Secondary Slave CDROM Detection / Configuration - Hardware

This is a discussion on Secondary Slave CDROM Detection / Configuration - Hardware ; Hi, I have a new laptop that's running 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP. I cannot use my CD/DVD burner since it's configured as a slave device on the secondary IDE channel (by itself). As a result, I cannot locate the device in ...

  1. Secondary Slave CDROM Detection / Configuration

    Hi,

    I have a new laptop that's running 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP. I cannot
    use my CD/DVD burner since it's configured as a slave device on the
    secondary IDE channel (by itself). As a result, I cannot locate the
    device in dmesg, lspci, etc...

    I contacted the manufacturer, and they cannot provide a solution at
    this time. I'm curious to know if there's a workaround to get the
    device working in Linux. I know the optical drive works; I
    successfully installed Linux from it. I've read that it must be setup
    as a master, if it's on it's own ide channel. However, I cannot do
    this from the bios, and I have no idea where the jumpers are, if they
    even exist.

    If you know how I might be able to do this, please let me know, I
    would really appreciate it. Otherwise, I guess my only alternative is
    a firewire/usb external drive.

    Thanks,

    DJ

  2. Re: Secondary Slave CDROM Detection / Configuration

    Diamond Jim staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I have a new laptop that's running 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP.

    Does this laptop have a make and model#? That information is vital to
    solving your problem.

    > I cannot use my CD/DVD burner since it's configured as a slave device
    > on the secondary IDE channel (by itself). As a result, I cannot locate
    > the device in dmesg, lspci, etc...

    lspci reports devices on the PCI bus, so you'd see the IDE chipset
    there, not IDE devices. IDE devices all match hd.* , so dmesg | grep hd
    should return something. Unless you're trying to use the not-ready-yet
    libata-PATA support.

    > I'm curious to know if there's a workaround to get the device working
    > in Linux.

    Provide the make and model# of the laptop, the name of its IDE chipset,
    and the distro name and version.

    > I know the optical drive works; I successfully installed Linux from
    > it.

    Using which version of which distro?

    > I've read that [a drive] must be set up as a master, if it's on [its]
    > own ide channel. However, I cannot do this from the bios, and I have
    > no idea where the jumpers are, if they even exist.

    They'd be on the drive itself. Remove it from its Ultrabay or
    equivalent, look on the back near the IDE connector.

    --
    One RAID to rule them all, One RAID to bind them
    One RAID to hold the files and in the darkness grind them

  3. Re: Secondary Slave CDROM Detection / Configuration

    I found a solution the problem. I'm not entirely sure if it's the only
    way to solve it, but it works for me.

    The optical drive info: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7530A

    Solution: LILO

    I stumbled across a discussion thread with an identical bug. It seems
    that Grub has trouble correctly loading the ata_piix module (please
    correct me if I'm wrong).
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...45#post2706945

    I missed the important log message in the dmesg output:

    ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x00010177

    Dances with crows:
    I didn't provide the laptop make and model, since it's a Eurocom and
    many people are not too familiar with these laptops. I also, didn't
    bother with the distribution information, since I thought it's a low
    level kernel problem. It appears that the device cannot be (at least
    from any sensible way) set to master mechanically. I don't think the
    Master/Slave was the problem, though.

    DJ

    On Jun 5, 10:04 am, Dances With Crows
    wrote:
    > Diamond Jim staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >
    > > I have a new laptop that's running 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP.

    > Does this laptop have a make and model#? That information is vital to
    > solving your problem.
    >
    > > I cannot use my CD/DVD burner since it's configured as a slave device
    > > on the secondary IDE channel (by itself). As a result, I cannot locate
    > > the device in dmesg, lspci, etc...

    > lspci reports devices on the PCI bus, so you'd see the IDE chipset
    > there, not IDE devices. IDE devices all match hd.* , so dmesg | grep hd
    > should return something. Unless you're trying to use the not-ready-yet
    > libata-PATA support.
    >
    > > I'm curious to know if there's a workaround to get the device working
    > > in Linux.

    > Provide the make and model# of the laptop, the name of its IDE chipset,
    > and the distro name and version.
    >
    > > I know the optical drive works; I successfully installed Linux from
    > > it.

    > Using which version of which distro?
    >
    > > I've read that [a drive] must be set up as a master, if it's on [its]
    > > own ide channel. However, I cannot do this from the bios, and I have
    > > no idea where the jumpers are, if they even exist.

    > They'd be on the drive itself. Remove it from its Ultrabay or
    > equivalent, look on the back near the IDE connector.
    >
    > --
    > One RAID to rule them all, One RAID to bind them
    > One RAID to hold the files and in the darkness grind them
    > In the land of Server where the Unix lies....
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

  4. Re: Secondary Slave CDROM Detection / Configuration

    Diamond Jim staggered into the Black Sun and said:

    Please don't top-post. Message rearranged and trimmed for easier
    reading:

    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> Does this laptop have a make and model#? That information is vital to
    >> solving your problem.
    >>> I cannot use my CD/DVD burner since it's configured as a slave
    >>> device on the secondary IDE channel (by itself). As a result, I
    >>> cannot locate the device in dmesg, lspci, etc...

    >> IDE devices all match hd.* , so dmesg | grep hd should return
    >> something. Unless you're trying to use the not-ready-yet libata-PATA
    >> support.

    > I stumbled across a discussion thread with an identical bug. It seems
    > that Grub has trouble correctly loading the ata_piix module (please
    > correct me if I'm wrong).
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...45#post2706945
    >
    > I missed the important log message in the dmesg output:
    > ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x00010177

    Aha. I see they're trying to use libata-PATA. From what I can tell,
    this is not a good idea right now; there are too many problem reports.
    All the IDE devices I've had work fine without libata, so I'm not going
    to fix what isn't broke for a while yet.

    > I didn't provide the laptop make and model, since it's a Eurocom and
    > many people are not too familiar with these laptops.

    There are 3 pages covering the Eurocom 1200, 3100, and 4200 on
    tuxmobil.org . If you have a different model#, it might be a good idea
    to write up a page.

    > I also didn't bother with the distribution information, since I
    > thought it's a low level kernel problem.

    Providing the distro name and version will make it easier for other people
    who have a Eurocom $FOO to install a distro that doesn't have this
    problem. It's not so much for me, but for the other people.

    > I don't think the Master/Slave was the problem, though.

    Nope, the problem has multiple causes and multiple solutions. One of
    "use LILO", "don't use libata", or "build PIIX chipset support directly
    into the kernel instead of using modules" would've fixed it.

    --
    People don't tend to get paid.
    --MegaHAL, trained on Netizen's quotes file