ntfs - Hardware

This is a discussion on ntfs - Hardware ; Hi all, is it possible that playing around with ntfs-3g (like using wine) would damage your mainboard (or maybe the disk controller on the mainboard)? thanks ivan...

  1. ntfs

    Hi all,

    is it possible that playing around with ntfs-3g (like using wine) would
    damage your mainboard (or maybe the disk controller on the mainboard)?

    thanks
    ivan

  2. Re: ntfs

    Ivan staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Is it possible that playing around with ntfs-3g (like using wine)
    > would damage your mainboard (or maybe the disk controller on the
    > mainboard)?

    I don't think so. ntfs-3g uses the lowlevel IDE/SATA/SCSI disk drivers
    to write to or read from a disk--just like any other process. It's more
    likely for a disk or chip to fail due to overheating or being cheap.

    There is not enough info in your message to get a good diagnosis of
    anything and figure out what the real problem is, though. We'd need
    the motherboard make and model#, the name of the IDE/SATA/SCSI chipset
    in use as provided by lspci, the kernel version being used, and the
    exact text of any error messages to start diagnosing. HTH anyway,

    --
    There is not enough coffee in the world.
    --TimC in ASR

  3. Re: ntfs

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > I don't think so. ntfs-3g uses the lowlevel IDE/SATA/SCSI disk drivers
    > to write to or read from a disk--just like any other process. It's more
    > likely for a disk or chip to fail due to overheating or being cheap.

    it is all fairly new (few months)

    > There is not enough info in your message to get a good diagnosis of
    > anything and figure out what the real problem is, though. We'd need
    > the motherboard make and model#, the name of the IDE/SATA/SCSI chipset
    > in use as provided by lspci, the kernel version being used, and the
    > exact text of any error messages to start diagnosing. HTH anyway,

    Gigabyte GA-M55plus-SG3
    I tried different hard disks both IDE and SATA with the same problem
    here is the lspci output:

    00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev
    a1) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device b002
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 225
    I/O ports at 09f0 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 0bf0 [size=4]
    I/O ports at 0970 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 0b70 [size=4]
    I/O ports at d800 [size=16]
    Memory at f5107000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities:

    00:0f.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev
    a1) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device b002
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 233
    I/O ports at 09e0 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 0be0 [size=4]
    I/O ports at 0960 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 0b60 [size=4]
    I/O ports at c400 [size=16]
    Memory at f5106000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities:

    kernel 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i686

    Unfortunately there is no message, the symptom is that I am not able to
    install windows xp anymore, it stops at the first screen where the setup
    says that it is checking for the hw, it than goes blank and stays there...
    Here are the facts:
    - played around with ntfs-g3 and wine
    - had to re-install system (XP and FC6 in sequence)
    - found that XP damaged FAT on disk and could not read CDROM with XP
    - changed CDROM but got problem above mentioned
    - changed HD but same problem
    FC6 installs and runs perfectly, XP either scrambles my FAT or does not
    start at all.

    any ideas?
    thanks
    ivan

  4. Re: ntfs

    On 2007-06-11, Ivan wrote:

    > is it possible that playing around with ntfs-3g (like using wine) would
    > damage your mainboard (or maybe the disk controller on the mainboard)?

    No. The worst you could expect is filesystem corruption if you happened
    to run into an undocumented ntfs feature the ntfs-3g team has not yet
    identified and reverse-engineered.

    That said, my experience with ntfs-3g has been nothing but good.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  5. Re: ntfs

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Ivan wrote:

    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think so. ntfs-3g uses the lowlevel IDE/SATA/SCSI disk drivers
    >> to write to or read from a disk--just like any other process. It's more
    >> likely for a disk or chip to fail due to overheating or being cheap.

    > it is all fairly new (few months)
    >>
    >> There is not enough info in your message to get a good diagnosis of
    >> anything and figure out what the real problem is, though. We'd need
    >> the motherboard make and model#, the name of the IDE/SATA/SCSI chipset
    >> in use as provided by lspci, the kernel version being used, and the
    >> exact text of any error messages to start diagnosing. HTH anyway,
    >>

    > Gigabyte GA-M55plus-SG3
    > I tried different hard disks both IDE and SATA with the same problem
    > here is the lspci output:
    >
    > 00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev
    > a1) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
    > Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device b002
    > Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 225
    > I/O ports at 09f0 [size=8]
    > I/O ports at 0bf0 [size=4]
    > I/O ports at 0970 [size=8]
    > I/O ports at 0b70 [size=4]
    > I/O ports at d800 [size=16]
    > Memory at f5107000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    > Capabilities:
    >
    > 00:0f.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev
    > a1) (prog-if 85 [Master SecO PriO])
    > Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device b002
    > Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 233
    > I/O ports at 09e0 [size=8]
    > I/O ports at 0be0 [size=4]
    > I/O ports at 0960 [size=8]
    > I/O ports at 0b60 [size=4]
    > I/O ports at c400 [size=16]
    > Memory at f5106000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    > Capabilities:
    >
    > kernel 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i686
    >
    > Unfortunately there is no message, the symptom is that I am not able to
    > install windows xp anymore, it stops at the first screen where the setup
    > says that it is checking for the hw, it than goes blank and stays there...
    > Here are the facts:
    > - played around with ntfs-g3 and wine
    > - had to re-install system (XP and FC6 in sequence)
    > - found that XP damaged FAT on disk and could not read CDROM with XP
    > - changed CDROM but got problem above mentioned
    > - changed HD but same problem
    > FC6 installs and runs perfectly, XP either scrambles my FAT or does not
    > start at all.
    >
    > any ideas?

    Run memtest86+ and fully check the RAM.

  6. Re: ntfs

    Whoever wrote:

    > Run memtest86+ and fully check the RAM.

    ok I will try this...

  7. Re: ntfs

    Whoever wrote:

    > Run memtest86+ and fully check the RAM.

    ok I did this and the RAM is ok...

    Any more ideas?

  8. Re: ntfs

    Ivan writes:

    > Whoever wrote:
    >

    >> Run memtest86+ and fully check the RAM.

    > ok I did this and the RAM is ok...
    >
    > Any more ideas?

    Remove/replace one part at a time until you find the culprit.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

+ Reply to Thread