detecting ISA card? - Hardware

This is a discussion on detecting ISA card? - Hardware ; Hi, I put ISA card with UART chipset... but It didn't detected by linux kernel... When I run 'cat /proc/isapnp' , it don't have anyting about ISA card with UART. and when I run "dmesg | grep isapnp" it says ...

  1. detecting ISA card?

    Hi,
    I put ISA card with UART chipset... but It didn't detected by linux
    kernel...

    When I run 'cat /proc/isapnp' , it don't have anyting about ISA card
    with UART.

    and when I run "dmesg | grep isapnp" it says "isapnp: No Plug & Plug
    card found"

    I think linux kernel can able to detected ISA card at least even
    though it doesn't work...
    ( I installed Redhat 7.3 )

    to detected it, what can I do?

    Thanks..

  2. Re: detecting ISA card?

    "google-rambo88" wrote:
    > and when I run "dmesg | grep isapnp" it says "isapnp: No Plug & Plug
    > card found"

    Did you expect the ISA card to be PnP? Maybe it should be configured with
    jumpers instead?

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: detecting ISA card?

    I did like that... I short and open jumper when I reboot linux box...
    but it didn't detected ISA card...

    ( it works well on Windows... but linux )

    my ISA card is moxa C104H with 16C550 UART chip...

    I have another ISA serial card ... it don't have any jumpers...
    Is there another tool or command to detect ISA card?

    Thanks .

    "Henrik Carlqvist" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.06.11.05.45.16.395200@deadspam.com...
    > "google-rambo88" wrote:
    > > and when I run "dmesg | grep isapnp" it says "isapnp: No Plug & Plug
    > > card found"

    > Did you expect the ISA card to be PnP? Maybe it should be configured with
    > jumpers instead?
    >
    > regards Henrik
    > --
    > The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
    > hc1(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
    > root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  4. Re: detecting ISA card?

    "google-rambo88" wrote:
    > I did like that... I short and open jumper when I reboot linux box... but
    > it didn't detected ISA card...

    So you have some jumpers and you know how to set them? Then use those
    jumers to select an unused address and an unused irq. I also suppose that
    you can see what kind of uart the card has?

    If you set your jumpers to address 0x3F8 and irq 4 (known as COM1: in DOS)
    you can use setserial with a command something like this to make the port
    useful:

    setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart 16450 port 0x3F8 irq 4

    If you choose another address or irq or want to assign the port to
    something else than ttyS0 adjust the row above. For more info see:

    man setserial

    And of course, the Serial-HOWTO

    Also make sure that you have a kernel with support for serial ports
    compiled in or the right module loaded.

    As your kernel does not detect your port it is probably not configured as
    above. A kernel with configured with serial port support should find at
    least the first two standard COM1: and COM2: at

    /dev/ttyS0 uart 16450 port 0x3F8 irq 4
    /dev/ttyS1 uart 16450 port 0x2F8 irq 3

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  5. Re: detecting ISA card?

    google-rambo88 wrote:

    > I did like that... I short and open jumper when I reboot linux box...
    > but it didn't detected ISA card...
    >
    > ( it works well on Windows... but linux )
    >
    > my ISA card is moxa C104H with 16C550 UART chip...
    >

    > I have another ISA serial card ... it don't have any jumpers...
    > Is there another tool or command to detect ISA card?

    Try writing down the I/O settings it uses under Windows and set the card to
    use the same addresses with setserial.

    --
    Lasse Jensen [fafler at g mail dot com]
    Linux, the choice of a GNU generation.