Help: About Linux Server - Hardware

This is a discussion on Help: About Linux Server - Hardware ; Hello, I'm a college student, and wanna build a small Linux server for me, just in home. And I choose AMD Opteron 146 as my processor. However, I don't know how to choose other device, including RAM, Motherboard, HD and ...

  1. Help: About Linux Server

    Hello,

    I'm a college student, and wanna build a small Linux server for me, just
    in home. And I choose AMD Opteron 146 as my processor. However, I don't
    know how to choose other device, including RAM, Motherboard, HD and so on.
    And I'm sure that RAM is 2GB.

    Could you tell me which Linux OS should I use and how to choose other
    computer devices?

    Thanks in advance!

    Amy Lee

  2. Re: Help: About Linux Server

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 20:34:48 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a college student, and wanna build a small Linux server for me, just
    > in home. And I choose AMD Opteron 146 as my processor. However, I don't
    > know how to choose other device, including RAM, Motherboard, HD and so
    > on. And I'm sure that RAM is 2GB.
    >
    > Could you tell me which Linux OS should I use and how to choose other
    > computer devices?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Amy Lee

    I like MSI motherboards. I have a couple of A64 systems with different
    generations of Nforce chipsets, they've given me zero problems and
    they've always been 100% Linux compatible. You should avoid ABIT
    motherboards, I have a Core2 system with an ABIT motherboard and it's
    riddled with Linux incompatibilities. I also built another system with an
    X2 3800+ and an ABIT Nforce4 motherboard and that also had a few Linux
    issues, that system was meant to be an XP box so they Linux problems
    didn't matter in the long run, but I'll never buy another ABIT product.

    The best place to look for motherboards is on the NewEgg website. They
    have an excellent search feature which will allow you to find the boards
    that have the features that you want. They also have customer reviews for
    everything they sell, you should search those reviews for the word Linux.
    You'll be able to tell if other people have had any compatibility
    problems with the board. If Linux isn't mentioned in the reviews for a
    particular board then look at a different board. BTW I can't say enough
    nice things about NewEgg. I've bought a lot of stuff from them, generally
    if I order it in the evening it's on my doorstep the next morning even
    though I always select the 3 day shipping option (sometimes it does take
    3 days). I've also had a very good experience with their handling of
    things that didn't work. I bought a USB wireless adapter that was
    supposed to be Linux compatible. When I got it I couldn't make it work.
    Newegg credited me with the price of the thing and I didn't have to send
    it back (it was only $20, I'm sure they would have wanted a $150
    component back).

    The Opteron 146 is a socket 939 part, is there any reason that you have
    chosen it? If you haven't bought the processor already then you should
    choose a different processor. Either a socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 or an
    Intel Core2 Duo would be a better choice. The socket 939 parts use DDR
    RAM which is obsolete, the X2 and Core2 use DDR2 RAM which is the current
    generation of RAM. DDR2 RAM is considerable cheaper than DDR RAM. Newegg
    is selling 2G of DDR2 for as little as $62, the cheapest DDR RAM is $110
    for 2G. You can also buy larger DIMMs for DDR2. A DDR2 system can hold 8G
    of RAM, a DDR system can only hold 4G.

    Linux Distros are a matter of taste. I use Fedora and Cent0S (the free
    clone of Redhat Enterprise Linux). For desktop use Fedora is better, it
    has more features and it's more up to date. For servers CentOS is better,
    it has greater compatibility with commercial software and it's supported
    for a much longer time.

+ Reply to Thread