I'm building some software that will generate high definition video frames
and accompanying audio. I want to then play out this video so that it can
be recorded using broadcast grade HD video recorders. I do not need sync
genlock. But I do need spec-correct HD video output. Maybe a graphics card
can do this. But it needs to get the timing spot-on. I'm guessing once
that much is right, it wouldn't take too much to get the analog output to
a VGA monitor tweaked with a little circuitry to the video levels found in
HD component analog video.

One issue I see is bandwidth. That's a lot of data to deliver either at
720p or 1080i. And I need to be able to produce both kinds of output.
I'm looking for a video card that can deliver this kind of video. I'd
expect it will need something like an 8 lane PCI Express bus, a hot dual
core 64 bit machine at 3 GHz or so, and nothing else running on it at the
time of playout. It will be reading from a SATA disk as it dumps all the
video out.

The program generating the video will be doing so much more slowly and
saving it on disk. A 1 minute video clip might take a couple days to
generate. But it needs to play out out in exactly that 1 minute.

One other thing is that the frame rates must be in sync. That is, there
cannot be any frame pushed out by the software that gets skipped or even
duplicated by the hardware. I do not need genlocking (as the playout is
only for the purpose of being recorded). But I do need frame-correct
sync between software and hardware.

And it needs to work under Linux. Binary drivers are OK. Or non-NDA
specs are OK as I could write the driver.

What's the best way to accomplish that?

What do computer based high-definition video editing systems use?

| first name lower case at ipal.net / spamtrap-2007-06-07-2211@ipal.net |