test WP - Hardware

This is a discussion on test WP - Hardware ; When I connect laptop drives using a USB enclosure, I'm getting system messages as follows: Jun 18 11:20:18 linus kernel: sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled Jun 18 11:20:18 linus kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through This happens ...

  1. test WP

    When I connect laptop drives using a USB enclosure, I'm getting system
    messages as follows:

    Jun 18 11:20:18 linus kernel: sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
    Jun 18 11:20:18 linus kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through

    This happens on three drives from 3 different manufacturers. What does
    it mean?

    Bob T.

  2. Re: test WP

    Bob Tennent staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Jun 18 11:20:18 linus kernel: sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
    > Jun 18 11:20:18 linus kernel: sda: assuming drive cache: write through
    >
    > This happens on three drives from 3 different manufacturers. What does
    > it mean?

    It means the sd (SCSI disk) module tried to see whether Write-Protect
    was enabled or not, and could get no conclusive data. I don't think
    this is anything to be concerned about. HTH,

    --
    PIG: How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae
    my sea anemone enemy.