SCSI scanner not recognized - Hardware

This is a discussion on SCSI scanner not recognized - Hardware ; When I was running Mandrake 9.0 with a 2.4 kernel, a BusLogic SCSI adapter and my ASUS 1200S scanner, then everything just worked. My SCSI tape drive, SCSI hard drives, SCSI CD-ROM drive, SCSI CD-R/W drive, and my externally connected ...

  1. SCSI scanner not recognized

    When I was running Mandrake 9.0 with a 2.4 kernel, a BusLogic
    SCSI adapter and my ASUS 1200S scanner, then everything just
    worked. My SCSI tape drive, SCSI hard drives, SCSI CD-ROM drive,
    SCSI CD-R/W drive, and my externally connected SCSI scanner all
    worked.

    Then I upgraded to Mandrake 2005LE and nothing SCSI was
    recognized. After some USENET searching and posting I replaced
    my BusLogic adapter with an Adaptec 19160B Ultra160 SCSI adapter.
    After a Mandrake 2005LE reinstall my internal SCSI devices were
    again recognized. The scanner didn't work though. I'm running
    Mandriva 2007.0 now, and the external SCSI scanner still isn't
    recognized by Linux. I'm running kernel version 2.6.17. My
    internal SCSI devices are recognized

    # cdrecord -scanbus
    Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01.01a11 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) \
    1995-2006 J�g Schilling
    Linux sg driver version: 3.5.33
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) *
    0,1,0 1) 'COMPAQ ' 'CRD-254V ' '1.06' Removable CD-ROM
    0,2,0 2) *
    0,3,0 3) *
    0,4,0 4) *
    0,5,0 5) 'HP ' 'HP35470A ' 'T503' Removable Tape
    0,6,0 6) *
    0,7,0 7) *

    When I boot my system, before I get to the LILO boot menu, I see
    SCSI probing diagnostic messages which indicate that somewhere
    (at the BIOS level?) the scanner is correctly recognized.

    How can I get my scanner recognized again? I'd rather not have
    to buy another scanner, presuming now that if I got a USB unit
    that it would work.

    Thanks...

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  2. Re: SCSI scanner not recognized

    nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote:
    > When I boot my system, before I get to the LILO boot menu, I see
    > SCSI probing diagnostic messages which indicate that somewhere
    > (at the BIOS level?) the scanner is correctly recognized.
    >
    > How can I get my scanner recognized again?

    Maybe the following would help:

    modprobe sg

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  3. Re: SCSI scanner not recognized

    In article , Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > When I was running Mandrake 9.0 with a 2.4 kernel, a BusLogic
    > SCSI adapter and my ASUS 1200S scanner, then everything just
    > worked. My SCSI tape drive, SCSI hard drives, SCSI CD-ROM drive,
    > SCSI CD-R/W drive, and my externally connected SCSI scanner all
    > worked.

    A few ideas to ponder..
    1. are all of your devices on the 50 pin bus? or are you using some 50
    pin and some 68 pin devices?
    2. Did you terminate the two ends of the chain. ie: termination
    on the scanner and termination on the last drive. If so, did you make
    sure that the card itself did not have termination enabled, My
    aha2940uw card have a 68 pin external connector, are you using cables
    that provide high byte Active termination?
    Since you were using at one time, quite well, a buslogic scsi
    host adaptor. Do you know what scsi driver it used? If you could find
    the same driver couldn't you still use it? You may need to either put
    it into a initrd image or directly into your linux kernal to get your
    scsi Hds to boot up your Linux system.
    When you go the Adaptec's bios utility (Control-a, when
    booting) does it show the scanner when doing a device scan? If it does
    then it may be a software problem if it isn't termination or cable
    setup issues.

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org

  4. Re: SCSI scanner not recognized

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 10:31:15 -0400, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > again recognized. The scanner didn't work though. I'm running
    > Mandriva 2007.0 now, and the external SCSI scanner still isn't
    > recognized by Linux. I'm running kernel version 2.6.17. My
    > internal SCSI devices are recognized

    What does "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" show? Have you checked that the
    device is properly terminating the scsi bus?

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: SCSI scanner not recognized

    Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > When I was running Mandrake 9.0 with a 2.4 kernel, a BusLogic
    > SCSI adapter and my ASUS 1200S scanner,

    I've never had a SCSI scanner, only parallel port and USB. If SCSI
    scanners don't have firmware downloads, please ignore this.

    Google doesn't seem to want to tell me about an ASUS 1200S scanner. Lots
    of UMAX 1200S scanners and Epson 1200S scanners on machines with ASUS
    motherboards. Is the ASUS scanner a rebadged UMAX thingy?

    Because I had a UMAX scanner once, it didn't work until I had SANE
    download some firmware to the scanner.

    Could you have had that on your old OS, installed it long enough ago
    that it doesn't spring to mind?

    You can reboot the PC, power it off, reinstall the OS and the scanner
    could still work if it has the firmware. Then you power the scanner down
    and it stops working.

    I upgraded the OS on my mother's PC once, without having to find
    firmware for her scanner. Mandriva picked up the scanner automatically,
    and it just worked. PC was powered off after use, sometimes for days. No
    problem to the scanner. BUT: some weeks later, there was a power
    failure. Then the scanner stopped working. The reason? The scanner was
    plugged into the mains, even though the PC was off. Even when it went to
    sleep, the firmware that had been installed some months before (that had
    been put in the previous Mandriva a year or more before. and forgotten
    about) stayed intact.

    Apologies if you have already checked for scanner firmware, but if not,
    it's something else to consider.

    fp

  6. Re: SCSI scanner not recognized

    Frank Peelo wrote:
    > Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > > When I was running Mandrake 9.0 with a 2.4 kernel, a BusLogic
    > > SCSI adapter and my ASUS 1200S scanner,

    > I've never had a SCSI scanner, only parallel port and USB. If SCSI
    > scanners don't have firmware downloads, please ignore this.
    >
    > Google doesn't seem to want to tell me about an ASUS 1200S scanner. Lots
    > of UMAX 1200S scanners and Epson 1200S scanners on machines with ASUS
    > motherboards. Is the ASUS scanner a rebadged UMAX thingy?

    I'm sorry, that's my bad memory. It is a UMAX 1200S.

    > Because I had a UMAX scanner once, it didn't work until I had SANE
    > download some firmware to the scanner.

    I've never done that. I guess that might be the problem. But if it is,
    then it's odd to me that the BIOS detects it just fine, and the same
    SCSI card worked well with it on a previous version of Mandrake.

    > Could you have had that on your old OS, installed it long enough ago
    > that it doesn't spring to mind?

    Nope, I never even knew that the firmware could be upgraded on that.

    > You can reboot the PC, power it off, reinstall the OS and the scanner
    > could still work if it has the firmware. Then you power the scanner down
    > and it stops working.
    >
    > I upgraded the OS on my mother's PC once, without having to find
    > firmware for her scanner. Mandriva picked up the scanner automatically,
    > and it just worked. PC was powered off after use, sometimes for days. No
    > problem to the scanner. BUT: some weeks later, there was a power
    > failure. Then the scanner stopped working. The reason? The scanner was
    > plugged into the mains, even though the PC was off. Even when it went to
    > sleep, the firmware that had been installed some months before (that had
    > been put in the previous Mandriva a year or more before. and forgotten
    > about) stayed intact.

    I've frequently power cycled the scanner. Most of the time it's off
    since I use it rarely.

    > Apologies if you have already checked for scanner firmware, but if not,
    > it's something else to consider.

    Thanks!

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  7. Re: SCSI scanner not recognized

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 10:31:15 -0400, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >
    > > again recognized. The scanner didn't work though. I'm running
    > > Mandriva 2007.0 now, and the external SCSI scanner still isn't
    > > recognized by Linux. I'm running kernel version 2.6.17. My
    > > internal SCSI devices are recognized

    > What does "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" show? Have you checked that the
    > device is properly terminating the scsi bus?

    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
    Vendor: HP Model: CD-Writer+ 9200 Rev: 1.0e
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 04

    Cheers....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  8. Re: SCSI scanner not recognized

    On 7 Jun at 15:37 nobody@tek.com (Kevin the Drummer) wrote in message

    > Frank Peelo wrote:
    > > Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    > > > When I was running Mandrake 9.0 with a 2.4 kernel, a BusLogic SCSI
    > > > adapter and my ASUS 1200S scanner,

    > > I've never had a SCSI scanner, only parallel port and USB. If SCSI
    > > scanners don't have firmware downloads, please ignore this.
    > >
    > > Google doesn't seem to want to tell me about an ASUS 1200S scanner. Lots
    > > of UMAX 1200S scanners and Epson 1200S scanners on machines with ASUS
    > > motherboards. Is the ASUS scanner a rebadged UMAX thingy?

    > I'm sorry, that's my bad memory. It is a UMAX 1200S.

    Well, there is hope for you yet . I have a UMAX 1200sc working just fine
    with SCSI under MDV 2007.0 (and previously under 2006.0 and 10.x). However,
    I haven't followed the thread so far, so I don't know what your specific
    problem is

    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
    Vendor: DELL Model: 1x6 U2W SCSI BP Rev: 1.28
    Type: Processor ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 01 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD0 RAID1 17278R Rev: 1.63
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 01 Id: 01 Lun: 00
    Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD1 RAID1 17278R Rev: 1.63
    Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
    Vendor: UMAX Model: Astra 2200 Rev: V2.2
    Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: Seagate Model: STT20000A Rev: 8A51
    Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    [tony@tony-lx ~]$

    > > Because I had a UMAX scanner once, it didn't work until I had SANE
    > > download some firmware to the scanner.

    > I've never done that. I guess that might be the problem. But if it is,
    > then it's odd to me that the BIOS detects it just fine, and the same SCSI
    > card worked well with it on a previous version of Mandrake.

    I've never heard of re-flashing the firmware for it, and have most certainly
    not done so.

    [snip]

    --
    Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
    Buckinghamshire, England

  9. Re: SCSI scanner not recognized

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:37:59 -0400, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Attached devices:
    > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: HP Model: CD-Writer+ 9200 Rev: 1.0e
    > Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 04

    Ok, so the kernel is not detecting it. You can forget about installing
    or configuring modules, untill it does.

    You haven't said if you've checked termination.

    The internel cable must be terminated at the end of the cable, either
    by a device that provides termination, or by actual terminating
    resistors.

    Same with the external cable.

    The controller must also have termination set, when there is only
    one cable connected, but must not have termination set, when both
    internal and external cables are used.

    Check the swithes on your scannet, to ensure it is providing termination
    and is using a different deviceid, then the tape drive, and cdrom.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  10. Re: SCSI scanner not recognized

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:37:59 -0400, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >
    > > Attached devices:
    > > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
    > > Vendor: HP Model: CD-Writer+ 9200 Rev: 1.0e
    > > Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 04

    > Ok, so the kernel is not detecting it. You can forget about
    > installing or configuring modules, until it does.

    Yup.

    > You haven't said if you've checked termination.

    Checked? No. Installed? Yes. The external cable goes to
    the scanner and the scanner's 2nd SCSI connector is terminated
    with the same passive terminator I've used on it for years.
    Internally, the 68-pin SCSI connector on the Adaptec is unhooked.
    The 50-pin connector goes to the CD-ROM. That CD-ROM has a
    jumper to determine whether or not it terminates the SCSI chain.
    It needs to, since it's the only device on the chain. I'll pull
    the CD-ROM and check the jumpers.

    > The internel cable must be terminated at the end of the cable,
    > either by a device that provides termination, or by actual
    > terminating resistors.

    Do I need to throw a cable on the 68-pin connector on the Adaptec
    so that I can terminate the that connector? That feels odd, but
    I suppose I could try that.

    > Same with the external cable.

    Done.

    > The controller must also have termination set, when there is
    > only one cable connected, but must not have termination set,
    > when both internal and external cables are used.

    Are there jumpers on the board for that, or is it something I'd
    get to through the boot up prompts?

    > Check the swithes on your scanner, to ensure it is providing
    > termination and is using a different device id, then the tape
    > drive, and cdrom.

    I've been using these devices together for a very long time,
    years actually. Since my BIOS detects them on different IDs, and
    since they worked together before, I'd guess that the IDs are
    still fine. But, I suppose an ID jumper could have come loose,
    and I might as well check when I pull the CD-ROM to look at its
    termination jumper.

    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks Dave....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  11. Re: SCSI scanner not recognized

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > Ok, so the kernel is not detecting it. You can forget about
    > installing or configuring modules, until it does.
    >
    > You haven't said if you've checked termination.

    Neither the CDROM nor the tape drive were terminated on the
    internal ultra/SE connector on my Adaptec 19160B Ultra160 SCSI
    adapter. Both of these units are on the same 50-pin ribbon cable
    and have IDC50 connectors. See here for good SCSI connector
    pictures: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_connecters.html

    The SCSI hard drive is terminated on the 68-pin LVD internal
    connector. It works fine.

    The UMAX Astra 1220S scanner has a termination on one of its two
    DB25 SCSI-1 connectors. The scanner connector connects to the
    Adaptec 50-pin HD50 external connector.

    For some reason the exact same device setup works on my Mandrake
    9.0 system with a BusLogic SCSI card.

    With bad terminations on the Adaptec's internal 50-pin connector,
    then the scanner on the external 50-pin connector isn't
    recognized, nor is the hard drive on the internal 68-pin
    connector. But, both the CDROM and tape drive on the internal
    50-pin connector are recognized, and both of them are functional,
    even with the bad termination.

    By disconnecting the 50-pin cable from the Adaptec's internal
    connector, then the scanner and the hard drive work just fine.
    Obviously the CDROM and tape drive don't work.

    > The internel cable must be terminated at the end of the cable,
    > either by a device that provides termination, or by actual
    > terminating resistors.

    68-pin cable is terminated. 50-pin internal cable is
    unterminated.

    > Same with the external cable.

    50-pin external cable is terminated via pass through connector on
    scanner.

    > The controller must also have termination set, when there is
    > only one cable connected, but must not have termination set,
    > when both internal and external cables are used.

    I haven't found any provisions in the SCSI bios firmware for
    changing termination of the card.

    > Check the switches on your scanner, to ensure it is providing
    > termination and is using a different device id, then the tape
    > drive, and cdrom.

    Scanner is ID 6, tape drive is ID 5, CDROM is ID 1, hard drive is
    ID 2.

    Scanner had external termination. Hard drive has external
    termination. Neither CDROM nor tape drive have jumpers or
    switches for terminations, and I don't have a terminator on their
    cable.

    Right now I have the 68-pin internal cable disconnected. Xsane
    sees the scanner. I haven't tested further than that -- I ran
    out of time. I'll look at this some more.

    Thanks for the help!

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.