Can't install CentOS 5 on an Abit AB9 Pro - Hardware

This is a discussion on Can't install CentOS 5 on an Abit AB9 Pro - Hardware ; Has anyone been able to install CentOS5 or RHEL5 on a Core2 system? I have an Abit AB9 Pro (Core2, 965, ICH8R) system that is currently running FC6. I would like to switch to CentOS5 but I haven't been able ...

  1. Can't install CentOS 5 on an Abit AB9 Pro

    Has anyone been able to install CentOS5 or RHEL5 on a Core2 system? I
    have an Abit AB9 Pro (Core2, 965, ICH8R) system that is currently running
    FC6. I would like to switch to CentOS5 but I haven't been able to install
    it.

    The system.

    Abit AB9 Pro
    Core2 E6700
    8G
    2 x 320G Seagate Drives
    LiteOn SATA DVD ROM

    All drives and the DVD are connected to the Intel SATA ports, the
    motherboard won't boot from a DVD connected or the Silicon Image or
    JMicron ports. The Intel ports are in IDE mode, the board won't boot from
    the DVD if the ports are in AHCI mode.

    When I try to do the install it gets as far as loading the ata_piix
    driver, hangs for a long time and then asks for a driver.

    I've tried the noapic switch, didn't help.

    Are there any other suggestions?

  2. Re: Can't install CentOS 5 on an Abit AB9 Pro

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > Has anyone been able to install CentOS5 or RHEL5 on a Core2 system? I
    > have an Abit AB9 Pro (Core2, 965, ICH8R) system that is currently running
    > FC6. I would like to switch to CentOS5 but I haven't been able to install
    > it.
    >
    > The system.
    >
    > Abit AB9 Pro
    > Core2 E6700
    > 8G
    > 2 x 320G Seagate Drives
    > LiteOn SATA DVD ROM
    >
    > All drives and the DVD are connected to the Intel SATA ports, the
    > motherboard won't boot from a DVD connected or the Silicon Image or
    > JMicron ports. The Intel ports are in IDE mode, the board won't boot from
    > the DVD if the ports are in AHCI mode.
    >
    > When I try to do the install it gets as far as loading the ata_piix
    > driver, hangs for a long time and then asks for a driver.
    >
    > I've tried the noapic switch, didn't help.
    >
    > Are there any other suggestions?

    try all-generic-ide at the boot prompt --> linux all-generic-ide

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

+ Reply to Thread