------
    a1 00 05 01 00 00 a0 00 00:00:11.792 IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE

    Error 3343 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1140 hours (47 days + 12 hours)
    When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an unknown state.

    After command completion occurred, registers were:
    ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
    -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    04 51 05 01 00 00 a0 Error: ABRT

    Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
    CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---------------- --------------------
    a1 00 05 01 00 00 a0 08 00:00:31.424 IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE

    SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
    No self-tests have been logged. [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]


    Device does not support Selective Self Tests/Logging


    --
    Nuno J. Silva
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Homepage:
    Registered Linux User #402207 - http://counter.li.org

    Using Claws Mail 2.10.0

    Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
    Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes)

    -=-=-
    The best Windows accelerator is that which works at 9.81 m/s2
    -- From a Slashdot.org post

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFGm9RR8uhttueYbMMRAq/RAJ0ZWTP3U/xQazw/HRCRtTHGfjqrUwCfdRrN
    AY2uGP/Yr9a5rO6KjMaNutU=
    =dckr
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  4. Re: Speeding up hard disk drive

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 21:25:49 +0100, Nuno J. Silva wrote:

    > On 16 Jul 2007 18:57:33 GMT
    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:38:05 +0100, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've a Maxtor 51536U3 disk (PATA , 15GB) in a Celeron Coppermine
    >> > computer, and it is working under udma4.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > /dev/hda:
    >> >
    >> > Model=Maxtor 51536U3, FwRev=DAC10SC0, SerialNo=K30CGKLC
    >> > Config={ Fixed }
    >> > RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57
    >> > BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16,
    >> > MultSect=16 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes,
    >> > LBAsects=30015216 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120},
    >> > tDMA={min:120,rec:120} PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    >> > DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
    >> > UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 AdvancedPM=yes: disabled
    >> > (255) WriteCache=enabled Drive conforms to: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D
    >> > revision 0: ATA/ATAPI-1
    >> > ATA/ATAPI-2 ATA/ATAPI-3 ATA/ATAPI-4 ATA/ATAPI-5 ATA/ATAPI-6
    >> >
    >> > * signifies the current active mode
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > The only information I was able to get online about the disk speed
    >> > is:
    >> >
    >> > # INTERNAL DATA TRANSFER RATE : 346 MBIT/S # EXTERNAL DATA TRANSFER
    >> > RATE : 66.7 MBPS
    >> >
    >> > (Source:
    >> > <http://www.serversupply.com/MAXTOR/H...RIVES/ATA%20-%

    >> 20IDE/15GB-7200RPM/51536U3.htm>)
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > And dma is enabled:
    >> >
    >> > root@3[~]# hdparm /dev/hda
    >> >
    >> > /dev/hda:
    >> > multcount = 16 (on)
    >> > IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
    >> > unmaskirq = 1 (on)
    >> > using_dma = 1 (on)
    >> > keepsettings = 0 (off)
    >> > readonly = 0 (off)
    >> > readahead = 256 (on)
    >> > geometry = 29777/16/63, sectors = 30015216, start = 0
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > But the disk is *really* slow:
    >> >
    >> > root@3[~]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda
    >> >
    >> > /dev/hda:
    >> > Timing cached reads: 256 MB in 2.01 seconds = 127.33 MB/sec
    >> > Timing buffered disk reads: 2 MB in 32.42 seconds = 63.17 kB/sec
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > What's wrong here?

    >>
    >> That sounds like a very sick drive. Have you checked the SMART status?

    >
    > No, I didn't, sorry :-)
    >
    > My limited knowledge on SMART may not allow me to analyse correctly the
    > report - after reading the man page and the report, I can conclude
    > there's no problematic atribute value. But I can be wrong.
    >
    > The only alarming thing I can see is the error counter: 3347 errors :-\
    >
    > Here's a smartctl --all /dev/hda:
    >
    > smartctl version 5.36 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce
    > Allen Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    > Model Family: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 series (Ultra ATA 66 and
    > Ultra ATA 100) Device Model: Maxtor 51536U3
    > Serial Number: K30CGKLC
    > Firmware Version: DAC10SC0
    > User Capacity: 15,367,790,592 bytes Device is: In smartctl
    > database [for details use: -P show] ATA Version is: 6
    > ATA Standard is: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 0 Local Time is: Mon
    > Jul 16 19:10:58 2007 EDT SMART support is: Available - device has SMART
    > capability. SMART support is: Enabled
    >
    > === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION === SMART overall-health
    > self-assessment test result: PASSED
    >
    > General SMART Values:
    > Offline data collection status: (0x00) Offline data collection

    activity
    > was never started.
    > Auto Offline Data Collection:

    Disabled.
    > Self-test execution status: ( 0) The previous self-test

    routine
    > completed
    > without error or no self-test has

    ever been run.
    > Total time to complete Offline
    > data collection: ( 0) seconds.
    > Offline data collection
    > capabilities: (0x1b) SMART execute Offline

    immediate.
    > Auto Offline data collection on/

    off support. Suspend Offline
    > collection upon new
    > command.
    > Offline surface scan supported.
    > Self-test supported.
    > No Conveyance Self-test supported.
    > No Selective Self-test supported.
    > SMART capabilities: (0x0003) Saves SMART data before

    entering
    > power-saving mode.
    > Supports SMART auto save timer.
    > Error logging capability: (0x01) Error logging supported.
    > No General Purpose Logging

    support.
    > Short self-test routine
    > recommended polling time: ( 2) minutes. Extended self-test

    routine
    > recommended polling time: ( 12) minutes.
    >
    > SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16 Vendor Specific
    > SMART Attributes with Thresholds: ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG
    > VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
    > 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000a 253 252 000 Old_age Always
    > - 16819092263068 3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0027 217
    > 216 063 Pre-fail Always - 63 4 Start_Stop_Count
    > 0x0032 253 253 000 Old_age Always - 813 5
    > Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 203 203 063 Pre-fail Always
    > - 126 6 Read_Channel_Margin 0x0001 253 253 100
    > Pre-fail Offline - 0 7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x000a
    > 250 179 000 Old_age Always - 17179937184 8
    > Seek_Time_Performance 0x0027 253 249 187 Pre-fail Always
    > - 213691802884597 9 Power_On_Minutes 0x0032 250
    > 250 000 Old_age Always - 1220h+54m
    > 10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x002b 253 252 223 Pre-fail Always
    > - 99 11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x002b 253 252 223
    > Pre-fail Always - 54 12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032
    > 249 249 000 Old_age Always - 1798
    > 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0008 253 253 000 Old_age
    > Offline - 0 197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0008 253 253
    > 000 Old_age Offline - 0 198 Offline_Uncorrectable
    > 0x0008 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0 199
    > UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0008 199 199 000 Old_age Offline
    > - 15741 200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x000a 253 252 000
    > Old_age Always - 435414 201 Soft_Read_Error_Rate 0x000a
    > 253 249 000 Old_age Always - 317827911836 202
    > TA_Increase_Count 0x000a 001 001 000 Old_age Always
    > - 67860483608732 203 Run_Out_Cancel 0x000b 205 193
    > 180 Pre-fail Always - 136189118320796 204
    > Shock_Count_Write_Opern 0x000a 253 252 000 Old_age Always
    > - 331932 205 Shock_Rate_Write_Opern 0x000a 253 252 000
    > Old_age Always - 331932 207 Spin_High_Current 0x002a
    > 253 252 000 Old_age Always - 99 208 Spin_Buzz
    > 0x002a 253 252 000 Old_age Always - 99
    > 209 Offline_Seek_Performnce 0x0024 253 253 000 Old_age
    > Offline - 0
    > 96 Unknown_Attribute 0x0004 253 253 000 Old_age
    > Offline - 0 97 Unknown_Attribute 0x0004 253 253
    > 000 Old_age Offline - 0 98 Unknown_Attribute
    > 0x0004 253 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0 99
    > Unknown_Attribute 0x0004 253 253 000 Old_age Offline
    > - 0
    > 100 Unknown_Attribute 0x0004 253 253 000 Old_age
    > Offline - 0 101 Unknown_Attribute 0x0004 253 253
    > 000 Old_age Offline - 0
    >
    > SMART Error Log Version: 1
    > Warning: ATA error count 3347 inconsistent with error log pointer 5
    >
    > ATA Error Count: 3347 (device log contains only the most recent five
    > errors)
    > CR = Command Register [HEX]
    > FR = Features Register [HEX]
    > SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]
    > SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]
    > CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]
    > CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]
    > DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]
    > DC = Device Command Register [HEX]
    > ER = Error register [HEX]
    > ST = Status register [HEX]
    > Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as
    > DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes, SS=sec, and
    > sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.
    >
    > Error 3347 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1140 hours (47 days + 12
    > hours)
    > When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an
    > unknown state.
    >
    > After command completion occurred, registers were: ER ST SC SN CL CH
    > DH
    > -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    > 04 51 05 01 00 00 a0 Error: ABRT
    >
    > Commands leading to the command that caused the error were: CR FR SC
    > SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name -- -- -- -- --
    > -- -- -- ---------------- -------------------- a1 00 05 01 00 00 a0
    > 00 00:00:11.488 IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE
    >
    > Error 3346 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1140 hours (47 days + 12
    > hours)
    > When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an
    > unknown state.
    >
    > After command completion occurred, registers were: ER ST SC SN CL CH
    > DH
    > -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    > 04 51 05 01 00 00 a0 Error: ABRT
    >
    > Commands leading to the command that caused the error were: CR FR SC
    > SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name -- -- -- -- --
    > -- -- -- ---------------- -------------------- a1 00 05 01 00 00 a0
    > 08 05:30:48.160 IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE c8 00 20 04 42 b8 e1 08
    > 05:29:31.168 READ DMA c8 00 08 f7 1c 00 e0 08 05:29:31.136
    > READ DMA c8 00 40 5f 00 00 e0 08 05:29:31.120 READ DMA c8 00 20
    > 3f 00 00 e0 08 05:29:30.912 READ DMA
    >
    > Error 3345 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1140 hours (47 days + 12
    > hours)
    > When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an
    > unknown state.
    >
    > After command completion occurred, registers were: ER ST SC SN CL CH
    > DH
    > -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    > 04 51 05 01 00 00 a0 Error: ABRT
    >
    > Commands leading to the command that caused the error were: CR FR SC
    > SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name -- -- -- -- --
    > -- -- -- ---------------- -------------------- a1 00 05 01 00 00 a0
    > 08 05:30:31.056 IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE c8 00 20 04 42 b8 e1 08
    > 05:29:31.168 READ DMA c8 00 08 f7 1c 00 e0 08 05:29:31.136
    > READ DMA c8 00 40 5f 00 00 e0 08 05:29:31.120 READ DMA c8 00 20
    > 3f 00 00 e0 08 05:29:30.912 READ DMA
    >
    > Error 3344 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1140 hours (47 days + 12
    > hours)
    > When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an
    > unknown state.
    >
    > After command completion occurred, registers were: ER ST SC SN CL CH
    > DH
    > -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    > 04 51 05 01 00 00 a0 Error: ABRT
    >
    > Commands leading to the command that caused the error were: CR FR SC
    > SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name -- -- -- -- --
    > -- -- -- ---------------- -------------------- a1 00 05 01 00 00 a0
    > 00 00:00:11.792 IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE
    >
    > Error 3343 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1140 hours (47 days + 12
    > hours)
    > When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was in an
    > unknown state.
    >
    > After command completion occurred, registers were: ER ST SC SN CL CH
    > DH
    > -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    > 04 51 05 01 00 00 a0 Error: ABRT
    >
    > Commands leading to the command that caused the error were: CR FR SC
    > SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name -- -- -- -- --
    > -- -- -- ---------------- -------------------- a1 00 05 01 00 00 a0
    > 08 00:00:31.424 IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE
    >
    > SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1 No self-tests have been
    > logged. [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]
    >
    >
    > Device does not support Selective Self Tests/Logging


    Try running the self test


  5. Re: Speeding up hard disk drive

    Nuno J. Silva wrote:
    > I've a Maxtor 51536U3 disk (PATA , 15GB) in a Celeron Coppermine
    > computer, and it is working under udma4.
    >

    [...]
    >
    > What's wrong here?
    >


    I had similarly odd problems on a few occasions with slow harddrives,
    and my solition was to first try different settings in the BIOS and then
    try (within reason) different settings through the hdparm (at boot time).

    --
    Dawid Michalczyk
    http://www.comp.eonworks.com _Linux SysAdmin and Webmaster scripts_

  6. Re: Speeding up hard disk drive

    On 16 Jul 2007 20:41:46 GMT
    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 21:25:49 +0100, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
    >
    > > On 16 Jul 2007 18:57:33 GMT
    > > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:38:05 +0100, Nuno J. Silva wrote:
    > >>
    > >> > I've a Maxtor 51536U3 disk (PATA , 15GB) in a Celeron Coppermine
    > >> > computer, and it is working under udma4.


    > >> > The only information I was able to get online about the disk
    > >> > speed is:
    > >> >
    > >> > # INTERNAL DATA TRANSFER RATE : 346 MBIT/S # EXTERNAL DATA
    > >> > TRANSFER RATE : 66.7 MBPS
    > >> >
    > >> > (Source:
    > >> > <http://www.serversupply.com/MAXTOR/H...RIVES/ATA%20-%
    > >> 20IDE/15GB-7200RPM/51536U3.htm>)
    > >> >
    > >> > And dma is enabled:


    > >> > But the disk is *really* slow:
    > >> >
    > >> > root@3[~]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda
    > >> >
    > >> > /dev/hda:
    > >> > Timing cached reads: 256 MB in 2.01 seconds = 127.33 MB/sec
    > >> > Timing buffered disk reads: 2 MB in 32.42 seconds = 63.17
    > >> > kB/sec
    > >> >
    > >> > What's wrong here?
    > >>
    > >> That sounds like a very sick drive. Have you checked the SMART
    > >> status?


    > > === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    > > SMART overall-health
    > > self-assessment test result: PASSED


    > > Self-test execution status: ( 0) The previous
    > > self-test routine completed without error or no self-test has ever
    > > been run.


    > > Extended self-test routine recommended polling time:
    > > ( 12) minutes.
    > >


    > > SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1 No self-tests have
    > > been logged. [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]
    > >
    > >
    > > Device does not support Selective Self Tests/Logging

    >
    > Try running the self test


    I ran the long self-test (smartctl -t long /dev/hda), which I suppose
    to be the one mentioned as "Extended self-test routine", the day before
    yesterday, around 16h00, yesterday after lunch it was still running:

    === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
    Drive failure expected in less than 24 hours. SAVE ALL DATA.
    See vendor-specific Attribute list for failed Attributes.

    [...]
    Self-test execution status: ( 243) Self-test routine in progress...
    30% of test remaining.

    [...]

    203 Run_Out_Cancel 0x000b 148 142 180 Pre-fail
    Always FAILING_NOW 227598907206124

    So I stopped the test and cp'ed everything (cp -av) over nfs to my
    laptop.

    Now it's back to PASSED, showing WHEN_FAILED: In_the_past

    You're right, it's a sick drive.

    --
    Nuno J. Silva
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Homepage:
    Registered Linux User #402207 - http://counter.li.org

    Using Claws Mail 2.10.0

    Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
    Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes)

    -=-=-
    ``The only person who always got his work done by Friday was Robinson
    Crusoe.'' -- fortune-mod version 9708

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFGnz1s8uhttueYbMMRAlKmAJ44o3wUmTEWSDcsXw7v/43jCn2KZQCfZyb8
    sLHtVtN3QTLPtL+0zoWjk7Y=
    =/FKj
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


  7. Re: Speeding up hard disk drive

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:31:01 +0100, Nuno J. Silva wrote:


    Quit ****ing around with that drive. Don't even spin it up one more time unless
    it is to get your data off it. You might not get two more chances.


  8. Re: Speeding up hard disk drive

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:33:34 GMT
    AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:31:01 +0100, Nuno J. Silva
    > wrote:
    >
    > Quit ****ing around with that drive. Don't even spin it up one more
    > time unless it is to get your data off it. You might not get two
    > more chances.
    >


    Of course. After the cp -av, I swapped the drive with a 6GB 5400rpm one
    and restored the copy. This drive is sane and gives me 14 MB/s for
    buffered reads. Much better now.

    --
    Nuno J. Silva
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Homepage:
    Registered Linux User #402207 - http://counter.li.org

    Using Claws Mail 2.10.0

    Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
    Linux 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes)

    -=-=-
    >It's because the universe was programmed in C++.

    No, no, it was programmed in Forth. See Genesis 1:12:
    "And the earth brought Forth ..."
    -- Robert Israel in sci.math, thread "Why numbers?"

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFGoSkH8uhttueYbMMRAt75AJ9w5ZKzmanxNBpXfp9fGS sQiCJ1RwCff0jF
    muM5Wo/bzGoZdK2lysgiTZY=
    =bwxz
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


+ Reply to Thread