Faxing call discrimination - Hardware

This is a discussion on Faxing call discrimination - Hardware ; I wouild like to do occasional faxing, and after looking into it a questoin remains. I know of a modem card that works well under Linux, and would do this, using mgetty: -> DSL adapter -> NIC card wall phone ...

  1. Faxing call discrimination

    I wouild like to do occasional faxing, and after looking into it a
    questoin remains.

    I know of a modem card that works well under Linux, and would do this,
    using mgetty:

    -> DSL adapter -> NIC card
    wall phone jack -> DSL filter |
    -> PCI modem card -> phone

    Any problems in this setup?

    A question remains. Do PCI modem cards do call discrimation? Back in
    the '90s my Catseye card only rang the phone if the incoming call was
    voice, and data was sent to the printer. I don't see call
    discrimination mentioned in description of PCL modems.

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

  2. Re: Faxing call discrimination

    On Jun 21, 5:47 am, Haines Brown
    wrote:
    > I wouild like to do occasional faxing, and after looking into it a
    > questoin remains.
    >
    > I know of a modem card that works well under Linux, and would do this,
    > using mgetty:
    >
    > -> DSL adapter -> NIC card
    > wall phone jack -> DSL filter |
    > -> PCI modem card -> phone
    >
    > Any problems in this setup?

    Yup. If you hang that DSL filter between the wall jack and the DSL
    adaptor, then you filter out the DSL tones that the adaptor works
    with, and you don't get DSL. Better to use a splitter between the wall
    jack and the filter, like...

    .----------------> DSL adapter -> NIC card

    wall phone jack -==I

    '-> DSL filter --> PCI modem card -> phone

    > A question remains. Do PCI modem cards do call discrimation? Back in
    > the '90s my Catseye card only rang the phone if the incoming call was
    > voice, and data was sent to the printer. I don't see call
    > discrimination mentioned in description of PCL modems.

    Sorry, I can't help you there. IIUC, the only way that the modem can
    perform call discrimination is to actually answer the phone and test
    the audio for fax tones. That's more a driver/application software
    issue than a modem firmware issue, I would imagine.

  3. Re: Faxing call discrimination

    I demand that Lew Pitcher may or may not have written...

    > On Jun 21, 5:47 am, Haines Brown wrote:
    >> I wouild like to do occasional faxing, and after looking into it a
    >> question remains. I know of a modem card that works well under Linux, and
    >> would do this, using mgetty:
    >> -> DSL adapter -> NIC card
    >> wall phone jack -> DSL filter |
    >> -> PCI modem card -> phone
    >> Any problems in this setup?

    > Yup.

    No problems at all.

    > If you hang that DSL filter between the wall jack and the DSL adaptor, then
    > you filter out the DSL tones that the adaptor works with, and you don't get
    > DSL.

    Wrong, or you have single-output filters; every one that I've seen has two
    outputs, one of which is DSL (typically labelled "ADSL modem").

    > Better to use a splitter between the wall jack and the filter, like...

    > .----------------> DSL adapter -> NIC card
    > |
    > wall phone jack -==I
    > |
    > '-> DSL filter --> PCI modem card -> phone

    AFAICS, that means that (a) the DSL adapter is receiving both the analogue
    and digital signals, and (b) you have a spare socket on the filter.

    http://www.pctechguide.com/images/tu...SL_Filters.htm - applicable in
    the UK, at least; I'd imagine something similar applies elsewhere.

    BTW, both of you mean just "NIC", not "network interface card card" ;-)

    [snip]
    | + Output less CO2 => avoid boiling weather. TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

    It is not every question that deserves an answer.

  4. Re: Faxing call discrimination

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:47:46 +0000, Haines Brown wrote:

    > I wouild like to do occasional faxing, and after looking into it a
    > questoin remains.
    >
    > I know of a modem card that works well under Linux, and would do this,
    > using mgetty:
    >
    > -> DSL adapter -> NIC card
    > wall phone jack -> DSL filter |
    > -> PCI modem card -> phone
    >
    > Any problems in this setup?
    >
    > A question remains. Do PCI modem cards do call discrimation? Back in the
    > '90s my Catseye card only rang the phone if the incoming call was voice,
    > and data was sent to the printer. I don't see call discrimination
    > mentioned in description of PCL modems.

    I don't remember ever seeing a modem such as you describe, however, there
    was something close. Modems that are capable of distinguishing between
    distinctive ring tones. Those distinctive ring tones are sent by the telco
    and by paying extra for a fax number they can send one ringtone if a call
    comes in on the "fax" and a different ringtone if the call came to your
    "voice number". This is a way to use the one existing 2-wire line into
    your establishment, it does not require adding a complete second line and
    thus is less costly. And there are modems that can handle this, some stand
    alone fax machines can do it and you can option them to handle the call
    distribution.

    If you think about it, there aren't a lot of ways an electronic device
    could acceptably do what you want before the call was connected. If it
    connects and it was a person on the other end, they probably would not
    tolerate the screech which the modem has to use to communicate.

    My guess is that distinctive ring is the topic that you want to research.

    Rodney

  5. Re: Faxing call discrimination

    Rodney writes:

    > I don't remember ever seeing a modem such as you describe, however, there
    > was something close. Modems that are capable of distinguishing between
    > distinctive ring tones.

    No, Rodney, my modem definitely distinguished between voice and data
    in terms of its disposition of the message. My suggestion it was named
    Catseye is probably mistaken, for that seems to bave been a video card
    name. But I definitely remember the card and its ability. It finally
    went up in smoke when a big component that may have been a transformer
    began to cook.

    --

    Haines Brown, KB1GRM

+ Reply to Thread