How good is Linux support for SATA PCI controllers? - Hardware

This is a discussion on How good is Linux support for SATA PCI controllers? - Hardware ; I want to put a cheap SATA controller in a Linux PC. I see a bunch of them on the market. How do I pick, other than by price? -- a d y k e s @ p a n ...

  1. How good is Linux support for SATA PCI controllers?

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

  2. Re: How good is Linux support for SATA PCI controllers?

    Al Dykes wrote:

    > I want to put a cheap SATA controller in a Linux PC. I see a bunch of
    > them on the market. How do I pick, other than by price?

    For cheap but works, I would be tempted to look at Silicon Image chip based
    cards, which many are.

    SATA-300 should do Native Command Queueing to disks that support it. SIL3124
    based cards have this feature.

    SATA-150 won't do NCQ, but the SIL3114 chip is fairly well supported (on
    paper at least).

    Do double check though - the above is untested knowledge!

    Cheers

    Tim

  3. Re: How good is Linux support for SATA PCI controllers?

    Tim S writes:

    > SATA-150 won't do NCQ, but the SIL3114 chip is fairly well supported (on
    > paper at least).

    Beware with SiI311x and certain Seagate disks though. They don't like
    each other.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  4. Re: How good is Linux support for SATA PCI controllers?

    Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > Tim S writes:
    >
    >> SATA-150 won't do NCQ, but the SIL3114 chip is fairly well supported (on
    >> paper at least).

    > Beware with SiI311x and certain Seagate disks though. They don't like
    > each other.

    Really - that's useful to know. Do you know if that includes the 7200.10
    series?

    Cheers

    Tim

  5. Re: How good is Linux support for SATA PCI controllers?

    Tim S writes:

    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    >> Tim S writes:
    >>
    >>> SATA-150 won't do NCQ, but the SIL3114 chip is fairly well supported (on
    >>> paper at least).

    >> Beware with SiI311x and certain Seagate disks though. They don't like
    >> each other.

    > Really - that's useful to know. Do you know if that includes the 7200.10
    > series?

    I don't think so. There's a list of known bad drives in
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...ata/sata_sil.c
    around line 140, although there could possibly be others. The problem
    was a firmware bug in the drives that was fixed at some point.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  6. Re: How good is Linux support for SATA PCI controllers?

    Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > Tim S writes:

    <...>
    >> Really - that's useful to know. Do you know if that includes the 7200.10
    >> series?

    > I don't think so. There's a list of known bad drives in

    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...ata/sata_sil.c
    > around line 140, although there could possibly be others. The problem
    > was a firmware bug in the drives that was fixed at some point.

    Cool - thanks Måns.

  7. Re: How good is Linux support for SATA PCI controllers?

    In article <466f9191$0$639$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>,
    Tim S wrote:
    >Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    >> Tim S writes:
    >>
    >>> SATA-150 won't do NCQ, but the SIL3114 chip is fairly well supported (on
    >>> paper at least).

    >> Beware with SiI311x and certain Seagate disks though. They don't like
    >> each other.
    >>

    >Really - that's useful to know. Do you know if that includes the 7200.10
    >series?
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Tim

    Are the seagate models and rev levels to be avoided documented
    anywhere?

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

  8. Re: How good is Linux support for SATA PCI controllers?

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 00:34:07 +0100 M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
    | Tim S writes:
    |
    |> SATA-150 won't do NCQ, but the SIL3114 chip is fairly well supported (on
    |> paper at least).
    |
    | Beware with SiI311x and certain Seagate disks though. They don't like
    | each other.

    I've even found Seagate disks that don't like EHCI.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2007-06-14-1540@ipal.net |

  9. Re: How good is Linux support for SATA PCI controllers?

    In article ,
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?= wrote:
    >Tim S writes:
    >
    >> SATA-150 won't do NCQ, but the SIL3114 chip is fairly well supported (on
    >> paper at least).

    >Beware with SiI311x and certain Seagate disks though. They don't like
    >each other.

    How does the Seagate-SIL problem show itself?

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m