Redhat9 after upgrade keyboard doesn't work at graphical login - Hardware

This is a discussion on Redhat9 after upgrade keyboard doesn't work at graphical login - Hardware ; My Redhat9 system (Why RH9? it's a local server and working-on-linux box that I've had for many years) suffered a loose HDD cable which resulted in serious damage to various file systems, especially /usr. I applied an upgrade-over-the-top from the ...

  1. Redhat9 after upgrade keyboard doesn't work at graphical login

    My Redhat9 system (Why RH9? it's a local server and working-on-linux box
    that I've had for many years) suffered a loose HDD cable which resulted
    in serious damage to various file systems, especially /usr.

    I applied an upgrade-over-the-top from the original RH9 CDs, and most of
    the machine is
    working. httpd is missing a support library (libgd) for mod_php - I
    haven't even tried to address this yet.

    More serious is the keyboard in the graphical login screen. It works
    fine (up to a point, see below) in text mode, but at the graphical login
    screen, typing any key flicks between screen resolutions instead of
    filling in the user name field. The only key sequence that works as
    expected is Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

    One limitation of the keyboard is that the machine shares a
    screen/keyboard/mouse with a Windows 2000 box via a two-port Belkin
    Omnicube. When switching back to Windows 2000, even from Linux text
    mode, the mouse (always) and keyboard (sometimes) misbehaves in Windows.
    It didn't do this before the disaster.

    What have I missed? X is XFree86 4.3.0.

    The machine:

    P3-500 (Katmai) on an Intel 440-BX chipset.
    320MB RAM
    Voodoo3 3000 16MB PCI Graphics
    3.5 FDD
    No sound card
    Hard disks etc:
    --- 440BX IDE
    hda: 20GB Fujitsu
    hdb: 13GB Maxtor
    hdc: 52x CD-ROM drive
    --- Highpoint HPT-366
    hde: 3.2GB Quantum Fireball
    Dynamode ISAPNP 56K modem
    Netgear FA310TX (tulip) 10/100 Ethernet

    Any hints on what might be causing this, how to fix it, what further
    information you might need, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

    --
    SteveR
    (throw away the dustbin, send to stever@... instead)

    This was found in family papers throughout the US:
    http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/sho...e=Judge_Parker

    - This is hopeless, Mr Parker...I'm a complete klutz!

    - No, you're not, April, you've almost got it!

    - Okay...now what do I do?

    - Work them like a claw...and call me Randy!

    http://www.accidentalcreditor.org.uk/

  2. Re: Redhat9 after upgrade keyboard doesn't work at graphical login

    In news:9FfZN6AAr9aGJwdp@grandfathersaxe.demon.co.uk,
    SteveR wrote:

    > More serious is the keyboard in the graphical login screen. It works
    > fine (up to a point, see below) in text mode, but at the graphical
    > login screen, typing any key flicks between screen resolutions
    > instead of filling in the user name field. The only key sequence
    > that works as expected is Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
    >
    > One limitation of the keyboard is that the machine shares a
    > screen/keyboard/mouse with a Windows 2000 box via a two-port Belkin
    > Omnicube. ...
    >
    > What have I missed? X is XFree86 4.3.0.

    > Any hints on what might be causing this, how to fix it, what further
    > information you might need, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

    Does it work w/o the "Omnicube"?

  3. Re: Redhat9 after upgrade keyboard doesn't work at graphical login

    ynotssor writes:
    >In news:9FfZN6AAr9aGJwdp@grandfathersaxe.demon.co.uk,
    >SteveR wrote:
    >
    >> More serious is the keyboard in the graphical login screen. It works
    >> fine (up to a point, see below) in text mode, but at the graphical
    >> login screen, typing any key flicks between screen resolutions
    >> instead of filling in the user name field. The only key sequence
    >> that works as expected is Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.
    >>
    >> One limitation of the keyboard is that the machine shares a
    >> screen/keyboard/mouse with a Windows 2000 box via a two-port Belkin
    >> Omnicube. ...
    >>
    >> What have I missed? X is XFree86 4.3.0.

    >> Any hints on what might be causing this, how to fix it, what further
    >> information you might need, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

    >Does it work w/o the "Omnicube"?

    No, that was the first thing I tried. I also disabled the mouse in case
    that was it.

    I am really puzzled by this as I have never had any trouble with this
    set up before.

    --
    SteveR
    (throw away the dustbin, send to stever@... instead)

    This was found in family papers throughout the US:
    http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/sho...e=Judge_Parker

    - This is hopeless, Mr Parker...I'm a complete klutz!

    - No, you're not, April, you've almost got it!

    - Okay...now what do I do?

    - Work them like a claw...and call me Randy!

    http://www.accidentalcreditor.org.uk/

+ Reply to Thread