microsoft natural 6000 wireless mouse - Hardware

This is a discussion on microsoft natural 6000 wireless mouse - Hardware ; Hi, has anyone managed to get this mouse working on a debian Etch, what is required and must you be root to do it? The reason is that I want to use this mouse in my workplace (as I find ...

  1. microsoft natural 6000 wireless mouse

    Hi, has anyone managed to get this mouse working on a debian Etch,
    what is required and must you be root to do it? The reason is that I
    want to use this mouse in my workplace (as I find I get RSIs with my
    present mouse) and I don't have root access there. If root access is
    required what needs to be done?
    Many thanks.

  2. Re: microsoft natural 6000 wireless mouse

    robcussons@o2.co.uk staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Has anyone managed to get this [Microsoft natural 6000] mouse working
    > on Debian Etch? What is required and must you be root to do it?

    Is this mouse USB? If so, it should use the usbhid module and should
    report events on /dev/input/mouseN as well as /dev/input/mice in either
    the IMPS/2 or EXPS/2 protocol. If it's not USB, say something; the rest
    of this message assumes it's USB.

    > want to use this mouse in my workplace and I don't have root there. If
    > root is required, what needs to be done?

    Make sure usbhid has been modprobed and usb_ohci or usb_uhci (depending
    on your USB1 chipset) has also been modprobed. Fix X's config file (
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) such that there's a mouse device defined for
    /dev/input/mouseN or /dev/input/mice and that it is using the
    appropriate protocol. It is strange that this didn't work immediately;
    when I plugged a USB mouse into my Gentoo system, it started working
    immediately even though I hadn't changed X's config file yet.

    --
    (o_ (o_ (o_ (o_
    //\ //\ //\ //\

  3. Re: microsoft natural 6000 wireless mouse

    On Jun 24, 5:09 pm, Dances With Crows
    wrote:
    > robcuss...@o2.co.uk staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >
    > > Has anyone managed to get this [Microsoft natural 6000] mouse working
    > > on Debian Etch? What is required and must you be root to do it?

    > Is this mouse USB? If so, it should use the usbhid module and should
    > report events on /dev/input/mouseN as well as /dev/input/mice in either
    > the IMPS/2 or EXPS/2 protocol. If it's not USB, say something; the rest
    > of this message assumes it's USB.

    It uses a USB wireless receiver

    > > want to use this mouse in my workplace and I don't have root there. If
    > > root is required, what needs to be done?

    > Make sure usbhid has been modprobed and usb_ohci or usb_uhci (depending
    > on your USB1 chipset) has also been modprobed. Fix X's config file (
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) such that there's a mouse device defined for
    > /dev/input/mouseN or /dev/input/mice and that it is using the
    > appropriate protocol.

    Ok, that all sounds like I need to be logged in as root, so I'll need
    to talk nicely
    to the sysadmin, is there anyway this can be done on a user-by-user
    basis as
    he might not want to do it for all users?

    > It is strange that this didn't work immediately;
    > when I plugged a USB mouse into my Gentoo system, it started working
    > immediately even though I hadn't changed X's config file yet.

    Sorry, I didn't make this clear I haven't tried this yet, I'm looking
    at buying one
    and want to know if it'll work before I shell out the cash.

    I actually have two systems to consider, both of which I would like to
    use this
    mouse on. I have a gentoo system at home, where of course I have root
    access
    and a debian system at work where I don't.

    Thanks for the help so far.

  4. Re: microsoft natural 6000 wireless mouse

    On 2007-06-24, robcussons@o2.co.uk wrote:

    > Hi, has anyone managed to get this mouse working on a debian Etch,
    > what is required and must you be root to do it? The reason is that I
    > want to use this mouse in my workplace (as I find I get RSIs with my
    > present mouse) and I don't have root access there. If root access is
    > required what needs to be done?

    I'd just plug it in. The chances it won't work are remote.

    BTW; what is a "natural" mouse? Is it furry, does it bite ? :-)

    Douglas Adams

  5. Re: microsoft natural 6000 wireless mouse

    robcussons@o2.co.uk staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> robcussons@o2 wrote:
    >>> Has anyone managed to get this [Microsoft natural 6000] mouse
    >>> working on Debian Etch?

    >> Is this mouse USB? If so, it should use the usbhid module

    > It uses a USB wireless receiver

    It almost certainly uses usbhid, then.

    >>> want to use this mouse in my workplace and I don't have root there.
    >>> If root is required, what needs to be done?

    >> Make sure usbhid has been modprobed and usb_ohci or usb_uhci
    >> (depending on your USB1 chipset) has also been modprobed. Fix X's
    >> config file ( /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) such that there's a mouse device
    >> defined for /dev/input/mouseN or /dev/input/mice

    > Ok, that all sounds like I need to be logged in as root, so I'll need
    > to talk nicely to the sysadmin. Is there anyway this can be done on a
    > user-by-user basis?

    Not AFAICT. I have no idea why any sane admin would want to deny access
    to a mouse device to any user, though. Mice aren't nearly as big of a
    security risk as storage devices or network adapters.

    >> It is strange that this didn't work immediately; when I plugged a USB
    >> mouse into my Gentoo system, it started working immediately even
    >> though I hadn't changed X's config file yet.

    > Sorry, I didn't make this clear I haven't tried this yet

    If you hadn't tried it yet, you should've said something.

    > I'm looking at buying one and want to know if it'll work before I
    > shell out the cash.

    Save the receipt just in case.

    --
    Jesus is the best radio producer in the beans. We need some saliva
    and pickles to get mad. --MegaHAL, "The Best of MegaHAL"