Device is not listed in /proc/bus/usb/devices - Hardware

This is a discussion on Device is not listed in /proc/bus/usb/devices - Hardware ; I have been given a USB dongle made by an unknown vendor, and I plugged it into my laptop, expecting to somehow be able to identify it. I was expecting an entry to appear in /proc/bus/usb/devices as the dongle is ...

  1. Device is not listed in /proc/bus/usb/devices

    I have been given a USB dongle made by an unknown vendor, and I plugged it
    into my laptop, expecting to somehow be able to identify it. I was expecting
    an entry to appear in /proc/bus/usb/devices as the dongle is plugged in, but
    the file does not change. All I have listed is the host controller:

    T: Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 2
    B: Alloc= 0/900 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
    D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 2.06
    S: Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.18-4-686 uhci_hcd
    S: Product=UHCI Host Controller
    S: SerialNumber=0000:00:07.2
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr= 0mA
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
    E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=255ms

    Do I need to run something to update or refresh the list, or is the device
    broken?

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: Device is not listed in /proc/bus/usb/devices

    Mark Hobley wrote:

    > I have been given a USB dongle made by an unknown vendor, and I plugged it
    > into my laptop, expecting to somehow be able to identify it. I was
    > expecting an entry to appear in /proc/bus/usb/devices as the dongle is
    > plugged in, but the file does not change. All I have listed is the host
    > controller:
    >

    > T: Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 2
    > B: Alloc= 0/900 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
    > D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
    > P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 2.06
    > S: Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.18-4-686 uhci_hcd
    > S: Product=UHCI Host Controller
    > S: SerialNumber=0000:00:07.2
    > C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr= 0mA
    > I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
    > E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=255ms
    >
    > Do I need to run something to update or refresh the list, or is the device
    > broken?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    >
    > Mark.

    Have ou tried lsusb or usbview?
    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

  3. Re: Device is not listed in /proc/bus/usb/devices

    > I have been given a USB dongle made by an unknown vendor, and I plugged
    > it into my laptop, expecting to somehow be able to identify it. I was
    > expecting an entry to appear in /proc/bus/usb/devices as the dongle is
    > plugged in, but the file does not change.
    >
    > Do I need to run something to update or refresh the list, or is the
    > device broken?

    Not all devices register. i.e. A DIY IrDA usb dongle. Some cameras don't
    do much USB wise until you try gphoto2 --auto-detect --get-all-files.
    Although card readers are probably a better choice these days since they
    don't use battery life from the camera. Assuming the device isn't broken
    to start with. In theory something should have shown up in dmesg.

    Of course it would help to have more information, like Distro + Distro
    Version, or Kernel + Kernel Version, or something about what the device
    in question is supposed to be? For all we know, you're trying to plug a
    Trojan Condom into your usb port, which under usual conditions is
    expected to give the described behavior. If we had more information, we
    could probably identify that it was a known problem with Distro, Kernel,
    Product, and this is how you fix it (upgrade).

    Not having additional information or very good psychic abilities, I'd
    have to guess that your ham sandwich is too cold to register in the usb
    port. Just a guess though.

  4. Re: Device is not listed in /proc/bus/usb/devices

    joseph2k wrote:

    > Have you tried lsusb or usbview?

    lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

    usbview
    sh: usbview: command not found

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: Device is not listed in /proc/bus/usb/devices

    Shadow_7 wrote:

    > Not all devices register.

    > Of course it would help to have more information, like Distro + Distro
    > Version, or Kernel + Kernel Version, or something about what the device
    > in question is supposed to be?

    I am using Debian Etch (Kernel 2.6.18-4-486).

    The device is a USB bluetooth dongle, but it has no numbers or manufacturers
    name on, so I don't know anything about it.

    I wanted to see if I could somehow transfer files between my mobile phone (A
    Samsung D500) and my computer via bluetooth. I am hoping I can somehow mount
    the phones media directory so that it is visible via my computer.

    dmesg reveals the following, but I think this relates to the "bluetooth"
    package, rather than the dongle, because these message still appear with the
    dongle removed:

    Bluetooth: Core ver 2.10
    NET: Registered protocol family 31
    Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
    Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
    Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.8
    Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
    Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
    Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
    Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.8
    hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2
    hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --

    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  6. Re: Device is not listed in /proc/bus/usb/devices

    Mark Hobley wrote:

    > joseph2k wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried lsusb or usbview?

    > lsusb
    > Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    >
    > usbview
    > sh: usbview: command not found

    It is not installed by default and may not be supplied in the initial
    install package. try apt-get, otherwise Sourceforge.
    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**
    --Schiller

+ Reply to Thread