Frame grabber question - Hardware

This is a discussion on Frame grabber question - Hardware ; I have a Frame grabber based on the Conexant Fusion 878A (bt848, bt878 compatible). I want to capture still frames from the analog video input. I read the data sheet and it mentions "VBI Frame Output Mode". It says this ...

  1. Frame grabber question

    I have a Frame grabber based on the Conexant Fusion 878A (bt848, bt878
    compatible).

    I want to capture still frames from the analog video input.
    I read the data sheet and it mentions "VBI Frame Output Mode". It
    says this mode is designed for use with still frame capture/processing
    applications ... This feature can be used to provide a high quality
    still-capture of video."

    Does anyone know about this mode. I can't find any more information
    on it anywhere. I have studied the Linux kernel's bttv driver and
    Video 4 Linux Two API (VFL2) which mentions a VBI Capture mode. They
    also distinguish between 'Raw VBI' and 'Sliced VBI'.

    I realize VBI is traditionally used for RDS and Teletext etc, but the
    878A data sheet says ...
    In addition, the Fusion 878A supports a VBI Frame Output Mode in
    which every line in the video frame is treated
    as if it were a VBI line ... and ...
    In the VBI frame output mode, VBI data capture occurs in the
    active video region and includes all the horizontal
    blank/sync information in the data stream.

    Can anyone offer any explanations or links to help me write a Linux
    style device driver for my frame grabber board?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Frame grabber question

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 01:27:49 -0700, duncan.perrett wrote:

    > I have a Frame grabber based on the Conexant Fusion 878A (bt848, bt878
    > compatible).
    >
    > I want to capture still frames from the analog video input. I read the
    > data sheet and it mentions "VBI Frame Output Mode". It says this mode
    > is designed for use with still frame capture/processing applications ...
    > This feature can be used to provide a high quality still-capture of
    > video."
    >
    > Does anyone know about this mode. I can't find any more information on
    > it anywhere. I have studied the Linux kernel's bttv driver and Video 4
    > Linux Two API (VFL2) which mentions a VBI Capture mode. They also
    > distinguish between 'Raw VBI' and 'Sliced VBI'.
    >
    > I realize VBI is traditionally used for RDS and Teletext etc, but the
    > 878A data sheet says ...
    > In addition, the Fusion 878A supports a VBI Frame Output Mode in
    > which every line in the video frame is treated
    > as if it were a VBI line ... and ...
    > In the VBI frame output mode, VBI data capture occurs in the
    > active video region and includes all the horizontal
    > blank/sync information in the data stream.
    >
    > Can anyone offer any explanations or links to help me write a Linux
    > style device driver for my frame grabber board?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hello,
    you should ask this question on the v4l mailing-list (see http://
    www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Main_Page).
    You will have answers from the driver developers that know the BT878
    internals.
    Regards,
    Thierry

+ Reply to Thread