DVD-RAM from Linux not reading under Vista - Hardware

This is a discussion on DVD-RAM from Linux not reading under Vista - Hardware ; Just a comment for people who are still using Windows, I've found that files written under Linux don't appear under Vista. I think it has to do with the user/group IDs....

  1. DVD-RAM from Linux not reading under Vista

    Just a comment for people who are still using Windows,
    I've found that files written under Linux don't appear
    under Vista. I think it has to do with the user/group IDs.

  2. Re: DVD-RAM from Linux not reading under Vista

    Sparrow staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I've found that files written under Linux [to a DVD-RAM] don't appear
    > under Vista. I think it has to do with the user/group IDs.

    There's not enough information here to tell what's really going on.
    What filesystem was used on this DVD-RAM? UIDs and GIDs aren't always
    present on ISO9660 or UDF--and are usually all 0 if they're there at
    all. UIDs and GIDs aren't there at all in FAT, and are implemented
    totally differently in NTFS. For ext23, UIDs and GIDs have to be
    there--but the ext2ifs module for 'Doze ignores them.

    --
    Kimono dragon: found mainly on Pacific islands and atolls, this is the
    more dangerous version of the somewhat placid bathrobe gecko.

  3. Re: DVD-RAM from Linux not reading under Vista

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    <1184465263.389562.173830@m3g2000hsh.googlegroups.c om>, Sparrow wrote:

    >Just a comment for people who are still using Windows,
    >I've found that files written under Linux don't appear
    >under Vista. I think it has to do with the user/group IDs.

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 108104 Jan 27 21:57 Filesystems-HOWTO

    What file system are you using? Windoze understands microsoft file
    systems, and that's about it. If you are using a non-microsoft
    file format, such as EXT2, EXT3, XFS, or Reiser, windoze won't see
    anything there.

    Old guy

  4. Re: DVD-RAM from Linux not reading under Vista

    Den Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:38:24 -0500 skrev Moe Trin:

    > On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.hardware, in article
    > <1184465263.389562.173830@m3g2000hsh.googlegroups.c om>, Sparrow wrote:
    >
    >>Just a comment for people who are still using Windows,
    >>I've found that files written under Linux don't appear
    >>under Vista. I think it has to do with the user/group IDs.

    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 108104 Jan 27 21:57 Filesystems-HOWTO
    >
    > What file system are you using? Windoze understands microsoft file
    > systems, and that's about it. If you are using a non-microsoft
    > file format, such as EXT2, EXT3, XFS, or Reiser, windoze won't see
    > anything there.
    >
    > Old guy

    You can use Explore2fs for EXT2/3 in Windoze
    http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

    /Anders

+ Reply to Thread