Command mt - Hardware

This is a discussion on Command mt - Hardware ; Hello, >From my server (Ubuntu V7.04), I handle a tape recorder via SCSI. The commande Code: mt -f /dev/nst0 works fine until I eject the recorde. I eject the recorder via the command [code]mt -f /dev/nst0 eject[/ code] or via ...

  1. Command mt

    Hello,

    >From my server (Ubuntu V7.04), I handle a tape recorder via SCSI.

    The commande
    Code:
    mt -f /dev/nst0
    works fine until I
    eject the recorde.

    I eject the recorder via the command [code]mt -f /dev/nst0 eject[/
    code] or via the hard button.

    Then, when I put an other recorder, I've this :
    Code:
    mt -f /dev/nst0 status
    mt : no such device or address
    After a reboot, all works correctely...

    Is somebody can hel me on this topic ?
    Thank you.

  2. Re: Command mt

    pierre.duot@gmail.com staggered into the Black Sun and said:

    Please don't use BBCode on Usenet. Fixed:

    > Ubuntu V7.04, I handle a tape recorder via SCSI. "mt -f /dev/nst0
    > " works fine until I eject the [tape]. I [use] "mt -f
    > /dev/nst0 eject" or the button.
    >
    > Then, when I put an other recorder

    You mean "another tape", right? What you wrote means "another tape
    drive". Ecrivez en francais si vous preferez, je peux le lire.
    (desolee, slrn n'aime pas les accents.)

    > mt -f /dev/nst0 status
    > mt : no such device or address
    > After a reboot, all works correctly. [Can] somebody help me on this
    > topic?

    What does dmesg say about the SCSI subsystem and the tape drive? If you
    really plugged another tape drive in, did you do "echo
    scsi-add-single-device X Y Z W > /proc/scsi/scsi", replacing X, Y, Z,
    and W with the host, bus, ID, and LUN of the new drive you plugged in?
    The drive could be doing weird things when a tape's been ejected, or
    possibly the st module may get rmmod'ed for some reason. Make sure st
    is present in lsmod's output after you've ejected a tape. Oh well, HTH
    anyway,

    --
    I have had to deal with kangaroos, donkeys, cows, wild pigs
    and some press leaks by former Vice President Cheney.

  3. Re: Command mt

    On 11 juin, 17:02, Dances With Crows
    wrote:
    > pierre.d...@gmail.com staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >
    > Please don't use BBCode on Usenet. Fixed:
    >
    > > Ubuntu V7.04, I handle a tape recorder via SCSI. "mt -f /dev/nst0
    > > " works fine until I eject the [tape]. I [use] "mt -f
    > > /dev/nst0 eject" or the button.

    > > Then, when I put an other recorder

    > You mean "another tape", right? What you wrote means "another tape
    > drive". Ecrivez en francais si vous preferez, je peux le lire.
    > (desolee, slrn n'aime pas les accents.)
    >
    > > mt -f /dev/nst0 status
    > > mt : no such device or address
    > > After a reboot, all works correctly. [Can] somebody help me on this
    > > topic?

    > What does dmesg say about the SCSI subsystem and the tape drive? If you
    > really plugged another tape drive in, did you do "echo
    > scsi-add-single-device X Y Z W > /proc/scsi/scsi", replacing X, Y, Z,
    > and W with the host, bus, ID, and LUN of the new drive you plugged in?
    > The drive could be doing weird things when a tape's been ejected, or
    > possibly the st module may get rmmod'ed for some reason. Make sure st
    > is present in lsmod's output after you've ejected a tape. Oh well, HTH
    > anyway,
    >
    > --
    > I have had to deal with kangaroos, donkeys, cows, wild pigs
    > and some press leaks by former Vice President Cheney.
    > --MegaHAL, trained on ASR
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

    Hello,

    I tried to use scsi-add-single-device 0 1 6 0 > /proc/scsi/scsi" or
    remove then add but without success.

    Here is what I have :
    /proc/scsi/scsi after reboot
    ---------------------------------------
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 01 Id: 06 Lun: 00
    Vendor: SEAGATE Model: DAT 9SP40-000 Rev: 912L
    Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: SAMSUNG Model: CD-ROM SC-148A Rev: B409
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05
    Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: ATA Model: Maxtor 6L080M0 Rev: BANC
    Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: ATA Model: Maxtor 6L160M0 Rev: BACE

    root# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
    ---------------------------------------
    drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
    drive status = 637534720
    sense key error = 0
    residue count = 0
    file number = 0
    block number = 0
    Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x26 (unknown).
    Soft error count since last status=0
    General status bits on (41010000):
    BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

    root# mt -f /dev/nst0 eject
    root# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
    mt: /dev/nst0: Input/output error
    ------> Normal !

    -----> Insert tape (the same I ejected)

    root# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    -------------------------
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 01 Id: 06 Lun: 00
    Vendor: SEAGATE Model: DAT 9SP40-000 Rev: 912L
    Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: SAMSUNG Model: CD-ROM SC-148A Rev: B409
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05
    Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: ATA Model: Maxtor 6L080M0 Rev: BANC
    Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: ATA Model: Maxtor 6L160M0 Rev: BACE

    root# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
    ----------------------------
    mt: /dev/nst0: No such device or address

    ------> Here, the solution is to boot the server !!!!

    My lsmod :
    -----------------
    sg 35996 0
    sr_mod 17060 0
    st 40092 0
    sd_mod 23300 5
    cdrom 37536 1 sr_mod
    generic 5124 0 [permanent]
    ahci 22148 0
    ata_generic 9092 0
    atp870u 32768 0
    e1000 126528 0
    ehci_hcd 34572 0
    ata_piix 15620 3
    libata 125848 3 ahci,ata_generic,ata_piix
    uhci_hcd 25488 0
    usbcore 134408 3 ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
    scsi_mod 142220 6 sg,sr_mod,st,sd_mod,atp870u,libata
    thermal 14856 0

    Thank you for your help

+ Reply to Thread